911 Remembered

Remembered

The 7 foot steel memorial to the fallen heroes of 9/11 was unveiled at the opening of the Niagara Falls Air Show in 2011 before touring military bases throughout the United States. The stainless steel memorial features the 3,034 names of every victim of the terrorist attack engraved in the base of the structure, with steel erections that are meant to evoke the towers themselves as well as the date of the attack. It was built locally and created by Steel Crazy Iron Art in Buffalo at the request of Colonel Mark Murphy, Base Commander of Niagara Falls Air Base. Over 400 hours and 1200 pounds of steel were used to complete the memorial.

The Thunder of Niagara Air Show, September 10 and 11, 2011, had the dedication of the monument to honor the first responders and our U.S. Military for their incredible service keeping us safe during these harrowing times and now, over the last eleven years. We thank them.

Respect and honor those that protect. The powerful USAF Thunderbirds, piloted by some of our finest. We are grateful and proud.

The Thunder of Niagara Air Show, September 10 and 11, 2011

Awesome flying and brave service.

Images, 2011

This entry was posted in Niagara Falls, photos, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to 911 Remembered

1. Victor Ho says:

Yes, last year’s tenth anniversary was pretty emotional down at the WTC site. Eleven years afterward and even with Bin Laden dead, it’s still a raw emotion.

• It must have been almost surreal being in the City from the day of 911 though each subsequent year to follow. We will live with this the rest of our lives. It is hard to see anything as it was anymore. Everything changed.

2. Powerful images on a solemn day…a wonderful remembrance Donna

• Thank you Donna, I thought to revisit the powerful display at our Air Force Reserve base last year. It was a celebration of the heroes of 911, and a tribute to those lost in the line of duty. But no one will ever get out of their mind the innocents who lost their lives that day. So tragic a day for the US and the world.

3. Barbie says:

It still hits home and we always will remember this day.

• I watched some replay of the event this weekend with actual recordings of the event as it unfolded, and the shock became clearer than ever before. A sickened feeling is felt by all, yet we remember proudly all the heroes of that day and beyond. It took special people to do what they did and put the life of others ahead of their own.

4. Still seems so fresh in the mind…very nice photo remembrance and support of our troops!

• For some reason this year,and even more than at tenth anniversary, what occurred has brought back all the feelings of fear to when it happened. It affected me far greater than I would have ever imagined and I did not have a loved one lost in the event. Maybe because it is the eleventh year, I don’ know, maybe because Bin laden is finally gone and other extremists seek retribution, but it is a somber time for Americans.

5. It’s a beautiful and stirring monument. Thanks for sharing the image.

6. Solemn day. Beautiful monument.

7. Shirley says:

Thank you Donna, these are beautiful and memorable images. Eleven years ago my husband was active duty Air Force and we were living on base in Alabama. It is was a tense time, but I also have many special memories. Your photos remind me of the strength and courage of so many during that time.

• My brother was also in the AF, so I have much admiration for the job that they do. It was pretty remarkable how people rose to the challenges. The special I watched this weekend showed the interactions between the air traffic controllers,the FAA and the AF. Amazing how they handled the pressures and demands. All with calm strength and professionalism, even with all the uncertainty.

8. allisonsarah says:

Amazing photos! You should enter them into Canon’s Project Imaginat10n https://www.longliveimagination.com

9. HolleyGarden says:

Wonderful photos. The monument is beautiful. The more I looked at it, the more detail and symbolism I could see, and I imagine seeing it in person is extremely moving.

10. Lovely photos and somehow it seemed appropriate that they were soaring into the sky, somehow uplifting while commemorating a horrific event.

11. So many times they climbed skyward. I have one image over my house where they kept going and going until they were but tiny dots in the sky. That was truly amazing.

It’s hard to believe it’s been 11 years. It still feels very fresh in some ways, as I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

• I too remember what I was doing. I had a client to meet and called to cancel, but she insisted I keep the appointment. It took one hour to get to the client who was only ten minutes away. I live on the Canadian border and the military was guarding the border with roads closed and traffic stops. I was very upset having to keep that appointment. My mind was not on the presentation.

13. When I saw your ‘911’ title, I wondered how a beautiful and rosy thinker like you will depict the ugly, sad and bleak 911 trauma. Well, I was pleased with what I read because as usual, you communicated the hope, brightness and solidarity brought upon the world after a terrible incident. =>

14. Brian Comeau says:

Being in Canada it likely has a different feel when we remember 911. My memories were of all the planes being diverted here and wondering what was happening next. Our first daughter was only 8 days old and I couldn’t help but also wonder what my wife and I were bringing this little girl into and how to explain what we were watching on to TV to our 3 year old son. Never felt anything like it. Hope to never feel it again. I agree with the others in that your images of the planes are so appropriate.

• Thanks Brian. Living on the border brought its own set of fears. We had the AF flying overhead and armed guards at checkpoints. I can imagine you with young children and what you envision for their future. It is certain the problems in the world are not ended, and the Middle East (Israel, Iran, Syria, etc.) most likely will erupt in a big way in our lifetime. Sad what will become of this earth and its people if that occurs.