The Niagara River Native Plants

This view is across the Parkway at the end of my street, looking toward the Rainbow Bridge to Canada. I was in awe of the big sky, so you see only a bit of Niagara Falls, USA and Canada.

Big blue skies that go on and up forever are rare here so every one is special. I know you westerners are laughing right now since they are old hat to you, but this view of the river is not seen everyday like this.

This is also a view looking Northwest into Canada, across the Niagara River. Here I thought the water was a pretty scene, but seriously, it was hard to point the camera down and not up today.

So let’s keep walking. This is how I walk to the Falls, past all the native blooming plants. It is hard not to think they are more than just weeds.  Pollinators come in all types and sizes and make every weed a wildflower.

The insect above might be a Green Metallic Bee, Agapostemon sp., rather than a fly. I believe because the antennae are longer than would be found in a fly. This is not a good photo, because it does not show a profile view which would help in identification.

Yarrow Achillea millefolium

Walking along the gorge towards Niagara Falls, yields many lovely wildflowers, but by the time I return with photos, I often don’t have enough info in them to properly identify the plant. Like above, I did not take the photo including the leaves, which are mandatory in proper plant ID. Yarrow leaves are pretty distinctive.

Yarrow tidbit. Did you know the entire yarrow plant, excepting the roots, can be used medicinally. I learned this from a seminar last year on native plants given by a Native American woman, knowledgeable in herbs and native plants. She said the plant, fresh or dried can be taken internally or applied externally, depending on the ailment.

Here are some of the ailments it is purported to benefit. It reduces fever, and helps relieve flu and colds.  Its bitter tonic properties relieve stomach-ache, diarrhea, cramping, as well as sore throats and gum irritation. It supposedly relieves menstrual pain.

Externally, it stops bleeding, and helps to prevent infection of topical cuts. Also it is used as a hemorrhoids treatment.  This information has been passed down though generations of Native American healers. You have to wonder if they really work. I will write more on this later, or if you have that burning desire to know how it is concocted, I may give you the lowdown in the comments. Just ask. It really is interesting.

Oxeye Daisy Leucanthemum vulgare

Here’s a tidbit on the Oxeye Daisy. Daisies have been reported to be INVASIVE in seven national parks, including the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. How you ask? They spread by underground roots and by over active seed production. The seeds float and find their way to river banks. They form dense colonies to replace up to half the grasses in pastures, additionally, they have been found to host several viral diseases affecting crops.

Tidbit on the Pollinator

It is Eristalis tenax, a Syrphid Fly  – Common name,  Drone Fly
Some hoverflies’ larvae are important predators of soft-bodied prey like aphids and thrips, much to rose growers delight. Many Syrphids, like the Drone Fly above,  are important pollinators, and are considered beneficial insects. Gardeners can plant flowers that attract them like; Alyssum, Iberis umbellata, statice, chamomile, parsley, and yarrow. The list is actually longer, since this Flower Fly gets its generalized common name because it likes just about any flower, native or not.

The poor but popular daisy is now being maligned and put on the noxious weed list in many states and Canadian provinces. Want to know which states? Ask in the comments and I will list them.

Bunny by the native garden at the Falls. Looks like he is headed for the Coneflower and ready to muscle out the groundhog for a tasty meal. Groundhogs like this plant. I always have the wrong lens on when I see bunnies, I had to enlarge him.

Many grow the daisy, me included, but a better native replacement is Purple Coneflower, Black-Eyed Susan, or Blanket Flower, Gaillardia araistata.

Gaillardia, Blanketflower

I am not very adept at naming the wildflowers, and should get a handbook to carry along, but some I do know pretty well. I really like the wildflowers, but not all wildflowers are natives. Just like not all wildflowers are weeds either. So many have similar form and make identification difficult, except to those that really are into indigenous native plants.

Any of you that are knowledgeable on native plants, please leave the names of the plants I am not sure of, it will be most appreciated, like Patty at Gardening Pomona, who is very knowledgeable and was quite helpful.

Thistle

The main reason for liking native plants for me has to do with the pollinators. The flowers themselves are usually quite small in comparison to the hybrids that originated from them. Often, because of selective breeding, the use to pollinators has been compromised.

