Inspire for Earth Day – What’s Your Place on Planet Earth?

Did you ever stop to ponder this question?

[blip.tv http://blip.tv/play/hNNNgdf1JAI%5D

The Untamed Science team is working to help protect our planet Earth in one way or another. They ask, “What’s Your Place?” A simple question with a complex answer.

Their aim is to inspire others. The video was from 2010 but the message is still relevant anytime.

My place? I am proud to plant trees. Lots of trees. Trees are lasting, good for us and the environment, they clean the air we breathe, and they create a place of beauty. Because they live a long time, trees are planted as living memorials to loved ones.

I have a job that lets me specify lots of trees and for many different places and occasions. And not just because they are pretty, but because they serve. By properly placing a tree around a building, it can reduce air conditioning needs by about 30 percent, and they can save up to 50 percent (more likely in the range of 20% to 30% by reducing winter wind infiltration, among other factors) in energy for heating too.

Trees provide privacy, frame views, screen out objectionable views and noise pollution. They reduce glare, reflection and cool the area in which they grow. They soften, enhance and complement your architecture. They reduce storm runoff by storing water for their own needs, also aid in reducing flooding. Frost is reduced under trees because radiant energy is stored in the soil in those areas at night. This helps your other plants because radiant energy is released for those plants when they need it most.

These are things that my job demands of trees and I have to consider when specifying trees for sites.  Phew, that’s a lot of service, but there is more, much more.

In cities, trees moderate the heat-island effect caused by road surfaces, pedestrian pavement and commercial buildings, making for more comfortable city conditions for those that live, work and do business. In all areas, cities and countryside alike, trees provide for wildlife. And wildlife provides for us in the circle of life. Trees serve and I am thankful they do. Without trees, we would not exist, period.

I have a blog to educate about trees and inspire others as well. I like to think my blog has something useful, relevant and inspiring to say each and every day.

Individuals planting trees is a little part in the grand scheme of things, but, be a Johnny Appleseed yourself and spread the wealth of trees. A little times many equals a lot. And heavens knows, trees are lost at alarming rates everyday to make way for development and human sprawl, so every tree we plant that cannot be removed by someone else is a blessing to the environment and us a species. Melodramatic… yes but NO.

Earth Day is awareness, but it is also a call for action. It is what we do all year, every day and each hour. It is a time to invest in community, a time to be a considerate citizen of our planet. So…

What is Your Place?

In my line of work, I try to find inspiration in the character of place.  Trees create character.

Actions inspire.

Make sure to see my series on Inspiration. Each post has a way to be inspired or to inspire others.

This entry was posted in environment, Nature, photos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Inspire for Earth Day – What’s Your Place on Planet Earth?

1. John says:

Very good post. I think so a many people forget to think about the numerous positive things that trees do, from adding pleasing visual interest to any scene to helping mitigate summer sun and winter cold. It would be great if many other people thought about trees on the other 363 days a year besides Earth Day and Arbor Day.

2. Donna, you are an inspiration! This will be a fun W4W…so many different ways to go with this word. I have planted 7 new trees in my garden this year. I have a list of several more but will wait until fall/winter when they can establish themselves in better conditions and not a hot, dry summer where I would need to supplement water. Happy Earth Day!

3. I nominated your blog for The Versatile Blogger award. Here’s some information: http://versatilebloggeraward.wordpress.com/vba-rules/

4. Emily Heath says:

Flowering trees are also great for honey bees, and of course birds and squirrels can make a home in them, as well as many species of insects. Everyone’s a winner.

5. HolleyGarden says:

Wonderful post. I know first hand how much trees can help with air conditioning. The west side of my home was like an oven – so I planted 3 three trees there. Now it’s cool and a soothing place to be, inside as well as out. And a cool place to sit on the west side of a home in Texas is a wonderful and amazing thing!

6. b-a-g says:

I can honestly say that I’m inspired every time I visit your blog.

7. trailblazer1 says:

My husband, now retired, was a civil engineer for the Port of San Diego. He had the pleasure of purchasing trees, and designing where they would be planted. As I am from the East Coast, I miss the woods and the tall pines – most of what we have here are palms, scrub oak and eucalyptus. We live on the edge of a canyon, there is a stream – when it rains – so there is an assortment of greenery, and wildlife off our deck. Thank you for all that you do for preserving nature.

8. Grace says:

What a wonderful job! Planting and nurturing trees is a very high calling, indeed. Although there isn’t much room for more trees in my garden, I nurture the honey, bumble and mason bees with nectar-rich flowers. Plus I try to make people smile. Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog! It goes both ways.

9. My place is to educate the next generation about the importance of protecting our watersheds and recycling, both of which are topics in my classroom. It’s also to act as an example to the people in my neighborhood who remain enamored of cheap, easy chemical fixes for their yards. Great post!

10. You are so right. Earth Day is a call to action for the whole year and a lifetime. Planting trees is a great thing.

11. Indie says:

Great post. I think it is important to find a passion in one’s life just because it can make one’s life richer. But to find a passion that helps others and the environment is a truly worthy one indeed. In my heart I am a learner and teacher. It is amazing what my small garden has taught me, and how it has made me so aware of the environment around and how important it is.

12. My place is native plants and sustainable agriculture, if I can have two. Working with the Nature provides the best results.

13. Trees inspire and help us respire else we would all expire in the city ;)My place is amongst the concrete and clay and thanks to Victorian developers, green parks and squares. I’d swap for your piece of earth if I could have your skills too!

14. Another inspiring post Donna! I’ve just helped friends choose and plant 10 x wonderful trees outside their restaurant (in the middle of a built up area with no trees in site). The motivation was aesthetics, the result will be so much more … and we finished this task we had been working on for weeks just in time for earth day. Thank you for the constant inspiration and motivation your blog provides us with to live and garden sustainably.

15. A very interesting and inspiring post, Donna. I think this is an important question for all of us to ask ourselves. My place is a student, teacher, writer, photographer that learns and expresses my love of nature. Through my soul and into my heart, I hope I can breathe out the beauty of the natural world–the sounds, the sights, the fragrances, the textures–so that they may be appreciated and treasured.

16. Les says:

My place is to connect people with plants (retail garden center), but I really make an effort at steering them to choices that are appropriate for our region and for their garden. I also try to encourage gardeners to adopt practices that are more environmentally benign than what was once considered appropriate, and that can sometimes be an uphill battle. This is particularly important here in the Chesapeake Bay watershed. I hope all that didn’t sound too pretentious.

BTW, I recently read another asset to having trees around. When they line a shoreline, not only do they filter runoff and help control erosion, but the fallen leaves in the water encourage plankton, which as you know is the basis of the marine food chain.

17. andrea says:

Hi Donna, that is a lovely tribute to trees. Our archipelagic country has a lot of forests long ago, but loggers, both illegal and powerful, made our mountains bald, which we are reaping painfully now. Laws and regulations came after the resources are gone, being pro-active is only thought of at the end, when everything has been gone! At least in my own little way, as you said, i have planted trees in our parcels of land. Because they are not farmed anymore, i just plant trees at the boundaries and i am sure it means a lot, avoid erosion of our undulating areas and give the much needed carbon footprint. If only one person will plant 5 trees, it means a lot for the planet.

18. My garden and the way I garden inspires me to ponder my place on earth…I planted a few trees this year and will enjoy seeing them grow as my older trees decline…I wanted to say thx for recommending Frozen Planet…my husband and I loved the series…I hope to join in to w4w this month perhaps next week, but we shall see…just getting back on the computer after about a weeks absence…

19. It’s so important for everyone to have a “Whole Earth Consciousness,” yet I fear such people are in the minority.