Get Nuts – It’s Squirrel Appreciation Day Again

Squirrel_SD-4Yep, that time of year again and I will miss the festivities. The time of year we honor the rodents of the garden and forests, appreciate the little tree climbers and offer a few nuts of gratitude for the little fellows.

Squirrel_AD-1

Did you know that squirrel behavior sometimes changes in winter? Some of the squirrels will leave their leafy balls in the trees and search out warmer places to nest. They look for a hollow tree to stuff the leaves for a cozy abode.

Squirrel_AD-2

Squirrels also have some good points, that is if you are not plagued by them. They are acrobatic and pretty darn smart, the combination that gets them into worlds of trouble. But their biggest contribution is that they plant trees. Can you think of a better gift to the environment?

Squirrel_AD-3

Well, since it’s their day, let’s get out there and shoot them. With a camera, silly, what did you think I meant?

Squirrel_SD-5

Also, spare a few nuts.

Squirrel_SD-7

The squirrels will appreciate you too.

Squirrel_SD-6

Last year’s tribute…. here.

This entry was posted in garden, Squirrels and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Get Nuts – It’s Squirrel Appreciation Day Again

1. Christy says:

These pictures are so cute! We don’t have squirrels which is very odd because our property is surrounded by woods and, as you know, we have a lot of feeders. We had two that visited a couple of years ago, but I haven’t seen them in a long time. Maybe they don’t like our six dogs.

2. Oh, and they do look grateful and pleased with the nut offerings!
    Lovely shots, Donna!!!
    Happy new week!
    🙂

3. Pat says:

I featured squirrels today too. I love these cute little rascals.

4. HolleyGarden says:

I know people that consider the squirrel a nuisance, but I just love them. Now I’ll always think of them as helpers of the tree – planting new ones so they have more to climb! Great shots, as always.

5. Wonderful photos Donna!

6. Carolyn says:

Aren’t they little characters! Your pics capture their personalities so well. We don’t have squirrels in our gardens… which is quite interesting as I’ve seen them just down the road a bit. We did have a surprise visit last summer by a chipmunk… not sure who was more surprised… him or me! I met him face to face literally as I was kneeling in one of my flower beds gardening. We determined he had caught a ride in the neighbors truck who had just come down from the nearby canyon. Never saw him again… hoped he was smart enough to go hide in the truck and get a ride back home.

7. Phil Lanoue says:

Well these photos certainly serve to celebrate Squirrel Appreciation Day!
    Cute little guys. 🙂

8. The squirrels should appreciate me already, the birds (and I) drop more then enough peanuts and sunflower to make them happy. As my old mom might have said, every day is squirrel appreciation day!

9. Beautiful little guys!

10. Emily Heath says:

The red tailed squirrel at https://orchardparkway.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/squirrel_sd-7.jpg seems to have a different tail to a standard grey squirrel, am I imagining this or is it a different species?

11. We don’t have many squirrels but a couple visit from time to time…they are cute but I still have a few residual issues with them from my last garden…I give them a wide berth and try not to judge…without nut trees they have little interest in my garden. Your pictures are too cute.

12. Beautiful, little characters who live to make huge contributions to nature! The first time I saw a squirrel, I was in awe! No squirrels here in my place. lol.

13. I have a love/hate relationship with squirrels. They recently ate every bud off a friends star magnolia tree. They don’t do much damage here and help keep my dogs in shape. They know just how high to climb before they are out of reach but close enough to taunt them. Plus, I think they’re cute!

14. Squirrels are incredible. They were scampering around my backyard today, even though the high was only 3F! Tough little critters! They occasionally dig in my planters, but mostly I just respect them. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

15. shobhnaa says:

Amazing shots Donna! How minutely you observe their behavior, really appreciable…. !

16. b-a-g says:

Love the squirrel colours and textures against the tree bark.

17. Indie says:

Happy squirrel appreciation day! It is good to think of them in the light of planting trees, as opposed to just being the little rascals they are. 😉

18. gardeningshoe says:

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the title of this post and once I had calmed down, I really enjoyed this romp through the world of the squirrel! I concede that they look very cute, but I enjoy them so much more when they are in someone else’s garden. Is that very wrong of me?

19. Nothing like a squirrel to make me LOL 🙂

20. Jenna says:

While they are a bit too clever for their own good, who can resist those little faces and those little people hands? Excellent photos! Great post!

21. lucindalines says:

They are cute when not tearing up your shingles or drowning in the pool. I left them some smashed up pumpkins last fall, but they didn’t care for them. Hope someone ate them. Not sure now because of the snow cover.

22. shobhnaa says:

I am again commenting on this but I wanted to intimate about my post on macro shots of winter-spring flowers, I performed my first macro shots keeping your macro photography in mind as inspiration. Thanks for being great inspiration here.

23. As much as I enjoy watching their antics, I have to admit that ‘squirrel’ has become a bit of a dirty word around here. We had a huge population of them last year, and the orchard suffered accordingly. I just wish they’d learn to share 😉

24. Hi Donna, your pictures are tremendous. Here in the UK we have the grey squirrel that inhabit our gardens. Some of us have a love / hate relationship with them. They cleverly stretch themselves and contort their bodies to get some nuts from the birdfeeder. My cat guards the garden and stands like a sentry waiting for the fluffy tailed little lovlies to emege. She will stealthily creep up and on one occassion caught one. I will definately following your blog for the joy of the beautiful photography.

Your photos are so cute! I have always liked squirrels, though they do raid the bird feeders and make complete pigs of themselves, never stopping until the feeder is empty. I once raised a baby squirrel from earliest infancy until he was old enough to be gradually reintroduced into the wild. Whiskers was very smart, though he thought I was his momma!

26. Pingback: Crosswalks, The Social Forest, & Why Nobody Trusts Squirrels « Casual, Possibly-Nonsensical Ramblings

27. shar says:

oh I admit i love squirrels they are funny and amart and can be loving if you raise them…they are true survivors Yours are do reddish brown and plump…I have been bitten my my Freddy and it smarts but i would so love to hear his fart little heartbeat and feel and stoke his fur…

28. We have been having babies come around at the base of the bird feeders, they are cute.

29. Pingback: The Urban Squirrel – A True Story |