The little fly above is another bee and wasp imitator from the family Syrphidae. It is a Hoverfly, Syrphus forvus, that looks like a wasp but it is not dangerous. It only scares the birds, even as tiny as it is. I actually have some good photos of this insect that you will see in a later post where I was actually focusing on the tiny fly, not the flower in those images.

I find so many more and varied insects when in the fields and pastures. My yard gets a variety of insects, and does have what many consider native plants, but it is still nowhere the quantity and variety of a trip to the field or farm. To see my opinion on native plants and home gardens, see the post The Native Melting Pot of Plants, What Goes?. It is a very long, researched post with many supporting links that is much more than a personal opinion post.

Carpenter Bee

Pincushion Flower

Salvia x sylvestris ‘Snow Hill’, Meadow Sage

The above three images are from my garden. I see bees like these in the fields far more often.

Red Clover Trifolium pratense

This field above was filled with clover. And, teeming with bees. I was not here to photograph the insects, but get clean shots of the small blooms.

I do not know what this one will be when it blooms, but the form was interesting. It looks like the bud captured another plant’s airborne seed.

Hairy Beardtongue Penstemon hirsutus

Any of these smaller images get larger with a click if you need to see them for identification purpose. Any that I am not sure of and you are, please let me know in the comments.

Agrimony, I believe

Wild Rosa blanda

Bird’s Foot Trefoil

Bird’s Nest Trefoil

Bird’s-foot trefoil a creeping invasive I believe. A pretty little flower. Tidbit: It is a non-bloating legume that contains a condensed tannin, an anti-bloating control. So it is good for cattle to eat.

Common Cinquefoil Potentilla simplex

Cute little plant, but I am not sure what it is. Maybe Hawksbeard (Asteracea), like My Green Patch identified. I did look up Hawksbeard, but I could not find them grouped like this on the end of the stem, so I was unsure. The plant is maybe a foot tall.

Daisy Bellis perennis

As identified correctly by Island Threads.

Black Medic

Orange Skipper

Pilosella aurantiaca

As identified correctly by Island Threads.

A wild rose because of the leaves, or Hackberry because of the flowers? See, I need a guide book. This is a small tree or large shrub. It is difficult to tell what form it will become. The leaves are not typical of Hackberry and the cluster is not typical of wild roses. Philadephus is out too. Hum.

This Spiraea was in the bed of native plants at the Discovery Center. The building and grounds are getting renovated. I do believe they are keeping the native gardens with all the new construction.

Geranium maculatum

These geraniums were also in the native bed, but plenty was seen along the trails.

I had no idea what this flower is called, but the Queen of Seaford identified it as Erysimum, Wallflower.

The privet was growing wild along the Niagara trail. Even when I try to avoid the insects, one slips in on the shot. See the little critter?

Not sure of above either, but it looked like a type of Geum.

Field Bindweed, Convolvulus

Bindweed is not a plant most want in a garden, native or otherwise.

Colt’s Foot

Colt’s Foot, I think. A tiny dandelion look-a-like. Cute little bug too. Check out the comment below by Wild Cookery. The author says this is not Colt’s Foot.

The pink grasses are quite pretty.

Dandelion

Buttercup Ranunculus spp.

Buttercup tidbit. Buttercups generally inhabit moist areas and can be poisonous to animals. All animals are susceptible to buttercup poisoning, generally and most often by the tall buttercup (Ranunculus acris L.), but cows are most often poisoned. Dried buttercups, however, are not poisonous, so buttercup laden hay can be fed without fear of poisoning the farm critters.

I find this interesting because buttercups are a flower kid’s love to pick.

This is the typical tourist view of both set of Falls. The Horseshoe Falls is in the far distance. The gorge side walls in the distance were where Nik Wallenda made his historic walk over the Horseshoe Falls on Friday, June, 15th., from the US to Canada. I saw it televised and did not walk down to the Falls to see it live, although my husband insisted I go and take photos. I was glad to have seen it on TV, a much better view than being there.

