Happy New Year, Mayans – We’re Still Here

Pears

Pears

I want to wish you all a peary Joyous, Healthy and Happy New Year. We had years of speculating about how and when the Earth will meet its inevitable doom thanks to those esoteric cultists who misread the Mayan ‘Long Count’ calendar. But in comes 2013, and time for the merriment.

There have been many doomsday scenarios throughout history, but this one was a biggie popularized and perpetuated by the internet, supported by various possible catastrophic outcomes. Did you build your doomsday shelter?

How about following all the crazy possibilities, from the black hole in the Milky Way, to the alignment of the sun with the plane of the Universe? The asteroids and comets hurling around space, the sun flares propelling plumes of solar particles earthward, and the Earth’s magnetic field gone awry were all proposed as our time comes to an end.  And of course, all the recent natural disasters led many to fret the end.

PinkRoseOpen

Pink Rose

Yep, we are all still here for 2013 and made it through the doomsday scare by those pesky Mayans and their birch-bark books. Was there any doubt? Their calendar just hit an end point. The Mayan “see all and know all” seers and mystics must have just run out of things to report.

Ironically, in this contentious world, the day could signal the beginning of cataclysmic times of disaster, natural or instigated by the likes of those bent on destruction to fellow humans. In turn, it could warrant drastic measures by some branch of science or the military.

SinglePinkRose

I want the beauty of this Earth to live on, not end up as space dust, I can tell you that for sure. But we have current problems here that people should not ignore.

Red_Gerbera

Red Gerbera

I want all nations for once and for all, to agree to peace. Quit the squabbles. We have got bigger problems in this world to worry about, ones we are causing. The Earth warming up is going to be responsible for many hardships. We are seeing the environmental and meteorological effects just starting to become serious. The problem is easily identified. The problem is us, all 7,056,304,837 of us.

olivecard1

My painting of a cardinal on an olive branch, a symbol of peace.

It is about time we all realize there is too much in this world to lose. I can add a bit of beauty in my work, but wouldn’t it be great if that is what would happen the world over. If everyone saw beauty of place and became inspired to protect and preserve it? For everyone to feel the responsibility of place, care for the creatures and have only goodwill towards fellow humans?

To look at the Earth as the gift it truly is in its atmosphere, temperature, air, water, soils, plants, animals, seasons, and weather that is just what we need to sustain life. Only a hope that the world’s turmoil turns to resolution of all things better and good. Don’t let prophecies color reality.

This year more than any other, I wish for peace in this world. It is more important today that we hold a beautiful, positive, protective, unified reality for ourselves and our Earth, one in which we build an optimistic attitude towards the New Year which is sure to arrive.

This entry was posted in Art, garden, photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Happy New Year, Mayans – We’re Still Here

1. Victor Ho says:

Peace on earth, goodwill to all. One at a time. All the best to you.

• You got me thinking… which is first, or does it matter? Have a great New Year Victor. I extend that to your family as well. I saw the family portrait your wife photographed. I thought it looked good.

2. paulinemulligan says:

I so agree with your sentiments, peace and goodwill to all in the future. Love your painting of the cardinal, before I became a woodcarver, I was a wildlife artist, it makes you appreciate the beauty all around you doesn’t it! I wish you a very peaceful and happy 2013.

• I paint and draw animals often. I like horses, big cats, bears, anything that walks, swims or flies. I do people portraits too. I have had fine art training, but learned my wood carving on my own. Once I became an architect and thought and designed in 3D, I started the wood sculptures and stained glass. It is a very different discipline to move from 2D to 3D.

3. Dana S. Hugh says:

Happy New Year for everybody!

4. Dear Donna, Your postings are so inspiring on many levels and this is no exception. Love the roses (with a little snow falling on them – so pretty). Your cardinal ‘peace’ painting is lovely. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! P. x

5. Well it appears we have so much more in common these days as our thoughts both drift to peace, preservation and a better world….lovely thoughts with an incredible painting Donna! Thank you for your inspiration…. Happiest of New Years in 2013!!

• Thank you Donna. Happy New Year to you also. When I read your post, I almost thought we were of two minds the same because my post was written awhile ago. Mainly because I just knew we were going to be here in 2013. The only scare I had was with Israel and Palestine. One never knows when that pot will boil over.

