The Need to Care

niagarasky1

One story is grief, one story is us. If this does not change you, if it does not bring a tear, if it does not make one feel deeply… the 2.4 square mile Midway Atoll – midway in the North Pacific Ocean between North America and Asia is more than 2000 miles from the nearest continent. Why I care what we are doing to this planet. Albatross surviving and dying amongst the scourge of plastic that fills their stomachs and pollutes our world. Please at least see the first video. It is very moving and everyone on the planet should see these videos. Change is necessary. World Ocean Day, June 8th..

Want to know more… how you can help?

Narrated by the photographer making the documentary:

This entry was posted in environment and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to The Need to Care

1. May I reblog this?

2. The videos do bring a tear; they make you mad, and angry. They also help to stir the resolve to continue to push to make change. Thank you for sharing such important information.

3. lucindalines says:

Reblogging this on lucindalines. I am horrified!!

4. lucindalines says:

Reblogged this on lucindalines and commented:
    Please take the time to watch this. The second video lets you know what can be done to help.

Oh, how incredibly heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing it, Donna.

6. Change is absolutely necessary!!!
    Thank you for these videos, Donna.

7. Lin Celoni says:

Taking this to my middle school Sunday School class this morning. We are talking about Love in Action…… thanks

8. Thank you for continuing to bring these things to light…each of us can do one thing whether in the last posts for me it is to use less chemicals or here reduce plastics use. Years ago I bought metal thermoses and use these only. I eliminated many of my plastic storage with glass in my lunches. We don’t use plastic bags and we continue to find new ways to eliminate plastics, but where do these old plastics go but the landfills.

When we think this water bottle of coke bottle isn’t hurting anyone, here is direct proof…I am a boycotter as well and will continue to spread the word. I will work some of this into an upcoming post and link back Donna.

• Sign the petition coming up in the post for tomorrow. It is one I am sure you will put your name to. I could write everyday on things we as a nation do that is environmentally wrong and damaging to the earth, insects, birds, mammals, and us. It is never ending. In college I had a graduate course on Environmental Controls. You might think this course was to control the environment, but it was to control the materials and methods we use in building and site development, so the building and site were to be a better environmental citizen, use less resources in use and construction. What people don’t realize in all the criticism of what humans do, there are things we do that try to lay less of a detrimental impact. We will never have zero impact, but one less harmful is what is the goal. Sadly, not all we develop works that way though. Plastics is a prime example. Plastics are everywhere.

9. yourothermotherhere says:

It’s sad and senseless, but the truth is, we don’t even care about each other as human beings. The birds will have to adapt and if they cannot, then they will die out because not enough people care.

10. Debra says:

So heartbreaking.

Here in Austin an ordinance was passed to disallow plastic shopping bags. It took years in the making. It was interesting to watch people’s reactions at the checkout stand. For the first month or so there sure were a lot of angry people but now people have just adapted and it doesn’t seem to be a big deal anymore. But it really is a big deal for the planet. I kind of wish there would have been more public education on the importance of the ban but I guess changing people’s habits is a big enough win.

Plastics are so ugly. Not just for life on the planet but visually, too. My mother-in-law creates the most beautiful quilted bags. I use these for shopping and never fail to get compliments. A sturdy cloth bag will last for ages. Eventually the cloth will just disintegrate — as it should. I love the idea of native sand paintings for this reason — why keep something around forever? There is an even greater sense of beauty in seeing a creation blow into the wind. Ephemeral things remind us of our place.

I remember watching the movie The Golden Compass years ago and thinking that the cinematography was breathtaking. One of the ways that visual splendor was accomplished was by replacing anything that would have been plastic with natural materials: metals, cloth, wicker, ceramics …

Try to think of one beautiful thing made of plastic. It is hard to do and that should be a clue that it is not really a substance we want to invite into our lives.

• I wish our area had that too, but each of the two big grocery stores sells reusable shopping bags. I like the quilted ones you use, and I don’t even have to see them to know they are beautiful in design, thought and in creation. I use nylon bags that our local independent nursery sells. They are really so pretty, I cannot imagine everyone not wanting them. I gift them out too. They are a bit expensive for a bag, but again the reuse makes up for the $10 cost.

