Sticks, Stones, Leaves and Logs, a Pictorial in Tens

As I have been noting in the Calendar, our weather has been anything but usual. Many places across the country are reporting similar odd weather.

We have had a mere 16 inches of snow to date, where typical snow fall by this date would be about five feet.

The days have been see-sawing between rain, snow, ice and sun. This has been a bit confusing to growing plants. The last two days it has been in the fifties by the afternoon.

But who needs blooms when the weather helps you see some of nature’s own little intricacies? Nature has been providing some really mild days to take a ‘Springtime’ walk.

I have been looking to find some interest where there generally is none. Most would say these little discards have no real interest and I would agree in a casual passing.

And probably they would be better explained with a clever caption or witty thought.

But I find the point to these images is to have no thought, to just look at the light, the form the tiny detail. To enjoy the day, no matter how seasonally unusual.

I find so many fallen logs, weathered sticks, moss-covered stones, and fallen leaves taking their turn to become the rich soil that will support new life. Some require eons of time, others a mere season.

It gets you thinking a lot about time, a lot about mortality, a lot about seasonal change, and a lot about the beauty to come. All this with no intention to think at all, well not about the little complexities of daily life anyway.

In my garden, I leave the sticks for the birds, I place the stones for the critters to stay warm, I use the poplar logs as a functional feature, and I mulch the leaves for the garden to grow strong and healthy. I have been thinking, and thinking a lot about what I do for nature. It is pretty much to pay forward what nature does for me. And that is overwhelming. I have a post coming called Nature Lasts All Year Round for the Niagara Falls Garden magazine and it is a tour in the garden to show what the garden offers wildlife and why year-round the garden is teeming with life. My garden is really tiny, but it offers quite a bit to those that visit.

More sticks, stones,leaves and logs, when nothing is blooming, you look to the weather for the interest and all that you find during any typical January, is Ordinary finds. The weather is what is not ordinary this year though.

The Climate of New York

Northeast Regional Climate Center

This entry was posted in garden, Month in Tens, Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Sticks, Stones, Leaves and Logs, a Pictorial in Tens

1. I cannot believe how it changes in a day from cold to feets of snow to warm and melt and back to cold…such a strange pattern. You take what folks would think are the ordinary in nature and you make it extraordinary through your lens….makes me want to take a walk in the woods.

2. Littleskew says:

You have some amazing images here

3. Layanee says:

You are so right about the intricacies and paying attention to the small things nature offers especially this season when there is little snow. A blessing really.

4. Cathy and Steve says:

Last year was an anomaly for us in that we got almost 9 feet of snow over the course of the winter. This year, excluding the storm we had in October, it’s less than 6 inches total. Fortunately, the weather has been on the mild side so our roses haven’t had to deal with ice or frigid, drying winds, but this is only Groundhog Day and so much can happen in the next 6 weeks! So many of your images, however, are so telling as your unusual weather pattern is similar to ours.

As for your photographs, those moss covered rocks are such a vibrant spot on the winter landscape! Stunning!

5. Cathy and Steve says:

PS…. love the “new look” of your blog!

6. We’re having a La Nina year, which is affecting our weather. In October, meteorologist Aaron Mentkowski predicted a warmer winter, but I don’t think he expected it to be this warm.

Great photos, as always!

7. Carolyn says:

You’ve discovered some real beauties through your lens, Donna. Always a joy to visit you.

8. elaine says:

I think that is one of the joys of having to produce a regular post for a blog – it makes you look much closer at what is going on around you. Nature in all its forms is amazing.

9. Awesome images. Nature is indeed amazing!

10. Barbie says:

I love the Bag Flag 🙂 . I love the photos and he lighting is exquisite – something to strive for. THanks for sharing.

11. love the moss covered stones!! Beautiful images 🙂

12. andrea says:

When you say it is 16in of snow, i thought that’s thick! But when you said that is so low compared to 5 ft, I shuddered, can’t imagine that thick snow. You should understand that we don’t have it. Then i suddenly remember we first met via the oak leaf when you asked me about dehiscent spot. After a year, i almost know a lot about you as a very good artist, photographer, writer, and now you are telling us much more! You always amaze me, and i appreciate you! By the way, that mossy stone photo is very climate versatile, we also have it.

{Re: you want to come over-if you will come, i offer my personal services as a guide and companion}

Our winters are always mild with fluctuating temperatures. Except for your snowfall, which would be monumental for us, it sounds like you have had a taste of wintertime Alabama! One thing I love about this time of year is the opportunity to appreciate sticks and stones and rotten logs. I do like the pathos of winter. And it does all set such a stage for the upcoming spring!

14. helensadornmentsblog says:

Your photos are beautiful. The weather is extremely mild in Atlanta, Ga this year too. Today was 65 degrees and sunny. Our Winters are usually in the 30’s and 40’s. We have received much rainfall this season.

15. GirlSprout says:

I love the hollowed out log. You inspire me to see a little more than I normally would and to take a breath and see what’s around me. I’ve awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Thanks so much for all of the photos and thoughts you’ve shared.

16. Mats says:

Some really nice photos! Well done indeed. Hope you’ll have a nice weekend!

17. Patty says:

Donna you are now the recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award! http://bit.ly/yhCUbI Hooray!

• Patty, that is two different Donnas getting the award. PP did not select GWGT. The congrats should go the Donna at Garden Eye View and Dona at La Terrazza. I have received the nomination a few times and am very appreciative, yet I have not participated in passing it along. Too many blogs that I read and enjoy, I do not want to leave any out. I find too many bloggers that are not mentioned that should be in certain cases and bloggers that are omitted by others you would not think would be by how often they comment on each others’ blogs. I found it better to sit on the sidelines.

18. HolleyGarden says:

I agree with what you said about winter being a time to think about time, morality, etc. It does seem to give us time to stop for a bit. These are beautiful images.

19. b-a-g says:

I like the rocks washed smooth. Symbolic of persistence.

20. Ida says:

So many wonderful shots here. I am finding that having started taking my camera along the (ordinary) becomes something totally different. Your post was well done.

21. I forgot to mention last time that I really like your new header. My favorite photo is the moss covered rocks but all your photos catch my eye. I too am sort of ambivalent about the blogger awards. I am honored to be selected because the blogs that have chosen me really do read my blog, but I feel that awarding to some always leaves others out. Very interesting book if you have time: Punished by Reward by Alfie Cohen.

22. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, I find the mild weather somewhat unsettling. Although I appreciate the novelty of mild temperatures, I know it is not “normal” and that has me feeling off kilter.

23. I enjoy these images very much. Winter has blessings indeed!

24. I love the way you are able to take the time to spot the beauty in the things so easily ignored. Stones, moss, branches, leaves, seeing the beauty in the ordinary is a great gift, and your images help all of us share in that. Plus, given that I am currently not able to get out and about with my own camera, it is good to enjoy the results from yours.

25. You make a good point, Donna–not every picture needs to tell a story. (Even I would have trouble coming up with captions for some of the photos above!) All of your photos are aesthetically pleasing, and many of these invite reflection.