GBBD, the Backside

And now… the Backside

Happy Returns in the back gardens. Hope you saw the post on the front yard, GBBD in Niagara Falls.

Krinkled White, Peony on the East of the rear yard.

Supertunias, Royal Velvet and White on the East of the Rear Yard.

Superbena, Large Lilac Blue – You guessed it, a vigorous growing Verbena.

A view to the Southwest

Due North

Your tip of the day..

This image is what you would see looking out the dining room back door, through the screen. I intentionally left the screen visible to show you the actual view. Designing a garden space has as much to do with the inside as the outside. The goal is to achieve views that are pleasing to the eye.  I framed the image to the left side of the door, but the path and focal point, raised bed, is on axis with the door, an intentional design decision. It works both inside and out. The door was not original to the home and was added when I did the kitchen/dining room renovation. It allowed easy entertaining options to the home. You can always create a view if there is not one to start.  See how the view kinda looks like a magazine image (sans the screen of course)?

Now for the Sides…

Are We Yelling for Yellow?

Sun Drops

Coronation Gold Yarrow

The sea of yellow on the West Side of the house and property.

Siberian Iris with yellow throat.

Sedum, Goldmoss, right out the Kitchen back door in a tiny scree bed.

Zegreb Coreopsis on the East

We got Yellow inside too! This is an East view too.

And not all is yellow…

Bell Flower on the East Side fence line.

Carnation on the West Side

Up next… The Niagara River native flowers. These flowers and view are at the end of my street, right across the Parkway. Then…next on GWGT… the Scott Arboretum at Swarthmore College. This is a beautiful set of gardens. We come back to 664 again for a peek inside. After…. a trip to Hawk Mountain and a few other images from Pennsylvania. Lots in store.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Gardening, GBBD, My Garden, Nature and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to GBBD, the Backside

1. Donna I loved the views alla round the house…lovely colors and blooms…the yellow with the purple iris is wonderful…and I really loved the view outside from inside…I also designed my gardens so they could be viewed from inside especially in the back of the house…looking forward to the natives at the Falls.

• I like that iris too. I started with one that my neighbor gave me, and they are multiplying. Amazing too, since this spot is never watered, has heavy clay soil and gets little, but scorching sun. They like more moist conditions, yet they live.

2. Cydney says:

That was a great tour, really enjoyed it and your Tip of the Day….

3. Jennifer says:

Hi Donna, Your garden is looking great both front and back. The Siberian Iris in this post particularly caught my eye. This is a particularly nice variety. The hanging baskets throughout the garden are a nice touch. When you have a smaller garden, it is smart to go vertical with colorful annuals.

• The iris pops because of the yellow around it. Mostly being so dark purple and short, it blends into its normal plantings by a pond or stream. This is not a great location for it, but I have been a little negligent on moving it. I am lucky it seems to not mind the spot as much as the books would say it should.

4. Your garden is so beautiful. The color combinations with the yellow, violet, and blue are lovely. Your view does look like a magazine shot. I especially like how you have planned and designed your garden with the addition of annuals and personal touches. These make it so welcoming.

• Shirley, my garden changes color combos through the seasons, even to the pink colors. We are coming into the red phase and the yellows will be less soon. If you saw a previous post, my garden is heavy in reds and yellows, courtesy of tossed McDonald’s landscape plants.

5. Gorgeous is all I can say!

Did you by chance see the walk last night?

• Thanks Tina. I did see the walk on TV at my husbands insistence. My husband wanted to walk down and was mad I did not want to take photos. I told him, sure we can find a good view, but to remember the mist will block more than half the walk. The view on TV was spectacular. Even though I had no interest initially, I did like seeing it. Still, I would not have wanted to be there.

6. The view out of your patio screened door is beautiful and I like the sunflowers on the table.

7. So many colorful blooms. I love the petuna combo and those sunflowers! I’ve never thought about growing carnations but those are adorable.

8. gauchoman2002 says:

Love all the yellow. You’ve packed a lot of great plants and flowers into a pretty compact space, very well done. All of that golden yarrow must attract some beneficial bugs and a whole butterflies, yes?

• When I was a kid, I liked yellow a lot. Now, I like what it does in gardens. Funny, but I never see the yarrow unless I go take a photo. This bed is beside my neighbor’s driveway, and they park cars right next to it. I rarely have room to get by.

9. Sandra Jonas says:

What a delightful living space, just beautiful!!
    I forgot about all the delightful plants I used to have when I lived in the north…. miss the peonies that never seem to do anything here unless we have a harsh winter.

• Thanks, Sandra. The peonies were very brief this year because the weather got so warm so fast. I love peonies very much and they just have too short a bloom time, but the foliage makes for a good backdrop all year, like you probably know in your own designs.