I have to agree with you, I am hard pressed to think of beautiful plastic items, but somethings are in their form, not necessarily the material of which they are made. You have a point on ephemeral too. It is why we relish the seasons. They come and go and return all fresh and new. Even buildings, built forever, crumble in time and create a beauty in their demise, affectionately called ruins. Do you know many buildings built today have been built to only last 25 years? Can you imagine that thinking way back when. The builders would have been crucified. I too read of set/movie design being cognizant of using natural materials. The appearance of natural materials is hard wired into us to have that appreciation. The appreciation extends to that created by hand also using natural materials, like you mentioned ceramics. Beauty has such a wide scope of what it is. The notion of “doing things well can be beautiful” is inherent in things we create. https://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2012/10/28/what-is-beauty/ This frame of reference allows for plastic items to be beautiful as well.

Your comment really made me think. I love comments like that!

11. Thanks for doing your part to raise people’s awareness. And it’s good to change our personal behavior, but to have a big impact we have to do things as a society and world-wide, and that means forcing national and international bodies to take action.

12. Such a good thing to share this and get everyone to care enough to insist on change. How terrible.

13. nicole says:

Thank you Donna for raising awareness. What people don’t always connect is that we are just like those dying animals…the pollution is making us sick too. This was so moving…Thank you for sharing this. I will be passing it on. Nicole

14. Pingback: Gardens Eye View » Blog Archive » Those Wonderful June Blooms

15. catmint says:

the graphic truth hurts – but I appreciate your bringing this to our attention. Thanks, Donna.

16. Brian Comeau says:

I saw this preview a few months ago… heart-wrenching isn’t it?
    I’m not sure if you would be able to find it near you but another photo documentary that you might find informative, if you haven’t seen it already, is one called Manufactured Landscapes by Edward Burtynsky (He is a Canadian). It’s the story of mass production and planned obsolescence. Some very dramatic images and a reality check for all of us. He is also been on TED if you would like to look there too.

17. Reblogged this on Living and Lovin and commented:
    So sad and sickening had to re-blog!

18. So sad and I also re-blogged. I remember the barges off the coast of NYC full of garbage none of us wanted to deal with. There is so much lead and trash from our own ships Navy, etc being dumped into our beautiful oceans and so many deaths because of stupidity and carelessness 😦

19. Many unsuspecting creatures, including the dwindling population of Hawaiian Monk seals, are getting tangled up in junk that people have tossed into the water or onto the land, without thinking. Too many people don’t think (or care) about where their trash might end up.
    Videos like this will cause all people of good conscience……to stop and THINK about the effect of their actions on all others.

• I believe it is an “out of sight, out of mind ” mentality, unfortunately. It is hard not to care, but people look at it and say, not cutting up plastic pop ring holders for instance, as “it will never happen to me” scenario. Like one person doing what is right is that, just one person and it does not matter in the greater scheme of things. But the point being, is that it REALLY does matter. I am sickened to see what we do that causes wildlife harm. This video made me really cringe with disgust, but like you mentioned, it is happening to such a wide scope of creatures and many will never know the pain and death of many animals not reported. I think people would not be aware of the albatross travesty either if not for people like this photographer.

20. Les says:

The current big stink here is over balloon releases and how endangered sea turtles often mistake deflated balloons as food, which often leads to a long agonizing death. A woman in the paper was incensed over “the height of environmental activism” in that anyone would want to take away the simple pleasure of children letting balloons fly up to the sky. She was not about to let anyone ruin her grandchildren’s birthdays.

I would love to suggest she have her next family birthday celebration at the local stranding center while a sea turtle necropsy is being performed.

• Thank you for adding in your comment. There is so much we have in our lives for fun, pleasure and convenience that we could do without for the sake of the other beings we share this planet.

21. Bom says:

I’m glad to say that the cities I live in, as well as a neighboring city, there has been a ban on plastic bags and styrofoam for the past couple of years. All commercial establishments are not allowed use them and are required to use only biodegradable packaging materials. We residents are encouraged to use cloth or straw bags when shopping. Our cars always have shopping bags in the trunks, ready to be whipped out as needed. Not enough to make a major impact yet, but it is a good start, I think.

• You are fortunate. It is not a mandate here, yet it should be. I do see more and more people at the market forgoing the plastic bags though. A good sign for conservation and care to the environment.

• Bom says:

I’m surprised that it hasn’t been mandated in the US yet. The industry must have good lobbyists. Over here, there was a move last year to require the city government employees and restaurants / canteens in and around the government offices to use reusable containers and glasses when purchasing food to go. I’m not sure what happened. We had local elections so that was the focus for the first part of this year. We are keeping fingers crossed that the cities continue to be environment friendly even with mayoral changes.

22. Emily Heath says:

It’s so sad. It makes me angry that so much packaging is plastic based, it’s really hard to avoid. Some of it can be recycled but not all. Thanks for sharing the video.