Next on GWGT… lots of images and design ideas at the Scott Arboretum at Swarthmore College. This is a beautiful set of gardens. Chanticleer??? I think there was a request. This will be a few posts since the place is so big and amazing. Followed up by a peek inside my abode and what’s cooking? Seems anticlimactic, huh?

This entry was posted in environment, Falls, garden, Native plants, Nature, Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls State Parks, Parks, photos, State Parks, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

163 Responses to The Niagara River Native Plants

1. I can’t believe how close you live to the falls. I enjoyed all the photos of the wildflowers and the pollinators. I’ll have to pay more attention to both on my nature walks now!

• I bet you can come up with some really funny captions to images if you do a nature walk. I can walk to the actual Falls in ten minutes, probably faster without my camera. The trail is at the base of my street, across the Parkway. I walk past the Discovery Center native gardens on my way to the Falls. The Discovery Center has all the geological information on the birth of the Falls and rock wall formation and makeup. I hope they remodel the building too, it needs an update.

2. helensadornmentsblog says:

Those pictures of the carpenter bees were amazing. I love how you caught them in mid-flight. Even your photo of the Dandelion was beautiful, I usually think of them as a weed, but your photo made it look more like a flower.

• I agree. It’s the first time I ever thought a Dandelion bloom was “beautiful.”

• It is amazing what you can do with photos of a subject when it is taken out of context or zoomed in really close. Things never get looked at the same way. I like bees and wish they were easier to photograph. I do have many images of them in flight, many better than the one today.

3. Graziella says:

Hi there, great tour! The yellow ‘cute little plant, but I don’t know what it is’ is probably a Hawksbeard (Asteracea). We have it as a wild flower here in Malta too as well as the Convonvulus and the Colt’s Foot. It looks like a lovely walk with a majestic finish of the falls.

• You maybe right on the Hawkbeard. I thought that too, but did not see any images with it clustered at the top of the stem like the photo. There were many plants of this type all over growing exactly the same way. It is funny you would have the same ‘weeds’ as us here with you living in the Mediterranean climate. It really shows the diversity of environment that plants can survive.

4. an interesting post Donna, the orange flower (pretty small flower head) looks like Pilosella aurantiaca common name here is Fox and cubs, the leaves are small at the bottom, I think the daisy you call feverfew is the common Daisy Bellis perennis the leaves look more like Bellis perennis leaves but I can’t see the real plant as you did, the yellow dandelion like flowers are common to a lot of wild flowers and I would need to see the leaves to identifie, it can be difficult but interesting,
    I found it interesting that some flies look like wasps and bees I didn’t know that before, Frances

• Thanks for the correct identifications, Frances. I added your link in the post. We have many flies that pose as bees here. I was surprised at all the different ones that there are listed, especially hoverflies. So many look identical too.

• thank you for the acknowledgement Donna, if you are interested you can click on wildfower slope in my themed threads list and you will see a photo of Pilosella aurantiaca also known as orange hawkweed in my garden, Frances

• Thanks, Frances, I will check it out. I am trying to learn more of the wildflowers, not necessarily those that are hybridized, since they are the ones I am more familiar. The weeds are what I should know better as a Master Gardener, but as a designer, they are rarely a needed type of plant to know well.

5. You inspired my to take a walk in my local park and see what is happening there (once it gets below 90 degrees). Boy is it hot outside.

6. What a lovely area you live in !

7. Victor Ho says:

I’m in a desert environment now. It’s nice to see greenery. No waterfall. I just seem to keep getting farther from Niagara Falls with each move. Good shots.

8. Denise says:

I almost missed that little critter on the privet. Wonderful weeds and wildflowers and busy bees.

9. Great photos of the pollinators and the wild blooms. I think the flower you asked if it was Toadflax is Wallflower, Erysimum. Love the picture of the dandelion.

• You must be right, but doing a search gives me a different and similar wallflower also, Cheiranthus. But this plant grows in zone 8 to 10 natively in the US. The stigma looks a little different on most varieties, but Erysimum ‘Constant Cheer’ is really close in appearance. I saw plant packs for sale with blooms of purple, yellow, pink and copper tones, all the colors in this plant. I wonder if they self-seed because this was away from the native beds. Thanks, I will name the plant Erysimum and link to your blog as identifying it. Thank you, Janet.

