The Garden of Towering Trees – Open Garden

This garden is a shade lover’s dream garden with towering trees and paths to intimate spaces. It is a very large garden that does not appear as such from the drive through the neighborhood to the home. You access the garden through the path above.

The water feature above you may recognize from a previous post on Plantasia, our area’s garden show. It is sited very similar to the way it was on display at the show, only the trees were not nearly the size as here.

Paths wind through the site and are layered with various shade plants such as Hosta and Astilbe. Where the sun breaks in, plants such as Rudbeckia and Oriental lilies are grown.

A variety of fern and Hydrangea are throughout.

There a few seating areas on the property, each having a different feel and ambiance.

A fork in the road…

More seating…

And more…

And hidden, there is more.

You can see this homeowner lets the Hosta flower. Notice in this image how cut logs are used edge the path.

The shovel sits awaiting work. It makes a nice and appropriate garden ornament.

Ivy is used as a ground cover along with colorful Impatiens.

The garden shed is beautifully decorated.

A bird bath nestles in amongst the lilies. Let’s take a stroll around again….

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walk Buffalo, Garden Walk Images, Gardening, GBBD, Nature, photography, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Garden of Towering Trees – Open Garden

1. Hi Donna – I’ve watched this garden mature over the past few years. Your photos certainly do it justice!

2. It’s gorgeous! Lovely photos, as always.

3. Barbie says:

This is the work of a master gardener! How beautifully placed all these plants and flowers – the foliage is outstanding. I could wander all day here! Thank you for sharing!

4. nicole says:

Holy Smokes! That is an amazing space! I like the nooks for seating…like a dream! I removed some of my Ivy under my honeysuckles but now I am having second thoughts! I am thinking about adding more impatients next year sue to all of my shade. They add a nice hint of color along those paths! Great pics!

5. Beautiful garden! So lush and green it just draws me in. I want to sit on those benches. Thanks for sharing this garden.

6. Great shots of one of the more impressive gardens in the area. If I could design a forest, this is what it would look like.

7. What an inviting spot. l love the sitting areas, especially the one with the slices of logs for the foot area. I wish my woods could have all those hostas….too many deer.

8. HolleyGarden says:

Very nice. I love my sunny garden, but every time I see photos of a shady garden with lots of trees, I feel a tinge of jealousy!

9. Patty says:

Simply beautiful garden, I can see myself easily at home here.

10. To me, Donna, this is the perfect garden! If I could ‘do it over’ I would have only shade gardens. Here I love the different materials used for patios and paths. I like to see hosta blooms, too. P. x

11. Les says:

Gorgeous! One could get lost, but one would at least have a nice place to sit.

12. b-a-g says:

Inspirational. Makes me want to go out and plant some trees in my lawn.

13. This is a gorgeous garden.

14. Gosh, I don’t know if I feel inadequate or inspired! Part of me says, “Wow, that would take a lot of work.” The other part says, “I could do that in my shady garden!” Maybe, for me, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love the benches, walkways, and decorations. It’s a wonderful example of replacing lawn with shade-loving plants.

15. Wow! I really love this garden. It is indeed very lovely place. I love the sitting area surrounded by hydrangeas. I really like it!

16. Hinterlandvillagebug says:

Wow what an amazing place this is..

17. Hello, this is a beautiful garden! I love the chairs, especially the green colored ones. Very well done!

18. I really like this garden as I am partial to shade gardens. All the seating arrangements are so inviting and the garden is so lush and full. When was this garden first established? My woodland garden is just 3 years old and not even close to being this dense. I missed your initial post on the water feature. I love it…what material is it made of? It looks like wood!

19. Oh Donna this is an amazing garden…it seems so cool and lush. it reminds me of my last garden that was completely in shade under mostly my neighbors 100 ft black walnut orchard. I do miss it and this is just so amazing with so many rooms to sit and contemplate.

20. Very nice garden and your photo show it perfectly!

21. Wow! This is very cool. It opens my mind to appreciate more the beauty of nature. Really our creator is more than wonderful. Great pictures. Inkjet Paper

Such a cool oasis, in more ways than one. I started out with a shade garden and couldn’t wait to get a sunny one. This year’s drought, though, as me longing for just one large shade tree.

23. Beautiful garden. You provide lots of inspirational garden. Thank you.

24. What an oasis, Donna. It always amazes me to see such an extensive private garden. Even if the homeowners are retired, it’s hard to imagine them keeping up with all the work without a crew of gardeners.

25. Jennifer says:

A beautiful garden, Donna and there are lots of pretty spots to it and enjoy it!