Fall Garden Color

You gotta love the vibrancy of Fall color and a dash of morning or late afternoon sunlight.

All the photos look better bigger, so give a click… and if you missed the first garden post on Friday… Photographing Fall with Garden Snaps, have a look.

Late night, rain touched petals… look so fresh and new amongst the golden and browning foliage of the Hibiscus.

Almost a painting… with maximum blur washing the scene.

Planted as companions… goldenrod and butterfly bush make happy pollinators.

Honestly, for as much as these plants attract the buzzers and flappers, I can never get a good clean shot of them on these two plants.

The thing about Fall is that you find the most curious blooms peeking up between companions, whether intentionally planted like the goldenrod, or volunteers like the aster above.

Roses lowering their heads… roses facing the sun.

Drone Fly

The Coreopsis still has buds. I cut it back late in the season to flush the bloom for Fall. So few plants are providing for pollinators in most gardens that I try to keep some of the re-bloomers flowering. Plus I like to do a portrait or two… say cheese!

A bunch of aster twigs, golden in the afternoon sun.

The Delphinium makes an appearance, but not standing tall like in Spring. It is far more relaxed finding support among other perennials.

The fire of Penstemon.

Lilies alight with a backdrop of Perovskia. The Russian Sage is still supporting wildlife.

This photo above, was taken with my little Coolpix.  Remember last post I talked about my January trip? I am planning to take the Coolpix to St. Lucia, rather than my heavy DSLR and FX lenses. Packing light…

I need some practice with it I think…. I do remember that it can take nice pictures…. not evidenced above and the last two photos in the post. I must have a simple setting screwed up that I need to change. Note to self, get to using the Coolpix.

I chopped down about half of the color on Friday. Too much to go to seed and time to tidy for the neighbors. It is nice to see the bright colors, but the plants get a little scraggly and need cutting back. Below, is before the chopping occurred.

A kaleidoscope of front-yard color. The yellows and oranges of the Japanese Lilac Trees.

The self-seeded, white and lilac Alyssum.

My homegrown pumpkins and squash… and a front yard of pumpkin color. I already made two pies from the first of the white pumpkins to ripen. Like promised, they were sweet.

Looking up and down the street from my driveway, the Norway Maples color the streetscape. They have thin canopies because they were very stressed this year with little rain. The leaf size is smaller than usual too. I am sure we will be inundated with helicopter seed pods next spring.

This entry was posted in COLOR, Fall, FLOWERS, garden, Gardening, Nature, photos and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Fall Garden Color

1. Sigh…where do I start? Well, I guess by saying I hope you have a wonderful trip to St. Lucia! What a wonderful adventure to look forward to! OK, now for your photos–you’ve outdone yourself again. I think they’re all fantastic, even the ones taken with the Coolpix. I love the shot with the Pumpkins. The Goldenrod and Butterfly Bush are indeed excellent companions! And the shot of the Lilies and the Russian Sage is stunning!

• Thank you. I am looking forward to St. Lucia. My cousin has four acres on the island and I look forward to the many and varied habitats in this area. From the photos I have scene, I am expecting a little of the rainforest appeal of Costa Rica, where I spent a summer previously.

2. Jenna says:

Your photographs are simply amazing! Wow, what a feast for the eyes. Beautiful, beautiful post. I am happy to see your appreciation for the insects that visit your flowers too. Insects tend to get a bad rap, but I’ve always had a heart for them. Wonderful post. 🙂

• I am a home gardener mainly for the wildlife. I design landscapes for a living and make sure that some portion of them are left natural. Example, we install huge wildflower meadows and shaded woodland gardens. Water features are almost always part of a design too.

3. Gobetween says:

Beautiful fall photos!

4. Your garden is looking very fallish! Surprised your daylilies are still blooming.but they do add a nice yellow to the mix. Love the yellow/purple companion planting!

5. Wonderful photos of autumn. Thank you for sharing your view of the world. Enjoy your trip to St. Lucia. We were there a few years ago. A wonderful place for some R&R. – http://mary-goingnative.blogspot.com/

6. Marguerite says:

Loved the combination of the goldenrod with the butterfly bush. I’m not generally partial to butterfly bush due to the invasive tendancies but I just might have to look into a sterile bush as I have oodles of goldenrod that would look wonderful with this. Thanks for the idea.

• Here are some being tested and sold as sterile.

Buddleja ‘Blue Chip’ The one pictured is Blue Chip, but although tested to be considered sterile, I have found one volunteer in three years. All that are being tested do show minor self seeding. The last three in this list are examples.

Buddleja ‘Asian Moon’
      Buddleja ‘Purple Haze’
      Buddleja ‘Ice Chip’ (Formerly ‘White Icing’)

FLUTTERBY GRANDÉ™ Blueberry Cobbler Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBY GRANDÉ™ Peach Cobbler Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBY GRANDÉ™ Sweet Marmalade Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBY GRANDÉ™ Tangerine Dream Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBY GRANDÉ™ Vanilla Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBY PETITEâ„¢ Snow White Nectar Bush
      FLUTTERBYâ„¢ Pink Nectar Bush

Buddleja ‘Lilac Chip’
      Buddleja ‘Miss Molly’
      Buddleja ‘Miss Ruby’

7. It is as if your garden is more southern and not even in NY. Wow. Amazing what one freeze will do in the garden. Love all the blues especially.

