GBBD A Day and Night

Morning All! Happy GBBD.

Let’s start the clock at 8 am after a previous evening rain and see what I find to photograph. All images were taken on the 14th but nothing is any different on the 15th. Sun predominantly both days, but a small chance of thunderstorms late afternoon today is expected. Some images were taken at the farm, and some, from inside the house. Take a walk and see what is blooming, despite the snow on the 9th.

Small clumps of Snowdrops, Leucojum and a few isolated crocus made their appearances. FYI, these early bloomers are in a very warm and protected area. I have a unique micro-climate due to an abundance of masonry and protective shrubs. The trees and shrubs cut down the damaging winds. The brick and stone masonry warms the soil temperatures and helps to retain moisture.

I photographed each hour of the day whether I was at my office at home or at the farm. I find this fascinating because, as in the previous post, you see and focus on something different by following the sun.  You can see I have not cleaned out the beds yet, but must do so soon as the tulips and daffodils are pushing out.

Buds are bursting and I suspect with the temperatures rising into the sixties (76° on Tuesday) during the day and evenings of consistent 50s, plants will be on the fast tract. This is really odd March weather for us.

I left for the farm after lunch. The daffodils, holly, goose feather, and rose hips are all taken at the farm. There is so much more I could have captured because Spring at a tree and shrub farm is pretty phenomenal. Shortly, you will see huge fields of blossoming trees buzzing with digger bees. The digger bees can fly in cooler temperatures than honeybees and are the main pollinators for fruit trees very early in the growing season. The adult digger bees are active during April into May just when the trees get blooming and rarely are attracted to the ground flowering weeds, left for other pollinators. They are often not found in fruit orchards though. This is because the ground is tilled and furrowed to control weeds. The bees don’t fly far from their feeding trees and need safe nesting areas. Last year, I showed you where the digger bees nest at the farm.

The Canada Geese are back at the lake. They are getting ready with nesting sites on the center island. I showed you this also last year on April 10th with the geese incubating their eggs on their down filled nests. I find the farm in Spring so much more interesting than my own garden, but I do have quite a bit blooming in April and May. I hope to get you more farm shots this year. It is our busy time and I often don’t get much camera time there or at home.

The holly this year had more berries than normal. The ones in the field, raised for sale, were loaded with fruit. These are ornamentals planted in the gardens.

The sedum is in my garden, as are the hydrangea and everything after 5 pm..

New burgundy buds on the Hydrangea are a welcome sight popping up amongst the spent flowers from last year.

This is a rose standard that resides in my office through winter. It has now moved outdoors. The little roses are not very pleased at the cooler nighttime conditions. My office temperatures are about 60° at night and the roses and orchids seem to prefer this. The Kalanchoe is in my foyer with the African Violets (shown last post), toasty warm.

My trees and shrubs are up-lighted at night. I do have ambient light also which can be seen in the previous post in the Black and White image of the back garden in the snow on March 9th. I am more fond of the lighted garden in the snow and in summer, yet the bare trees do add garden interest. They add Tracery, our W4W on Wednesday the 28th.

Good Night!

Oh, before I go… see the other GBBD posts at May Dreams Gardens and Seepferds Garten. Coming up…The River Walk continues on Sunday. See a place I have not taken you to yet.

This entry was posted in FLOWERS, garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, GBBD and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to GBBD A Day and Night

1. Barbie says:

How absolutely delightful !! Thank you for this beautiful display of new blooms – spring is a wonderful season.

2. gardeningasylum says:

I love this idea for a post – a bit like that show 24 without all the violence 🙂 There is so much happening in the garden, you do need a day to get it all in – love your hellebore pix and tracery trees esp!

3. Marisa says:

Wonderful photographs! I think you have captured the essence of spring.

4. Sherri B. says:

Thank you for sharing all of your Spring happiness…it gives me hope that one day our spring will arrive! Have a great day! xo

5. I love the uplighting and the closeups. I spotted a crocus in my yard yesterday, but only one. I think the rabbits and squirrels ate all the rest.