10. newvoice says:

Oh, I love your photos – they are so eye catching. The pink grasses are my favourite and the geraniums are quite impressive – even though they are not on my list of flowers. The yarrow I have just acquired, so this is interesting information. I use it in green manure mix.

• Thank you. I have my more ‘photogenic’ weed images yet to post, but they did not do as well for ID purposes. I have yarrow in my garden, but it is a well behaved hybrid. Still considered a native by most standards, although really it is far removed from the actual native variety growing in our fields. It does not resemble the weed at all.

11. Patty says:

Sorry to be a party-pooper here but I a bit confused. Is the garden you were walking through actually named the native wildflower garden? If so I must let you know that the majority of the photos you took believing are native wildflowers are actually not native to your area. Naturalized yes, and that can sometimes make people think they are native because they see them around all the time.

• I know Patty, but this is the ‘native garden’ as per the advertised design of these garden beds. The whole area is under construction and I have no idea if these beds will be redone. There is lavender in them too. The spiraea and wallflower are not natives, what else? Some are the hybrids versions that everyone says are native, like the blanketflower. The Oxeye is ‘invasive’, and the Scabiosa and Sage are from my garden. Geranium is everywhere along the trail. Bindweed is an import from Europe, I know, but it has been here a very long time, so what is considered native, like in my post that I linked? I have no clue, and it seems many more knowledgeable than me don’t either. Can you list the plants in question if I missed any? Check out the USDA list for NY. Privet is listed and that is a native to Europe too, right? http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US36&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=68&imageField.y=8

• Patty says:

Hi Donna, the only flowers (as far as I can tell) that are native are achillea millefolium (a complete surprise to me but it is native according to the USDA database), coneflower, gaillardia is native to the US but maybe not where you live, penstemon hisutus, agrimony, rosa blanda, cinquefoil potentila, hawksbeard is found throughout the northern hemisphere, and the geranium maculatum,.
        I have been a native plant enthusiast for over ten years now, though with experience have left behind the ideas of being a ‘purist’. I believe it is worthwhile to plant natives to feed and shelter the wildlife. I don’t want to see the continued loss of native plants due to imports and the damage they can do if left unchecked in the wild. I am happy to plant imports in my garden but I do encourage people to keep them away from waterways, fields, and woodlands if they border them.
        P.S. No need to post this reply. It was only to answer your question. – Patty

• Thank you for responding. As I mentioned, I want to get more familiar with native plants in my area. I am hoping to join Wild Ones Niagara if I can find the time. If you read my post The Native Melting Pot of Plants, What Goes?, you can see I very much question what is considered native and what determines the current designation. Like the privet on the USDA for NYS list.

I like your views and direction because I too want spaces for wildlife and natural habitat. Thanks for clarifying. I tried to find out what they actually call these gardens in their printed material but only could find this description below of the entire place. You can see how it expresses the natural environment around this area. This excerpt also explains the route I take to get to the Falls and all that I pass. I am still looking for how they describe their gardens. Each garden is made from particular gorge rock that made up the huge gorge, and It is my understanding, many of the plants are what grow in these locales, with obvious exception. Most of the ‘weeds’ are photographed along the trail that they mention.

” The Niagara Gorge Discovery Center showcases the natural and local history of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Gorge. You can learn about the ancient rock layers, local minerals and fossils, the history of the Great Gorge Route trolley line, and much more!
          Hike, walk, run or bike along the Robert Moses Parkway Trail, a multi-use trail that follows the Niagara Gorge past Whirlpool State Park and Devil’s Hole State Park to the Robert Moses Power Plant and the New York Power Authority Visitor Center. Hikers can access the Gorge Rim Trail, the Scenic Overlook Trail and the Great Gorge Railway Trail from the Trailhead Building.”