6. You are a talented artist. I really like your painting. I try to remember that calendars and clocks and time are man-made devices used to create order. And I’m not convinced that the warming of the earth is man-made. I’m thinking the sun has a lot to do with our weather patterns. The jet stream and the high/low pressure areas seem to have a lot to do with our weather patterns. I wish you a very happy and peaceful New Year.

• I write on a warming planet quite often. Many more close to and knowledgeable of the subject believe that the warming problem is a combination of many factors, both natural and man made, as do I. Planet warming and cooling has been going on for eons, but never in any time in history (where scientists could verify it) has it happened as rapidly (degrees per decade and century) without having a catastrophic precursor (like massive volcanoes or meteor strikes for instance).

” Emissions continue to grow so rapidly that an international goal of limiting the ultimate warming of the planet to 3.6 degrees, established three years ago, is on the verge of becoming unattainable, said researchers affiliated with the Global Carbon Project, a network of scientists that tracks emissions.” http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/globalwarming/index.html

“The World Bank has warned global temperatures could rise by four degrees Celsius this century without immediate action, with potentially devastating consequences for coastal cities and the poor.” http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-19/world-bank-issues-global-warming-warning/4379634 And this means that there would be irreversible loss of biodiversity. I find that unbearable.

I am not disagreeing with you but concurring that natural warming is a fact as well.

7. Happy new year to you as well, Donna. I agree with your sentiments entirely!

8. Amazing your painting of the cardinal! I feel the mayans were just telling us that we need a change, and we should start over and this time with the best intentions to care for land our ourselves I wish that we can make our very positive wishes come true. Happy, happy new year 2013

• I think that is very true since they lived lives in tune with the land. I know the beginning of my post is tongue and cheek in its approach, but these people were far ahead of their times in learning, art, architecture and the application of knowledge. The serious part of my post is simple – for people the world over to care for the planet in a way in which they would want to be cared for themselves – compassion preservation and care. And with the same respect shown to others. With all the fighting and killing worldwide, it will not be too long in the future where a nation acts aggressively in a world destructive way.

9. Good one! Yep, we are, Mayans!
    Happy New Year, Donna!
    🙂

10. I love your painting of the cardinal, truly there is no end to your talents Donna! May all your wishes and dreams come true in 2013!

11. I think the best way to create peace in the world is to work at having peace in your own little corner of the world. It’s difficult, and I am not always successful. But sometimes I am successful, and that makes life better for me and for the people around me.

12. Beautiful post Donna and a very happy New Year to you filled with peace, good health, happiness and many joyful memories!

13. Fossillady says:

Oh, this is a lovely post Donna! If we all prayed for peace everyday, what do you suppose would happen? It could be as simple as that! All wanting the same outcome would manifest it. Beautiful images to go along with your beautiful thoughts! Happy New Year!

14. HolleyGarden says:

Your painting is just lovely. I hope you have a very Happy New Year! And I like fossillady’s take!

15. Your flower photos always charm me with the delicate nature. And the painting of the cardinal ! That’s amazing !! Hope you have a wonderful and Happy New Year.

16. Marguerite says:

What a lovely and inspiring post Donna. I hadn’t thought about how doomsday talk could lead some to instigate problems but I definitely see the point. Here’s hoping for a brighter future for all of us.

• Too many bad people with bad intentions in this world to think in that way, to look at it as opportunity. But, luckily that did not occur. I so wish people could see good in everything and everyone around them. We are in a societal sink in this world, where the sheer number of people effect the actions of others.

17. b-a-g says:

We’re lucky to be able to think about things like global warming, being kind to the planet etc. Many people in the world don’t have that luxury because they’re just struggling to stay alive.

Donna – Thanks for making us think outside the box (while looking at your beautiful photos and artwork). Wishing you all the best for 2013!

• Yep, too many people. But, through history on this planet, have people not always had to struggle for life? Did they not have to make choices, create shelter, and find food? And those in struggling countries, are they not being oppressed by others in power? Being denied even a subsistence life at the expense of others living a life of prosperity? The inequities abound. Is that just the way of the world?

What I feel fortunate for is that I made the choice to live well, to be educated, to have motivation. It easily could have went in another direction if I made that choice. Our country has much, but there are people here living without, but our taxpayers take care of them.

18. Happy New Year. Maybe the Mayans weren’t predicting a big boom but knew that after the predicted date, it would be too late. Just finished Barbara Kingsolver’s book Flight Behavior, which contains a lot of food for thought re climate change. See you soon.