6. Wonderful! So enjoyed this walk and look forward to a River walk! I would like to add some uplighting soon in my garden. Beautiful!

7. HolleyGarden says:

Loved how you photographed from morning to night. Your uplighting is better than any bloom! Gorgeous! Of course, I enjoyed the booms, too – especially those beautiful orchids (which I can’t seem to grow either inside or out!).

8. Erica says:

Great idea, and I like that you focused on all sorts of things and not just blooms – like the feather and the uplighted trees and all the berries. Gorgeous.

9. I always love visiting your blog and enjoy the creative way you display your lovely photos as a calendar. Your gardens are beautiful as always ! Happy GBBD!

10. b-a-g says:

Stunning as always Donna. Snowdrops at 9am and the sedums at noon are my faves.

11. Wonderful day long post…so much fast tracking to bloom…I have daff buds ready to bloom this weekend I predict…wow!!

12. Les says:

I have always admired trees lit at night, they add a real sense of class (not that you need it, I am sure). Happy GBBD.

13. I was here earlier today and for some reason couldn’t comment. Hope it goes through this time. I really like the photos at different times of day…angle of the sun really showcases different attributes of anything you photograph.

14. I enjoyed this concept. I think I would like to adapt this to a children’s activity for my gardening class. It would teach the kids to be more observant to their environment and fun to see what they will discover and notice. Your spring is really lovely. I love the goose feather in the grass and all those snowdrops!

15. What a great idea–following the blooms by the hour and the sun! We have some of the same things blooming, but you are a little ahead of me. Isn’t it great to turn off the furnace and put away the winter coats? Happy GBBD!

16. Wonderful walk, Donna! I love the “through the day” organization. You have more blooming in your microclimate than I do in mine… only one little Narcissus Tete-e-tete is peeking its head out.
    I love your lighting also, in this post and the last one too.
    Happy GBBD!

ps- WordPress is locking out my email for some reason… I hope it is not affecting the rest of your comments for you.

17. Mark and Gaz says:

The snow drops photo at the top is simply stunning. The small splashes of green on each petal really makes a great galanthus!

18. Indie says:

What a beautiful photo of the Leucojum! This was my first year growing them, and they are such graceful plants. I’ll bet the farm is a sight to see in spring! I love spring blooming trees with so many beautiful pastel colors.

19. Your large clumps of leucojum (bigger than mine) and snowdrops are gorgeous. So fun to see them in Niagara Falls. Robins always come and eat all my deciduous holly berries pretty early in the fall. You are lucky that yours stay.

20. Kala says:

Glorious images of early spring in this series. Love those snowdrops!

21. Gesine says:

Dearest Donna,
    me and my Pooch (I learned a new word!), like your lighted trees very much 🙂
    As ever all your pictures are so lovely, I could not say which one I like most!
    Thank you so much for your support, you and Diana from ZA are so loyal, I´m so happy I met you!
    Wish you a great weekend!
    Gesine

22. Andrea says:

Hello Donna, how are you? I have not been to the internet for the past few days since i joined my friend to his farm nestled between hills. I was absent for 2 days for that, also went down some small creeks and looked for a waterfall.
    I always love snowdrops and crocus in blogs because after seeing it once in Turkey, there might not have a second chance. And your photos always make the experience more exciting. Thanks.

• I tried to get your comment to post, Andrea, by changing around your information, the email address was in the wrong place when you filled in the boxes, but I cannot get it to list now. Sorry.

23. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, I stopped in the other day, but got interrupted before I could leave a comment. I thought that I would stop back today and say how what a nice job you did on your GBBD post this time around.

24. sergioslandscaping says:

You have captured crocus beauties in their natural environment and they are indeed lovely. Being a part of the lawn maintenance Phoenix industry, we are aware that Spring is such a great season to see these flowers as well as other plants that are abloom. Thank you for sharing your great photos.