• Patty says:

Donna I read the post on meadows and the question regarding the status of a native plants. It is a very impressive post and quite in depth. I have to agree that the line between native and non native is blurring; even a cross between two species but done with plants that are no longer of their native provenance are no longer considered native by some. Are we trying to hold on to native habits, lets say in New York State, that may never have grown here 1000 years ago because we were in an ice age at the time (I may not have the timing down right). I go back and forth all the time on this question because I can see that the native status is not static, it evolves with the passage of time and the movement of seed by air, water and animals. We are trying to protect what we have now, and that is not a bad thing, but the reality is what we have now and will have in the future are most likely not going to be the same.
            So for now I protect what I can, grow the natives to please me, knowing I am feeding and sheltering the wildlife around me and trying to maintain a natural as possible state in my garden. As for your meadow, like my native woodland garden, it is not real it is a facsimile as you say, all gardens are an attempt to recreate what was.

• Thanks for reading the post, Patty. There is so much out there on this subject. I was floored reading about the DOT saving the seed from Echinacea laevigata to plant roadside, then getting flack for doing it. I believe it was North Carolina, but it could have been South Carolina, so I did not list who it was. Native planting is a hotbed topic because so many agencies ‘think’ they have the answers. You are right to protect your area. If more people thought that way, the world would be a far better place.

12. Marguerite says:

I loved that photo of the blue green water at the beginning but I know what you mean about big skies. There’s a different sort of expanse when you go west. Thanks for pointing out the Melting pot of natives post. I hadn’t read that one, much to think about there.

• I wrote that post because there is so much contradiction in using native plants. What they are, how long the need to grow in a locale, where they go, and even if the genetically exact same plant can be placed in a locale of the original. I wanted to point out how many of us gardeners think they are planting a native plant and are not. Like my Carex and Monarda. Yes, they are natives, but not these varieties

13. HolleyGarden says:

I love oxeye daisies, and am sorry to know that they are spreading viral diseases. Until I read that, I thought “who cares if they’re invasive? So pretty!”. Just goes to show you, anything in excess is not good, I guess. I also found the information on the buttercups very interesting, and something I did not know.

• My garden has lots of Ox Eye daisy, and another seminar I attended had this handout stating that they are invasive. It was a surprise to me also. I knew they are aggressive, but did not know they can transmit disease. Things you learn. I recently heard a farmer talking negatively about the buttercup on a neighboring farm and learned that tidbit. I looked it up when I got home. I like cows a lot and did not know they get sick from eating buttercups.

14. What a super post, I learned so much!

15. Skeeter says:

Okay, your photos of dandelion make it seem like such a beautiful little flower rather then a weed! I know just like the saying “one mans trash is another mans treasure”… One mans Weed is another mans Flower! An Ah Ha moment…. I miss the clover as we do not have any in my lawn. I remember plucking the white fluff balls and making necklaces with them as a child. I would like to share that experience with the neighborhood children. Again, some would like to rid their lawns of Clover and I would like to have some…. We watched the walk over the falls. I wondered if you were going to see them in person….

• Hi Skeeter. I think Dandelion is a pretty flower and when I see fields of them at the farm I am beside myself. But, when they seed, not so much. They are native to Eurasia I believe but have found their way to almost all continents. The leaves are tasty in salads and dressings too. I think the main problem with them in lawns is the big rosette of foliage that they make, as it ruins the green carpet look of lawns. Plenty live in my lawn because I had a neighbor that cultivated them to eat, so our neighborhood has quite a few dandelion.

I too like lawn clover, but only have the little white variety. You should post how to make a necklace with them sometime. I never saw that.

I told my husband that due to the mist, viewing would be limited. My neighbor went and said all the mist was blowing over to Canada. The poor Canadians must have had a shortened view. They started cheering when he appeared, and that was way beyond halfway.

16. b-a-g says:

I used to think that buttercups were delicate little flowers, like you mention we used to pick them when we were little. When I saw the leaves in my garden this spring, I thought I’d leave weeding till after the buttercups flowers. Little did I know they would turn into knee-high monsters which are impossible to pull out. At least the flowers still look pretty.

• I like the buttercups and they bring back all kinds of childhood memories. I remember picking them to feed to my horse too. No one ever told me then that this was a bad idea. My horse would eat anything, even bananas and I know know that was a bad idea too.