• I have thought of that as well. It is just too sad to think we have reached a point of no return on the environment, but it is a real possibility. There are so many studies currently on this and it is getting alarming. I truly believe that we have reached the tipping point. Where it seems to be most evident that a change is happening, is in the upheaval of biodiversity. Plants, insects and animals are on the ‘move’. Because that is not as overt, it is only evident to those studying their particular subjects, but when you pull it all together, it paints an obvious picture of what is to come. But the big question is what is the ‘what’ that is coming.

19. Gardengirl says:

I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award because your blog has inspired me. Thank you! 🙂 Check back at my blog for a badge if you would like to accept. If not, I completely understand that some people have already gotten this and some are just too busy. Thank you for inspiring me anyway!

• Thank you very much, I am honored you would say that I have inspired you in some way. I will stop in and officially thank you. I am not one that participates in awards, but truly do appreciate being nominated.

Your images are so beautiful. It is sad that many people do not experience beauty but only despair and hate. I do what I can in my little corner of the world, what is within my sphere if influence. I am blessed that I am surrounded by family and friends and have an opportunity to make a small part of the world a better place. May you have a wonderful 2013, and may you bring joy and peace to those around you.

• Thank you, Deb. I very much share your perspective. In my post I had hoped by saying, “If everyone saw beauty of place and became inspired to protect and preserve it?” that this would be precisely what could happen someday. Like you, taking care of your “corner of the world”, if everybody just would, regardless of income or means. Care could mean no more than leaving it be with minimal human intervention or impact.

21. A gorgeous painting, Donna. I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes I wonder if, as a species, we’ve lost sight of the big picture. I can’t control others, but I can do my own small part, and share in your wish for unity, and peace. Happy New Year.

• You are very kind, Claire. I too believe the big picture has been shelved for a lot of little pictures. People often don’t care what impact they have on their surroundings or on people in their community. Too many of them makes for an out of balance collective. Happy New Year to you and your whole family (critters too).

22. Les says:

Do you think I can turn my shelter into a mushroom farm?

I hope your wishes for 2013 come true for all of us.

23. Brian Comeau says:

Beautiful thoughts here Donna. Here’s to 2013! All the best to you and yours.

• I wish for beauty to extend around the world. And I mean that in many senses of the word, like beauty of spirit for instance. There is far too much strife on this planet and that makes for a very unsettling world. Beauty gets replaced with heartbreaking ruin.

Great post with beautiful photos. Happy New Year!

25. TufaGirl says:

I say all the “last” day of Mayan calendar meant was the Mayans needed the next year’s calendar. I think we take some things way too seriously and the things that really matter are treated as insignificant. Here’s to less emotional and more practical thinking in 2013. Happy New Year, Donna!

• I think they got tired of writing. 😀 It is all perspective on what is important. Many thought these predictions were and found out they were mis-predicted. Some think grand scale and others look to the home front. Some people don’t think anything is important. It is all a matter of attitude. I tried to add humor and look to some seriousness to my wish for the New Year, no matter how improbable. One thing great about blogging… it gives people a platform to say what is on their mind. I use it that way often.

It is always a pleasure to visit your blog. Have a wonderful New Year.

27. Rose says:

I’ve been somewhat absent from the blogging world during the holidays and have missed seeing your stunning photography, Donna. I think if everyone spent more time gardening or at least out enjoying the beauties of nature, there would be less bickering in the world. I join you in your wish for peace in this coming year and a hope that people will care more about this world we live in. Happy New Year!

• Thank you Rose. Very kind words.I agree if more could work with their hands in the soil, there would be more happy people and less turmoil. The world is filled with a lot of unhappy people though. It will take a drastic world change before people come together and share a direction and outlook.

28. Layanee says:

Now I know why you have such an artist’s eye. Love the cardinal on the olive branch. It is just beautiful. Keep painting please.

29. Saxon says:

And best wishes to you Donna. Keep up the good work for 2013 – and beyond

30. Donna–The beauty you shared in the photos (and in that superb painting) added emphasis to our need to appreciate, respect, and preserve the beauty of the earth. It was especially comforting to see rose pictures after the world was supposed to end.

31. I love your cardinal painting. Very nicely done, another talent is shared.
    My kids went to an end of the world party….Mayan pyramid and all. ahahaa I do hope we can move forward as adults and take better care of our world.