Join Us Next Week for W4W

W4W Inspiration for April 25… Inspiration

Dark, yet dreamy… the story will be revealed.

Do you sit and stare at a blank screen, which appears to be taunting you by your lack of ideas?  It happens to everybody, especially those that blog. But there are ways to…

Find inspiration. Yes, that illusive concept that magically appears out of nowhere. Do you ever try to give it a nudge when drawing blanks?

Pick a color because color has association and emotion. It just might start a fire of inquiry.

And your best bet…GREEN. Recent studies show green to be a very inspiring color, great kick-butt motivation for design professionals. Did they really need a study for this? Anyone in touch with nature knows how important the color green is to both calm (restful and relaxing) and excite (get those creative juices flowing). My office is filled with green. Green helps everyone, the study says, even when just looking at a computer screen displaying a green square for a few moments. Who knew it was that easy?

“The reason behind the creativity hike may be that green is a signal of growth (both physical and psychological),” says Dr. Stephanie Lichtenfield. “Green may serve as a cue that evokes the motivation to strive for improvement and task mastery, which in turn may facilitate growth.”

Sometimes, working with your hands excites the mind. Tinkering in the garden (lots of green)? Exercising the body leads to exercising creativity, and going for a nature walk comes to mind. More green. Take a walk outside to clear the mind and get some fresh air.  Work isn’t always productive, and the brain needs some period of inactivity.

A walk in the woods gets the imagination spinning. A Hanzel and Grettle  or Little Red Ridinghood feel to this image, no? Going from the light and known into the dark and unknown. Seek ambiguity or contradiction. The image above is from the Post GGW – Into the Woods on Green Apples. The blog with the hip green colored apple, no accident. And Apple Green is the most inspiring shade I believe.

Contrasting two things often exaggerates each of them, creates tension and adds visual interest.  Simply by putting a smooth texture next to a rough texture, both become stronger in composition, more apparent because of juxtaposition. It is the same as putting a moving object into a stationary scene, thereby, enhancing the motion in the resulting image. The use of opposites like light and dark, soft and hard, and the contrast of tonal elements are applicable to all areas of design, whether you are designing a garden or framing up a photograph.

Being ‘in the between’ with light beyond…

Maybe even resort to Googling the word inspiration, to see what images populate the screen. But don’t be too disappointed when seeing images that are tagged as such in a sea of the totally uninspiring. Even from this ‘failed’ exercise, ideas can be found. Inspiration can be gained from seeing that which is not.

A lot happens in a drop of water… what little world awaits.

See much more inspiration coming up, three additional posts with ways to kick-start inspiration. The next post looks at how others can inspire, where creativity breeds creativity. I hope you are inspired and your curiosity aroused. Inspiration is a great word for W4W on Wednesday, 25 April. Plan to join along.

Who inspires you? Where do you go to get inspired? How do you find your subjects to blog? What gives you the spark for your ideas? When is the best time to sit back and open up your mind? Can you picture it? Can you put it to words? You have a week to ponder, plus three more posts to give you food for thought.

This entry was posted in Art, Blogging, COLOR, Design, garden, Inspiration, Nature, photography, photos, rain, Thoughts and Observations and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Join Us Next Week for W4W

1. helensadornmentsblog says:

Your photos inspire me. They are always so beautiful. I think I will take my camera on a nature walk tomorrow.

2. One says:

Hi Donna, I must say your photos are spectacular. I couldn’t help admiring the green spiral leaf especially. Yes, I am inspired by your post… 🙂

3. b-a-g says:

Just in time ! – I was wondering what to blog about next week.

4. I am at that blank stage at the moment – nothing is coming to me – so I will take heed of your advice, inspired by your lovely pictures.

• I don’t get lack of ideas, I sometimes get lack of motivation. Blogging sometimes becomes a chore when WP an Blotanical make like difficult. I have been having a hard time leaving comments on others’ posts, and this has made blogging a real pain.

5. andrea says:

Your photos always inspire me, and i get disappointed when i cannot get mine just as near yours. Usually, i take it to mean my equipment is limiting, but i know as they say, it is not in the camera but in the eye of the photographer. I wonder why i always fall short of what i want to see in them. But never mind, even if my photos do not inspire me that much, at least I have lots of inspiration from blogging friends. And i thank them for that. I am thinking of a different inspiration post, very different from everybody’s!

6. gauchoman2002 says:

Very inspiring indeed. Hopefully this time around I can get my backside in gear and actually participate in the W4W. Thanks for the inspiration!!

7. I get inspired every time I go out into the garden or take the dogs for a walk. I continually find new plants to identify and share. Love the hosta screensaver.

• The screensaver is one that comes on a Mac. I only use a neutral grey background because it is best for the work I do. But green being inspirational, it is tempting to leave it on my display. When I had my dogs, I would often get great architecture ideas on dog walks. I used to carry a sketch pad for that reason too.

8. your words and pictures are a breath of fresh air Donna and just might need jog along with you on this one when the ideas dry up and the topics go stale 🙂

• I have friends that do just that, and today one came with me on a shoot I set up for today. I find it very fun when I am not by myself. I like to see where others choose to shoot a subject. We bounce off ideas on each other too. My friend has a specialized blog geared to our region and community.

9. ddonabella says:

Your pictures certainly give inspiration…this will be a most interesting w4w

10. Thanks for the heads up about next Wednesday’s word. Who know what will inspire me by then? I’m looking forward to finding out.

• There is always some inspiration out there waiting to be plucked from thin air I think. You are such a talented writer, that I bet a post from you would be very interesting and inspiring.

11. Marguerite says:

I tend to have the opposite problem. Too many ideas and not nearly enough time to write. I tend to free write whenever an idea comes up and I have lots of draft posts full of bits and pieces. Sometimes it’s as little as a single sentence. Many never get published but sometimes if I’m looking for something to post I go through those drafts and it usually kick starts something.

• I am glad you wrote in with additional ways to inspire. Writing down ideas like you do and saving them for later is a good tip. I am like you, always more ideas than I can handle. I don’t file them though, and should take up that practice. I do store posts in the hopper though by writing a bunch at one time.

12. I have been very lucky with blogging. Each post springs into my mind fully written. It’s like my subconcious has been writing the post and released it to my concious mind. I hope this never stops because it makes the whole process…inspiring!

13. HolleyGarden says:

I find my best inspiration when I’m working out in the garden. It always clears my head, and thoughts start to flow. Maybe it’s the green, or like you say the combination of green and exercise!

14. Indie says:

Love your pictures that show contrasting things! That is interesting that the color green stimulates inspiration.
    I just wrote on inspiration for my 100th post – it would have been very fitting! Thankfully, just going outside provides so much inspiration for me, maybe because I am still a fairly new gardener. So much to learn!

15. Gardening On A Dime says:

Green is Great! I like fresh rain water droplets on Bamboo leaves. Great pictures, great advise.
    Thanks!

16. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, Thanks for the prompt. I like to participate, but sometimes loose track of the dates for your W4W.

17. Great post for some inspiration I have a huge coastal print on my wall behind my computer but I love that screensaver. Is it an Canna or Banana leaf?

18. Denise says:

Your posts are always inspirational Donna. And so are your photographs!

19. AngryRedhead says:

I concur – green is fabulous!! The curtains in my living room are a bright solid green, and I love them. I’m terrible with houseplants so I bring green into the house with textiles and paint.

20. Mac_fromAustralia says:

That’s my problem, not enough time in the garden lately! The other place I find thoughts flowing is in the shower, surrounded by guess what, green tiles, but it’s a bit difficult to write things down.