17. Donna I love that second shot of the NW view of the river…I love the Niagara River. The wildflowers are lovely and I am so glad you said how wildflowers can be weeds or not and not all wildflowers we see are natives. I am still learning and have several books that help. Usually the pink grass is muhly grass. I grow the natives for the critters especially the insects. Another great in depth post Donna with gorgeous photos.

• Donna, I was assuming it was Muhly grass but it does not make that airy plume, and I don’t think it was intentionally planted. There are 18 to 20 listed by the USDA for NYS but I have to take a closer photo to identify it properly. I would love to have the Muhly grass that makes the airy plumes. I think that is a stunning variety.

18. Malinda says:

Hi Donna
    Gorgeous pictures! I love to see the fall vicariously through you – maybe someday we’ll get there in person. We have tons of buttercups too. In fact, I need to pull them out of our goat pen. They seem to avoid the plants – but you can’t be too careful!

19. yumodi says:

Your pictures are so beautiful. I wish I could go to Niagara Falls now!

20. james1231 says:

Your pictures are beautiful!

21. The Cardianl below is sweet. All of your photos are great. Thanks for sharing. Connie

22. makais says:

Reblogged this on Makais Blog and commented:
    lovely photos

23. beautywhizz says:

Great photos. Thank you for all the names of flowers and plants. I know most of them by their look so now finally know their names too. I heard that buttercup can be dangerous to your eyes if you touch them after picking those flowers and not washing hands before. And true about yarrow, I know it is as a “bleeding” plant.

24. Great photos, and congrats on being freshly pressed.

25. Kevin says:

Hi Donna! I am thrilled that you are Freshly Pressed and that more of the world can see the wonders of your blog. You know that I’m a huge fan of your work — and I am still amazed and impressed, especially by your photos of bees caught in flight as they descend to do their work. Thanks for reminding us of the beauty of the native species! Best always, Kevin.

26. Pingback: Wild Weed Walks « The Body Detective

27. Reblogged this on The Body Detective and commented:
    A great weed walk around the Niagara River on the border of America and Canada. You may recognise some of the plants photographed by Donna who lives minutes from Niagara Falls.

If you are inspired, join Helen Elscot from Herbal Health Waiheke on the Waiheke Walking Festival for her “Medicinal Plants in the Wild” Walk. http://www.waihekewalkingfestival.org/medicinal-plants-in-the-wild/

28. Nice job! I used to be a Naturalist in the Niagara Parks. Enjoyed your down-to-earth walk-about in this area… Great job with the local flora! I now live in the Southwest, and we do have more sunshine there, but the Niagara sun does shine… and the summer twilights are worth a few Buffalo winters! Nice little taste of home you brought me! – Thanks, Renee

• Thank you for popping in to GWGT. I have so many images of the area, natural and designed. You were a Naturalist here, that is really interesting. I am just really starting to learn more. Being a Master Gardener, it is something we are supposed to know, and I find there is so much more to learn everyday. I have seen insects new to our area, and when I find one I do not know, I send them off to the entomologists at Cornell. They are a wonderful resource. Or like today, I ask my readers.

• So cool! So you are from the WNY area? I’ll be back this summer from the SW US. My Family Orchard piece contains a bit of research by a Cornell Ag prof! Best, Renee

29. Lovely photos, I miss my weekly hikes in the Niagara area. Thanks for the memories.

30. Beautiful Photos – thanks for sharing! Congrats on being FP!

31. romronda says:

Wow! The pictures are amazing.

32. The Harebeat says:

How interesting and surprising! Most of these plants can be easily found all around Armenia!

33. so beautiful! congratulations! i apreciate you for what you. Wonderful! thanks for pictures. My eyes were amazed!

34. THANK YOU EVERYONE. I am away working at the Lewiston GardenFest, http://www.lewistongardenfest.com/, this weekend and am surprised with all the new readers. I so appreciated you stopping by GWGT and hope to see you again. I always try to read the blogs that stop in and leave comments, and will do my best to get to these sites when I am through with the Lewiston Gardenfest on Monday. This is our big event of the year, and to my surprise, getting Freshly Pressed, came at my busiest time of the year. See you all soon, I hope.