• We are warmed by the the Great Lakes in our region. Our weather stays warm usually into December, but like any area near water, can change rather rapidly, like the lake effect snows. The lake temps are warmer than the air temps and cause drastic changes in weather. Lake Ontario is fairly close to me and the Niagara River plays a part in moderating climate too.

8. Jennifer says:

You have some terrific close-ups in this post Donna. There is amazing detail in the bee’s eye for instance. The sunlight is so golden at this time of year and you have captured it perfectly.

9. Lovely pictures of fall color. I’ve got to get started on the fall clean up as well.

10. I love the pictures, as a non-gardener your blog has given me greater appreciation for plant life. Though as far as fall is concerned, I still prefer the big landscape colors. And around this time Dartmouth NH is amazing. (there is a Dartmouth Nova Scotia which I’m told is also very nice)

11. Butterfly bush tends to be invasive? I’ve planted them four times and haven’t had a survivor yet. I just planted new ones a couple weeks ago. Keep your fingers crossed for me. As always, beautiful photos!

12. Love that buddleia goldenrod combo! Beautiful! Have fun on your vacation.

You live on such a lovely tree-lined street! I imagine that the Norway Maples provide excellent fall color when they aren’t stressed from lack of water. Your street reminds me of the one I grew up on (where my parents still live), a quiet boulevard lined with maples (not Norway, but I’m not sure what type).

14. kafemandela says:

Reblogged this on KafeMandela and commented:
    Take a garden walk, enjoy the fall colors:

15. Brian Comeau says:

The shots of the bees and the self-seeded white and lilac Alyssum are pretty cool. Glad to see you are feeling better too.

16. Thanks Brian. My post tonight has closeup bees galore. Hope you stop back.

17. I love the butterfly bush goldenrod combo. Is it a small butterfly bush or do you cut it back to keep it shorter? Mine are all over ten feet because I like to grow other shrubs and trees under them so don’t cut them back. I have been thinking of taking them out. They are invasive in our area—I remove about 50 seedlings a year and some still get away from me. I haven’t made the plunge yet. I am having the same problem with the iPad again–it won’t download Blotanical using wifi or cellular and this time I know the link isn’t broken. No problem on my laptop. I guess I need to consult Apple.

• The Buddleja is Lo and Behold. It only gets about 3 feet high and wide, zone 5a to 9b. I cut it back to 1 foot in Spring. Our area does well with Butterfly Bush because they have a more difficult time over wintering, probably killing off the volunteers. I am not sure what to tell you on the iPad because the WiFi and cellular are different systems, so maybe the email address needs to be reentered.That happened to me a few weeks back. Or it is your network that needs to reentered.

18. Donna–I can’t believe how healthy some of your plants look. We haven’t had a killing frost, but my perennials have looked “spent” for some time. In fact, on Saturday I cut everything back and cleaned up the flower beds for winter. I did stop watering all but my vegetable plants early in Sept.

19. lula says:

Wish you a wnderful time in St.Lucia, and please bring your baggage with lots of photos! It is a fantastic exercise to use the coolpix, and it gives you time to enjoy the vacation. I do that wih my Canon g9, it’s so portable!

20. Andrea says:

Oh i missed this post, with those awesome blues and violets that i love most. I am so sorry for the tree that need to be chopped, oh i pity it. And I wish you a wonderful and safe trip, I hope you are very well recuperated to be going to that trip! I have the Sony as my buddy PnS! So you are going to the tropics now, I hope it is not so hot and humid!

21. Reblogged this on My Feng Shui Garden and commented:
    An Autumn garden is just stunningly beautiful with all faded, bright and harmonious hues of color. I love it and tend to design gardens with special interest in Fall to be prepared with energy for the coming Winter. Sunny regards, Mariëtte Verlaan http://www.feng-shui-tuin.nl

22. Joe Owens says:

I am not sure if the flowers or photography is more impressive, but I look forward to more of both. You have a great eye and certainly show how much you enjoy God’s creation!

23. thequeenofseaford says:

Love the mid-range focus of the Sweet Alyssum. Also like the picture of the bee on the buddleia, you can see the flower reflected on its eye!

24. beautiful colour Donna, Frances

25. Jamie S. says:

Amazing photos. I´ve always loved fall garden, thanks to the warm colour or because of the late summer atmosphere. The place look very lively and your photos captured what´s best in there. I have to say you have a great looking garden. I know it must be hard keeping your garden in such a good shape, as maintaining it must be more than hard work. Especially now the autumn is in its full power. But I am sure it’s not only about the hard work, but also about joy. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us and I wish you luck with your gardening.

26. Virginia says:

What stunning photos! You live on a gorgeous street – I’d love to have that view every morning as I get out of my driveway 🙂