Around the Garden – Rain at Last

MapleRain

Singing in the rain…

BackYard6-5-13-1It flattens the peonies, but let it rain…

WetPeonies

IrisBreard

Some plants really capture the joy of rain….

SalviaIrisLush and verdant…

Salvia

FrontGarden6-11-3-13

Light and unstructured – the feel of a meadow out front, bold color and structured – a lot in a small space out back.

BackyardGarden6-5-13

Fresh and new…

FemaleGrackle-2

Hoping for dry feed… A grackle post is coming up too.

petalDrop

Petal drop. A-OK with me.

peonyPartnering

The sun pops out and quickly dries the refreshed blooms. The doubles droop and the singles (Krinkled White) bounce back.

CardinalJune9

raindrops6-10A little garden in every raindrop. What is swimming in each?

RainDrops

Tiny forest of refreshment.

And red, loads of red…

Southern Living Nandina Obsession β„’, Mahonia, Soft Caress

Southern Living Nandina Obsession β„’, Mahonia, Soft Caress

Coleus

PottedPlants

maleCardinal

Finch-2

Finch

Plants are not all that is red in the garden.

Royal Gem Crabapple

Royal Gem Crabapple

MapleLeafRain

Next, garden photos from varied angles. The importance of having a multi-viewed garden. Lots of full garden photos… then the Lewiston GardenFest announcement, followed by a few bird posts as I will be traveling. Off in a few directions. While away, I will have some gardens I visited in Pennsylvania. Always something here at GWGT.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Around the Garden – Rain at Last

1. Beautiful photos of a very lovely garden, and yes I really enjoy the affect rain creates in the garden. When you incorporate contrast into the design, I listened, the rain really seems to give that more impact.

• The cloudy sky helps to saturate colors that would be lost in the glare of bright sun. Plus, I think many plants prefer the cloudy skies the way the weather is getting hotter and hotter. I have some sun lovers in pots in deep shade and they are very perky. The get a little sun in the morning and about 15 minutes in the afternoon. They rest of the time, are in the shade. The image of the Gerberas.

2. Mike says:

Reblogged this on This Got My Attention and commented:
    Beautiful!

3. How refreshing. Looks great after the hot windy day here.

4. Jennifer says:

You are becoming more and more skilled with the camera Donna. The bee shots in the last post and the water droplets in this post are simply amazing. The white peonies are my favourites. I have wanted a single white peony for some time.

• Well, after thirty years, I have been putting in more effort, but not in this or last post though. I save my better shots in some of my photography tips posts. Both posts this week was a fast shoot just to touch on selling the camera and posting garden stuff for those readers liking to see the garden once and a while.

5. So glad you got some rain. Lack of rain has not been a problem around here. Your photos are outstanding, as usual. That white peony is luscious, I prefer the single flowers as you know. I have red and pink singles but not white.

• I know, in many places it has been raining long and hard. The storms were missing us, but finally we got a few good down pours this past two weeks, and more likely to come. I still fear it will be like two years ago, rain then nothing for more than a month of temps in high eighties and nineties. That is not what was our weather in previous years. We usually get mild weather when everyone else south of us cooks.

6. janechese says:

So lush! I love your macro shots, especially of the water-sodden iris.Enjoy the birds, too. Indeed, this is refreshing after a rather blah day. Gave me a lift, thanks.

7. Overwhelming shots, Donna! “Crystal clear” and exquisite!
    πŸ™‚

8. Your garden looks beautiful in the rain. Speaking of which where could I find rainfall amounts for my area? It has rained so much here all spring but especially in the last five days that records must be being broken.

9. We have had so much rain I am thing there is money in MUSHROOMS πŸ™‚

10. Laurrie says:

I see lots of “after the rain” photos on blogs, but yours really capture the sensuous refreshment of it. Single blooms fare so much better than big heavy doubles, and I completely love that ‘Krinkled White’ peony — I might have to put that one in next to my scarlet red single ‘Blaze’.

The joy of rain — you show it so beautifully. (But now it can stop. We’ve had too much at this point in the northeast)

• I like Krinkled White because it lasts longer and stays fresh longer. Seems many like it. I thank you for saying the shots “capture a sensuous refreshment”. I felt the wet plants looked especially good since the rain did not just run off of them.

11. We too had some heavy and unusual rain this spring, but now it looks like summer is taking its place and everything will become yellow, golden, toasted for some months. I like your photoso celebrating rain!

12. The flowers look so pretty after the rain.

13. Mike says:

What equipment are you using to capture these terrific images?

14. arunswords says:

Picture perfect ! Really good pictures of nature at its best ! fine snaps buddy πŸ™‚

15. Myaz_Nuggetz says:

Reblogged this on Myaz_Nuggetz.

16. Patty says:

We probably had the same rain as you -rained all night long. Now everything looks so lush. I can’t believe your peonies are already open!

17. Beautiful Captures – love the garden after a good soak:) Have a Great Day!

18. curbstonevalley says:

Oh my goodness, if it would rain here, I’d be singing right along with you. I’ve almost forgotten what rain looks like, and I love the aroma of a garden after a spring rain.

19. Pat says:

Lovely photos from your rain-refreshed garden.

20. Oh good, your plants are happy! The Irises and Maples with raindrops are so pretty! Hurrah!

21. Christy says:

Hi Donna…you have so much beauty packed into your garden! What is the name of the Geranium with pink flowers? I really like it and would like to buy one to go along with my “Johnson’s Blue”.

22. cindy knoke says:

I have been looking at your posts. Many are closed for comments due to age. But they are all STUNNING! Bravo! I am so impressed~

I’m glad your area got some much needed rain! We’ve had a very rainy week, too, and I know we needed it. Have a lovely time traveling!

24. Donna I am so glad it is raining for you and your garden and oh the birds!! Everyone is reveling in the rain through your photos.

25. Such stunning images in this collection. I’m so impressed about the beauty around you.