35. andy says:

Thank you for sharing ,i like nice post

36. What a joy to visit your blog, to see all these great photographs and to read more about the wildflowes and pollinators. A lot of them seem to grow worldwide now but I tremendously enjoyed finding them amidst such impressive scenery! The photos you’ve taken at the Niagara Falls are quite impressive, too.
    Wishing you a good and successful time at Lewiston Gardenfest and I’m looking forward to coming back to your blog:

Kind regards from Hamburg, Germany
    Michèle

37. Oh it looks just like meadows at home (I’m from Poland)! Thanks so much for sharing, it’s a beautiful post!

38. JL says:

You have some really great, crisp photos of the bees! (And the cute pudgy little cardinal down at the bottom underneath the comment box!) What kind of camera/lens do you use?

39. what great shots! never knew weeds and wild plants could look so good! youre a true artist! reminds me of my time in ontarion…used to visit the falls quite regularly!

40. followechoes says:

Such great photos.

41. Joe Labriola says:

Sick pics!

42. The first bee is definitely Agapostemon, probably a male A. sericeus. And the carpenter bee is a male Xylocopa virginica.
    Your friendly neighborhood entomologist

43. These pics bring back memories of the farm I grew up on in Ohio. Fields full of dandelions and buttercups! and thistles galore!!

44. gardenerat60 says:

This is heavenly. the photographs are so good and explain a lot. A pretty place to live, ( cold ?), and those who do are lucky indeed. Sharing life with nature on a daily basis!

Thanks for this wonderful blog, and thanks to wordpress I found it!

• Thank you for checking out my blog. WP does have some great features, and I have been recently mentioning how I do not like how they changed Topics and wish they would return to the previous way. I used to find many new blogs with topics and the scrolling method is not my favorite. It is cold most years, but early 2012 was a fluke. Temps up to the eighties in March.

• gardenerat60 says:

Welcome here Garden walk! I am glad you took time to write.
        Once again, loved your blog..!

• gardenerat60 says:

I was also impressed by the mention about the seminar by the Native Indian, who explained about plants and their medicinal values.
        Coming from India, that sounded so comfortable, since, we do use lots of herbs and plants for various ailments. ( all called grandma’s cures). Many of the older generation follow Ayurveda medicines which are based on plants and trees.
        I also felt good that people are taking note of native wisdom handed over generations, by practice.

45. forageporage says:

Great post! KUDOS on being freshly pressed. If you would like to know more about the plants you have here, please, come on over! Many are edible and/or medicinal, and harvest-able, right now!

46. Anarya Andir says:

Congrats on being Freshly Pressed! Love the photos!

47. silvachiqa says:

I love the are you photographed the pics are beautiful. I went to school upstate New York, and visited other campuses in the area. I have to Niagara Falls and Toronto and Montreal several times, so I feel like I have enjoyed some of the nature in your backyard. I am a fairly new blogger, and I do not have the expertise to get my blogs read, so congratulations for getting Freshly Pressed. Any tips for a newbie?

48. J M Naszady says:

I enjoyed your photos! I am a westerner who never takes our big skies for granted…I feel very fortunate to have such a great view. My husband, a New Yorker, and I traveled by car from left to right across the country four years ago, and I very much enjoyed our stop at Niagara Falls.

49. larryzb says:

Thanks much for posting these truly amazing and beautiful photos. I have got to get my wife to see them.

50. daffodillia says:

We think of Niagara Falls as a magnificent, large scale sight but this distracts from the detail of the natural surroundings. Thankyou for posting this detail, very educational and certainly more likely to draw me to visit than simply to visit another tourist attraction.

51. Beautiful pictures! My eyes were amazed! What a cool post!

CHECK OUT MY BLOG: lovablekitties.wordpress.com

52. Absolutely gorgeous pictures!

The picture with the water is breathtaking when contrasted with the greenery behind it.

And the other pictures…

Yarrow… good medicinal

Ox-eye daisy. YUM! Especially the greens, straight out of hand, or in a salad. Petals as well, but not as good as the greens. Avoid the flower center. They can give you an upset stomach if you eat too many.

