Month in Tens – January 11 -20

Shooting the Ordinary – When Pretty is Not the Point

See … http://progressivetimes.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/how-many-politicians-does-it-take-to-not-screw-in-a-light-bulb/ for a little bulb enlightenment.

As you can see, there is beauty in and around the Falls and across the border, but a drive down Main Street does show abundantly much to be done to become a thriving city. There is architecture that is worth the effort to save, but the city, for over twenty years that I have lived here, has done nothing but take the path of a downward spiral. It has lost beautiful architecture and great businesses. If I did not live so close to Niagara Falls, I would not choose to live in this part of the city.

This entry was posted in City Life, garden, Month in Tens, Niagara Falls, photography, photos, Photoshop and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Month in Tens – January 11 -20

1. Christine says:

Love the photos Donna, especially 18 and 19 Jan!

2. The ordinary can be beautiful, if only more folks would realize that.

3. Stunning photos! Yes, Niagara Falls needs an attitude adjustment. There is so much potential! I’m not sure what, or more likely who, is holding it back. We need the right people to lead the way.

4. ddonabella says:

So sad how so many towns and small cities in upstate NY are on that downward spiral…wonderful pics of the ordinary…love the cold sparrows…poor things..

5. HolleyGarden says:

I have often wondered about cities that spiral downward. It seems something could be done, but exactly what the solution would be, I’m not sure. Such a sad statement in many parts of America.

6. b-a-g says:

Some sad and some beautiful photos. I assumed visitors to the Niagara Falls would bring a lot of income to your town.

7. I think there is a lot of ‘pretty’ in the ordinary, sometimes even the ugly. I love that old tree…so stable and regal. Beautiful photos!

8. Nothing ordinary about your photography, though, Donna.

9. Marguerite says:

Good job turning ordinary sights into extraordinary photos.

10. I agree with the others–nothing is ordinary when you are operating the camera! I love this kind of post–everything is a miracle when you think of it that way. Here’s hoping that 2012 will be a good year for the country and for your community!

11. Alistair says:

Yes Donna, ordinary can be satisfying and reassuring.. By coincidence my secondary subject on my current post revolves around the demise of our city centre which seems to be an economic thing which is also to be seen outside of the US.

12. lula says:

An educated eye, can see where the details, are, Congrats!

13. helensadornmentsblog says:

My favorite pictures were of the rain and snow. I live in Atlanta so snow is totally out of the ordinary around here.

14. Barbie says:

Such interesting views of images – beauty is everywhere!! I also love 18 & 19 January (just like Christine!) 🙂

15. Hi Donna, how sad to watch your city deteriorate around you. Your photos are wonderful, as always, you even bring beauty to the “Friday 13th” feeling. Love the lightbulb photos.

16. Malinda says:

We’re definitely living in a different time. You’re essay is both poignant and hopeful. Some types of beauty are less obvious but no less beautiful.

17. I love the idea of photographing the ordinary. It’s always frustrating to see the core of a city die. I’ve lived in a couple towns where the city centers were almost ghost towns. Great commentary, as usual. I enjoy your political point of view!

18. Stunning once again and very thought provoking. You are too fast for me–I missed picking this post, sorry.