Month in Tens of Avian Motion – February 1 Calendar

Ten for Ten, looking at birds in flight, and a few antlers.

The Red-Tailed Hawk photographed at hundreds of yards away and ducks over the River.

These images of geese are cropped out from larger images.

They were not quite as close as they appear.

Graceful Landing

In the image below, the hawk was very high in a tree and far away to boot. I will give you a tip from the professionals. You would be surprised how often good photos are taken at a wildlife preserve or animal rehabilitation center. The captive birds are very accessible and easy to get closeup photos. I read this tip from a very famous wildlife photographer. He said to just ask the organization for permission to photograph at the rehab center and they may oblige. He also said to wait until the birds are exercised to get flight shots, falcons especially.

It is like me shooting the elk and zebra at the farm. I would never get them like this in the wild, yet at the farm, they are my ready models. Zoos are another place he mentioned to get good photos. I have to agree on this one because where would one find a condor or vulture like this one below, and get such a closeup image that its eyelashes are clearly in view?

I cannot help myself on the geese, though. I know they are ordinary, but I find them so fun to watch. Hawks are hard to photograph because as soon as you point a camera at them they fly off. My biggest problem with them is how far away they perch in tall trees. But the geese are less afraid and even will come close for a bite of corn on occasion.

Plus, geese and ducks are plentiful like seagulls. Now if I could only figure out how to lure the hawks in when I am out in the fields.

Same Flight Sequence

Maybe instead of tossing corn, it should be juicy, raw hamburger! Just kidding, pretty sure they would not fall for that one.

Same Flight Sequence, but the Hawk Circled Back

And how is my weather calendar progressing? Let’s check out February and a few tips for the month, flora and fauna.

My anecdotal look seems to have supporting evidence looking a Climate Change in our area. Here is a wonderful article at Buffalo-Niagara Gardening.com entitled, What does climate change mean for Buffalo-area gardeners? If you are local, see what this means for us here in Western New York. They have supporting data charts in the article.

• 1 February 2012 8 am 49° Sunny
  • 2 February 2012 9 am 50° Sun and Clouds
  • 3 February 2012 10 am 43° Sun
  • 4 February 2012 10 am 42° Cloudy
  • 5 February 2012 1 pm 40° Part Sun
  • 6 February 2012 4 pm 41° Sunny
  • 7 February 2012 2 pm 36° Cloudy and Sun
  • 8 February 2012 10 am 32° Sunny
  • 9 February 2012 11 am 35° Sunny
  • 10 February 2012 8 am 29° Cloudy  and Chance of Snow Late Evening

This entry was posted in Birds, Month in Tens, Nature, photography, photos, The Month in Tens and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Month in Tens of Avian Motion – February 1 Calendar

1. The images above are fantastic..

2. I really like the pictures of the geese against the backdrop of the apartment building. It shows how they’ve adapted to our urban spaces.

Thanks for mentioning the climate change article!

3. Spectacular shots of the birds! I too struggle getting shots of the hawks, although I see them often they are perched up high and far away. I find the ordinary the most fun to photograph. Probably because it is readily available and I can practice and play around with lots of shot sequences.

4. HolleyGarden says:

Your geese pictures are great, but hawks are always so impressive. I, too, like the picture of the geese with the apartments best. And your vulture picture is fabulous!

5. I love your birds in flight pictures…I loved the article…fascinating how we are warming up although your warm up is probably slightly different given your closeness to the lakes and Falls…we are due for snow this weekend and frigid temps…more like typical Feb weather…I am hopeful that next week as we warm a bit that the trend will be to keep going and warm the ground enough to finally thaw for an early spring…

6. Laurrie says:

I love the geese in flight photos. They are so ungainly and so sleek at the same time. So common but still so rare looking. You’ve captured their odd contrasts beautifully.

7. Lona says:

What beautiful pictures. I love watching the geese around the lakes here. The hawk is amazing. Have a wonderful weekend.

8. nhgarden says:

I love your photos of the geese 🙂 They are not ordinary!

9. Your photos are amazing, Donna! Just beautiful. The eyelashes on the vulture are amazing.

You weather looks very similar to ours, though I expect that it gets a bit colder at night where you are. It has been so nice to have the 40 or 50 degree days mixed in to February, has it not? I was a bit concerned about my bulbs not getting enough cold, but it has been in the 20s and 30s more consistently recently.

10. helensadornmentsblog says:

I really like how you put together the flight sequence of the birds. It has inspired me to get a little more creative with picture placement on my blog.

11. I think a trip to the zoo is in order! I am terrible at capturing wildlife! Plants are more my speed (literally and figuratively). 😉 These are simply amazing shots, Donna! And the calendar is probably pretty close to what I need to do about now, too. Thanks!

12. Kala says:

The detail in that close-up shot of the condor is excellent. I will keep in mind going to a nature preserve to get wildlife captures.

Donna, how I’ve missed visiting! I am enthralled with your pictures of the birds. Every one of these photos is amazing. Great idea on the wildlife reserves for photo opportunities.

Geese in flight always intrigued me, they are so streamlined in the air. Hawks are very skittish, but unfortunately, for good reason, since so many people can’t be trusted. You have some wonderful photos of them.

Winter returned here after so many people thought it was over. Last night we received about 4″ of snow, but at least it’s something to cover the ground with.

14. Dear Donna, Your photos are stunning — who knew birds have eyelashes?!! Thanks so much for tips I’ll use. P. x

15. I have been attempting to get some photos of the hawks I see around here, but I have not been able to get close enough…I’ll keep trying. I love the geese photos on the snow…lovely!

16. KL says:

The pictures are so fantastic but I really like the first one.

17. jakesprinter says:

Excellent post my friend always 🙂

18. Your weather isn’t that much colder than ours—scary.

19. Bridget says:

Great pics! My fave is the one of the Deer with the Goose overhead.

20. Christine says:

OMG! Your photos are amazing!! Really great Donna!

21. Indie says:

Awesome photos! I love the one of the Canadian goose over the snow. Even common birds are so interesting – their world is so different from ours. Today I saw a whole flock of sea gulls laying down in a Walmart parking lot. Even though they may be considered common, they are so pretty and add such life to a drab area.

22. */-)ndr¡X* says: