W4W A Place of Inspiration

A HDR, creative camera technique.

W4W theme this month is Inspiration. For my own Inspiration post, I chose a peaceful place.

I hope you followed my series on Inspiration this past week and I hope I have inspired you a bit. These posts explored how and where I get my inspiration. Working in a field that requires one to be creative all the time sometimes requires a little motivation and that is not always so easy to come by.

Last Year on a cloudless day.

W4W is for you to explore. I chose to show a place, but easily could have went in any direction like I stated in the previous posts.

So here goes…

A walk through the woods can almost be a religious experience, like my comparison with the post, W4W Tracery in the Landscape. You can easily get a feeling of awe and inspiration surrounded by tall trees.

An architectural trick in design it to play up the journey. By doing that, the viewer experiences mystery and a wow factor from leaving one space and entering another of drastically different feel and light. Landscape designers use this trick as well.

A walk through the woods brings you to this destination. It is a play on the contradiction of dark into light, closed space into open, and good siting of the lake where the journey of mystery becomes revealed.

Morning sun in Spring gets through the dense forest, but here is captured at the right moment as it crests the trees. This is a natural garden at the lake, brimming with wildlife. It is a place to think and dream in all the natural beauty.  You can see above how only an hours difference can change the mood of the place. The little cabin is so picturesque atop the grassy berm. It is not turf grass, but natural grasses.

It is not always quiet though, with the honking chorus of the geese.

See the trees in the foreground? These are all Christmas trees that went unsold. Here they become a refuge for wildlife. Last summer, I photographed the male dragon flies that claimed them as their territory. Many are thrown in the lake for fish spawning protection. Many snapping turtles live in the pond and so do frogs. This gives the baby fish a safe place to grow and get larger.

The discarded, solitary Christmas tree inspires a short story. Can you spin a tale?

This is so sad to me that these Christmas trees went without a family at Christmas. Above, they line the banks of the lake, and will provide landing zones for the dragonflies.

The goose feather floats as the geese arrive to set up nests. Here is another story in the making. One of my favorite times of year is when the baby geese are hatched. I may be gone to NC when this occurs this year, so my tale may have to be written another year. The females are sitting on eggs now!

Unfortunately, this is a place for hunting geese, so you can imagine the story of the forlorn solitary male pining for his lady lost.

A pair arrives later in the day. Hopefully they live to produce young and the snapping turtles don’t eat the eggs or newly hatched goslings.

Really zoomed in and taking a break…

A ‘sea’ of water, after I scared off all the geese.

A ‘sea’ of green. The fields are ready for tilling. Fresh sweet corn anyone? Any images conjure up a story? Did any make you feel like you were there?

Join along if you feel inspired. Click the link and add your post.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

See a local cathedral next post. Spaces like this really inspire me.

This entry was posted in Farm Life, garden, Lake, Nature, Ponds, W4W, Water, Words for Wednesday and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to W4W A Place of Inspiration

1. helensadornmentsblog says:

I think I may have to borrow your creative technique of playing up the journey. I will have to think about how I can apply this to art glass. I am overjoyed that you love your necklace so. I love finding good homes for my pieces.:)

2. andrea says:

Temperate countries’ landscapes give a very different landscape than the tropics. Even the forests give a very serene protective enclosure beneath them. Here in ours, viewing the forests on top give a mysterious aura above which evoke deep thinking, inspiration to dig in and explore. In yours, i love to sit in that cabin near the water edge, just sit and think of the unknown and beyond!

3. Martha says:

lovely, gorgeous, wonderful

4. Well, it sure worked for me! That first shot of the reflection on the lake hooked me. And then I couldn’t stop the journey! My New Orleans trip was definitely inspirational. OK if I link that one in?

5. Indie says:

What a beautiful place. That is so interesting about the Christmas trees and how the discarded ones end up watching over baby fish and dragonflies. They get another story. Inspiration is truly all around – sometimes we just have to pay attention.

6. It all is so peaceful. .. just lovely.

7. Jeanette says:

Your photographs and incite only get better and better. Donna, the posting you shared with the topic, Tracery was probably the most intriguing and thought provoking article I have read. Thank you for giving so much.

8. Those thrown-away Christmas trees remind me of a short story by Hans Christian Andersen: http://hca.gilead.org.il/fir_tree.html
    (I don’t have the time to spin a tale myself, so I hope it’s all right that I recycle a story by our National poet.)

9. What a beautiful place! One could find much inspiration walking around the pond and through the woods. Your photos are an inspiration alone. Loved reading your series of posts on inspiration too. Donna, I am inspired every time I visit your blog. Are you attending the Garden Bloggers Fling in NC?

10. gauchoman2002 says:

Great photos as always. Even though it is a bit sad that the Chirstmas trees didn’t have a family, it’s such a positive thing that they’re serving as a wildlife habitat.

11. I often feel as if I am in a sacred place when I am in a forest or looking over a vast field. It is why I keep coming back, why I continue to try to create something similar in my own backyard. We throw our Christmas trees in the woods to offer shelter and perches for wildlife and birds. And yesterday, I got a glimpse of the new baby goslings at the lake…five of them…so adorable. You were lucky to get such a close shot of that beautiful nest of eggs. I have not found where the geese build their nests…as of yet. Beautiful photos…felt as if I were walking with you. Thanks for hosting!

12. Diane says:

I simply love visiting your blog Donna. Your photographs and essays are so lovely to view and inspirational. You live in a place surrounded by natural beauty which you capture beautifully. I love the photograph of the goose feather. Thank you for sharing.

13. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, Visual cues can inspire so many things. I really like that you point out that simple things one discovers by chance can form a jumping off point. Creativity can be as simple as that.
    P.S. I want to book a weekend in the cabin pictured in your post. It looks so peaceful and serene, even with the honking geese near by!

14. AngryRedhead says:

Yay for HDR! That’s another one on my photographic to-do list.

15. b-a-g says:

Thanks for sharing your tips on inspiration and this is a beautiful place. Often when people get stuck with blogging , they stop reading blogs too, which is probably a big mistake.

16. HolleyGarden says:

I find that just being outside helps me to become inspired. And this is a beautiful place, peaceful and safe, just right for letting your mind go free! Thanks for hosting!

17. Your photos are inspirational—all of them—but the first one is magnificent.

18. andrea says:

Hi again Donna, i’ve entered a new link. Thank you so much for alerting me! Just please remove the first one. thanks.

19. cathywieder says:

i grew up in an area with woods, lots and lots of woods, and I loved it. This has brought back so many wonderful memories! I miss the woods so much, Steve and I planted a tree grove in our yard LOL. My favorite thing to do is bring a book into the tree grove and curl up in a chair there and just listen to the birds and read. Thanks for reawakening the memories!

20. Your thoughts are so true, a walk through the same place and a different time can take you on a whole new journey!

21. Even though the Christmas trees went without a home during the holidays, at least they found a home as much needed habitat on the lake shore. The feather lined is beautiful. I always enjoy finding nests, as they are such symbols hope, and renewal, each spring.

22. trailblazer1 says:

Woods, water and a cabin. What a perfect place to let the world stop spinning while you capture the glories around you. Where is Lake Erway?

23. Marie says:

What a lovely spot. I’m always drawn to water and this looks like a great spot to sit and let the wind clear your head. I love the pile of Christmas trees. Looks like my back corner. lol But it’s all the feathers around the eggs that takes my breath away.

24. Colline says:

Beautiful shots!

25. Rosie Gan says:

Wow, Donna! Some of your photos evoke such emotions in me. There’s splendour, familiar sights that make me sigh…and above all…yes they inspire me!
    Rosie Gan