Bunny.. Double YUM! 🙂

Bull Thistle (Cirsium) Prime edible. Leaves and roots and stems. First year it’s a basal rosette, second year it sends up a stalk and flowers. Roots are starchy. The pokey parts on the leaves nerf when cooked (boiled in soup), if they are young enough and don’t even need to be trimmed off.

Pilosella aurantiaca = Orange Hawkweed. It takes over my front yard in early summer and is just lovely. It also smells divine. The scent is very delicate. Usually called Hieraciums

Coltsfoot isn’t a Coltsfoot. The blooms come up in the spring before the leaves. They’ve long since been bloomed and done with months ago. Also the leaves are roundish, almost lillypad looking, and quite large. Think rounded burdock leaf. What you have there looks like a sonchus or lactuca. In other words a sow thistle or a wild lettuce. If I had a clear picture of the leaves, I could tell you for sure.

• Thank you for the correction, and all the information. I had no idea people could eat Ox Eye Daisy. I will add your link to the main post, by saying you have a comment below that helps identify the plant.

53. Kantu says:

I found your little tidbit about medicinal plants very interesting. Do you have a paper or PDF document that I could unload? Thanks.

• No I only have a hard copy that was handed out. Some time I may print all the info in the handout on the blog. I found it interesting too.

• Kantu says:

Well, if you decide to scan it one of these days…………

• It won’t scan clearly, but like I said, I will post the recipes and how to use the plants sometime. If you read a couple of the comments here, there are a couple of websites that use plants medically and they are pretty knowledgeable. Check them out. They would know far more than I learned at the seminar.

54. anditfeelslike says:

Nice shots!

55. You Gene says:

Congratulation on being freshly pressed!

56. Alyssa says:

Lovely photos! Those flowers are gorgeous and you made an awesome job capturing each of them. Congrats on making this entry to freshly pressed, by the way. 🙂

—————
    colorado springs divorce attorney

57. Enjoyed the photos. Thks for share 🙂

58. Nadun says:

🙂

59. Cheyenne.B says:

I love how you did a post on native species! I work at a tall grass prairie/oak savanna restoration site and we have a lot of these plants!
    When I first saw the picture of what you think may be Hawksbeard, I thought it might be a Hawkweed. A good way to identify is the leaves! – A Hawkweed has basil leaves at the base of the stem, none going ‘up’ the stem and Hawksbeard has the leaves all along the stem.
    Next time your out in the field check that out!
    As for the frilly white flowers and the yellow buds below, I can’t be sure (its hard to ID from pictures, but it’s fun trying!) Possibly the yellow ones are another Cinquefoil and the white flowers are from a New Jersey Tea shrub?

• Thank you Cheyenne. My post for today has all the images taken in a marsh and wetlands. I made a point to note that I do not know one grass from another when out in nature. The ornamental ones I know much better. My next trip out into the fields, I will be better at taking the whole plant’s photo. I do know as a Master Gardener, that you need the whole plant for proper ID, but as a photographer, I seem to gravitate to the prettier image, even though I did not post my best ones in this post.

• Cheyenne.B says:

I completly understand! I love taking pictures of the flowers and then I give up trying to ID them later on.
        I applaud your knowledge of ornamental plants – I dont know any!

60. Elizabeth says:

Amazing photos!!!!

61. photographybyjoylene says:

Bee-utiful images! Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

62. Aoife says:

Awesome and incredibly thorough. Great photos!

63. what a wonderland Donna- heartstopping images of your local scenery (lucky you!) and wildflowers but the carpeneter bees were among the most capitvating – and the bees that are literally throwing themselves at the Salvias

64. Thank you to filmcamera999 for helping me resolve an issue with a photograph in question from a previous post. I have removed the thread describing the issue since the company involved did the honorable thing by being responsible and apologetic. I have been pleased that the owner personally handled this. All is well in photo land.

65. I am looking at these on my lunch break and I felt I was along for the stroll with you. I love flowers of any kind especially wildflowers. Thanks for sharing. You Matter! Smiles, Nancy

66. GaiaBird says:

What a fantastic post. I’ll be sure to follow you from now on! 🙂

67. Reblogged this on Buffalo (NY) Heritage and commented:
    The mightly Niagara produces more than just energy.

68. Thanks for the walk in some beautiful nature.