10. Donna, your blooms are gorgeous and the photos –superb! Love the view out your back door, the sitting area is very inviting. I am a big fan of purples and whites together…and purples and yellows….well, ok, purple and anything. 🙂

11. I keep forgetting to check the follow up comments block.

• If you check that box, WP sends every comment by everyone to the post. I wish they did not include this feature. I always forget to uncheck it and get spammed by so many email alerts.

• Yes, but given some of the great conversations on this blog, it has been nice to see what others have said. That and I like to see your response (as you are one who does respond to comments) to what I wrote.

• Thank you. I am glad you like to follow the comments. I did not have any of the features approved on WP for the longest time. They are always coming up with new features, but not all of them do I like. The new Topics still has me miffed.

12. b-a-g says:

Your garden looks alive and kicking.
    I’ll wont think of petunias as boring again …

• I actually had to water the garden this morning. We have had little rain, yet so many days it looks like it will down pour, wind and all. Then nothing. So many plants got cut back today because of so much browning. All the roses browned, so they got chopped, and my poor foxgloves, but you should see all the babies they made. I am happy about that if I can keep them alive during this dry spell.

13. Dee says:

Absolutely gorgeous all of it. Happy Bloom Day!

14. GirlSprout says:

I like the view looking outside into your garden. Your patio looks like a nice place to have a meal or enjoy a morning cup of coffee. The effect of the mass plantings is spectacular, especially seeing all of the yellow.

15. I like the idea of all the yellow. Finally this year my oenethera is blooming with no deer to eat all th flowers—I love it. I can’t grow yarrow to save my life though. I have tried it in all my sunniest most well-drained spots. I’ve given up.

• Oh, do I have yellow! Some was left over from a previous garden I had of yellow, blue and white, but I acquired so much more with all the plants I get from tear outs. I am going to have to start sending some elsewhere I think.

16. Beautiful garden “rooms”! The purple and yellow are great complimentary colors. And your designs are fantastic! The view onto the back patio is especially inviting.

17. Helen says:

Your garden is so vibrant and fresh – thanks for the tour. I do like your superbum verbena

• The Superbena has hit a speed bump. Oddly, one plant per container, it was going gang buster, now, it seems like it is resting. I was expecting growth like the petunias, they are almost touching the ground right now.

18. All of those views are spectacular! I am more than a little jealous.

19. Cat says:

Your garden is looking simply stunning. I love the second shot. Beautiful.

20. Cat says:

Yay!! Finally remembered my wp password!

21. Marguerite says:

Love the sign welcoming everyone to your garden. It’s very cheerful. Glad you explained the screen door, thought my eyes were going there for a second. I remember reading about views from the house at one point and it stuck with me. We spend so much time creating our gardens, we should be able to appreciate them as much as possible, even from a window.

22. jakesprinter says:

Beautiful post you have here my friend 🙂

23. Andrea says:

Hi Donna, everything is lush front and back. But i love most the dark violet and white petunia as well as the white carnation. If i have time and if i am in your temperate zone, i will try all whites! I wonder if it will look like enchanted kingdom!

24. cathywieder says:

Entirely gorgeous – love the shot through the screen door! I can’t let my husband see all of that yellow… his favorite flower color LOL. He’d want to do that here! Gosh, everything is so gorgeous. I think my favorite is the photo of the white carnations against coppery-burgundy foliage.

• I am not a huge fan of yellow, but so many the plants were free. I cannot pass up free, but it is more that I feel back for the homeless plants. Yellow plants, or ones with a bit of yellow always seem to be the ones more garden aggressive too.

25. stone says:

Y’all have such great gardening weather and wonderful soil… Reading about yall’s drought (in comments), had me checking the drought monitor.
    You wouldn’t believe it, but we’d consider yall’s current drought a respite from our usual weather…

• It is really funny, but at the farm, there has been decent, not great, rainfall. In the city we keep missing the rain everywhere around us is getting. Last night it rained and today the ground is dry and cracked. I know it is much worse in many places, but we don’t get in the nineties very often and today will be 90° and tomorrow 92°. I guess saying we are in the nineties is commonplace for you guys.

26. Beautiful!! I love how cheerful your garden is. I don’t ever get tired of yellow flowers. Bravo! Take a bow for a job very well done! 🙂

27. HolleyGarden says:

I love those blue and white petunias together. And yes, your view out the screen door does look like it belongs in a magazine. Great tip! Loved the inside view, too. Very crisp.

28. wifemothergardener says:

I love that white carnation in front of the barberry… and your white peony in the midst of the already blooming pink/purple dahilas. What type of purple bell flower is that? I just saw it around town and was wondering about that one.
    Great combinations! You have done a wonderful job planning for your views also, of course. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden! ~Julie

29. Masha says:

Lovely! I like the cool colors of your back garden, and the peony is just spectacular. I don’t grow Supertunias, but I do have lots of Superbells (supposedly they handle the heat better), and they are such rewarding plants.

30. Nadezda says:

Hi! I’m Nadezda. I love your blog specially photos of Niagara! Great! Bell flowers are very nice too.
    Saint Petersburg