Just Wanted To Say Au revoir

I am away for a while. I will not have internet access where I am going (I got the iPad without the 4G service, now I know why I shouldn’t have) so I will be unable to visit you all.  My iPhone is impossible to read blogs with unfortunately. Sure it can enlarge the view, and do some amazing things, but…

I am probably the only one in the world who uses an iPhone just as a phone. I have to admit using it for the web is a bit of a pain, typing is no fun and I feel a bit dorky dictating to a phone too. And as a camera? Well it is fine with a number of apps, but what is the point?

The posts will upload scheduled ahead of time. The posts will be of Chanticleer, and you will tour it through my lens just as I did.

Starting at the parking lot, we travel the property. You see it as I did with limited or almost no commentary. Just a series of 122 images, day after day, for 12 days. July 21 is a very pretty part of the gardens and two more images were added.

Thank you much for visiting GWGT. This trip is to Maine and Upstate NY. Please enjoy my garden photos, aphids and all. Not seeing it for a while, so hopefully it will not be consumed by aphids and spider mites during my absence. Calling all beneficial bugs and birds….

No rain predicted in Western New York this coming week, unfortunately. You can see the evidence above with the aphids on the Crabapple tree because of insufficient rain. Crazy Daisy is not looking too happy either.

This is a new Echinacea, Pink Poodle. Have you all seen the celebrities dyeing their poodles lately? Somebody should dye the people blue and pink and see how they like it. I am not even fond of the blue dyed orchids.

It has been very dry and I have been forced to drag around the hose, and anybody knowing me, knows I do not like watering the garden. To top it off, the darn hose tripped me and I sprained my ankle, so I have been hobbling around the garden today.

But we have to keep the bees happy and the flowers refreshed.

Mostly, flowers grown here are pretty well-adjusted to limited rain, but not all.

Case in point. Dahlias sulk. Keeping it watered though, and it has been rewarding me. But the slugs really like Dahlia. And I am not too fond of slugs. That is the negative part of watering the Dahlia.

It literally pains me to bring out the sprinklers, but when you look for the visitors, like the one below, it makes it all seem OK. They have to live too and I enjoy their company. See this little guy again in the tab Garden Moments. He or she is cute.

This is not my rose below, but one in the neighborhood. You can tell by how green is the grass that these folks have the sprinklers on a lot. Plus no aphids, guess why? I am not even going to show my browning weedy grass, the aphids are enough.

My lilies don’t seem to mind the dry season.

The leaning, wet Delphinium and lilies in the back garden, I am shooting into the sun and through the mist and falling sprinkler rain. Oh, there is a little foxglove I almost missed.

Bird food. It will be picked clean by the time I return. Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum.

The Delphinium in the front are crying out for rain. Sun lovers yes, they are planted here knowing the bed is dry and hot. But they much prefer a good drink now and then. I find when it is so dry, the blooms last a much shorter time, but the plants may bloom later in the season as a result.

The roses are pretty much nonstop, and have been cut back twice already this year.

White, pink and blue purple are the predominant colors of the front garden

Well, anyway, I hope to see you all when I return. I have the series on Chanticleer that I mentioned, and will be posting while I am away, of course, if I did not screw up the scheduling. I have done that before. Also, I have some great local gardens that I shot before I left and will get posts together on them when I return. These are gardens not to miss.

Bon voyage to me!

This entry was posted in Bugs, garden, My Garden, Nature and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Just Wanted To Say Au revoir

1. Bom says:

I like the shots of the aphids and the one of the Delphiniums with the mist and sprinkler on.
    Have a safe trip, Donna! Looking forward to your trip reports once you’re back again. A lot of bloggers seem to be going on out of town trips lately, myself included. Will someone be tending the garden while you are away?

2. Bon voyage. Enjoy your time away. Love your garden shots. That one of the aphids is great, from a photography point of view. Those little suckers can just disappear as far as I am concerned.

3. gauchoman2002 says:

Have a great trip, I’m sure that all your garden plants and friends (aphids and spider mites included) will be ready for you when you return. Safe travels.

4. Loving your photos and the insects you captured awesome:) Happy Travelin!

5. MARTHA says:

Have a fun trip. Come back with lots more of your incredible photos!

6. GirlSprout says:

I just got back from vacation; it’s good to go blogless sometimes. With blogger you can select a mobile view for a blog, which is what I’ve done and helps with smart phones. I hope you have a great time and it will be fun to view Chanticleer through your eyes.

7. Just a piece of unrequested information: You can set up your iPhone as a personal hotspot (without or – preferably – with password protection) and use its connection on other hardware, i.e. laptop, iPad etc. Of course, whether this is a good idea depends on you cell phone plan.

Personally I don’t mind a few aphids in the garden; not to have any does seem rather suspicious in many ways, unless you see the gardener constantly out there squashing away – which I guess is not the case. Eventually predators will stop by and limit their numbers, I find.
    And the lilies look amazing; you have so many…

8. Ogee says:

This should hold us over for a bit! Have a great trip, and say hello to upstate NY (home) for me 🙂

9. Andrea says:

Thanks so much for the tour of your garden, everything seems to be fine, the photos always splendid. Let’s see after your 12 days, let’s hope things will be the same. Enjoy your trip and we are excited for your posts about it.

10. vanetua says:

Wow! So pretty! We have a lot of the same flowers in our garden.

11. Lovely pictures ! Enjoy your time away. Wish I could sent you some of our rain clouds, we have plenty !!!

12. Grace says:

I love your photos. They are very inspiring.

13. Enjoy your time away…we will miss you…if you come through this way again in the future let me know so we can connect if you have time. I am about 15 minutes N of the Thruway up Rt 81. Hoping there is rain while you are away although this week looks more of the same hot and dry.

14. Stunning images as usual, Donna. Have a great and relaxing (unplugged) trip!

15. Oh the aphids and spider mites seem to be out in force right now! Your garden is looking spectacular despite your lack of rain! I am on the road too and my garden is often in my thoughts during this heat and dry spell. Hopefully there won’t be too many tragedies upon my return. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

16. You garden is really beautiful. Enjoy are vacation

17. Those aphids are amazing up close! I’m watering my garden much more than I did last year, and I’m still not keeping it up with it. I don’t bother with the grass, so it’s really brown, but I remember how beautiful it looked it March!

18. Have a wonderful time away! I look forward to your views of Chanticleer. My garden club is going there on the 14th … but I will be on an airplane that day, heading for MY two-week vacation. Hoping to figure out blogging on the iPad so I can suck some wi-fi whenever it’s available, to share the scenery in Alaska.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and relaxing time. Your photographs of watering the garden are so beautiful you’d never think there was a drought. Only you can make aphids look fantastic!

20. Have a good vacation. So neat to see the aphids up close and personal.

21. b-a-g says:

Have a great trip and I look forward to your return.

22. HolleyGarden says:

Have a great trip! Your comment about using your IPhone as only a phone made me chuckle. I’m going to have to change phones, and have been going back and forth about whether I need all that or not. Beautiful images. If it weren’t for the sprinkler in the background, your garden certainly wouldn’t look like it was hot or dry to me!

23. deborahelliott says:

Great close-up of the aphids! Enjoy your trip! I have an old cell phone that is very basic. I would love an IPhone, but I probably would not use half of its features.

24. Have a great trip! Hopefully it will be cooler more north. I, too, have the iPad without 4G. 🙂 My husband has it…oh well.

25. I hope you have a fabulous trip Donna, and that the beneficial bugs come flocking to your garden while you’re away! 🙂