Fling Flicks

DudanGarden

Dudan Garden

The San Francisco Garden Bloggers Fling was a wonderful event that was perfectly planned and executed. Many thanks go to the organizers and sponsors of this fine event. I really enjoyed this Fling but found myself not taking many photos.

DudanGarden-2

Dudan Garden

I will most likely feature some of these gardens at a later time, but wanted to let readers know where I have been the last week. San Francisco has many beautiful areas of captivating scenery and I wish I could have spent more time visiting the area. You can see the grand vista from the Dudan Garden in Walnut Creek. This garden really played well to the borrowed view beyond.

FiloliGarden

Filoli Gardens

The gardens we visited were top quality and well worth the time spent. It was hot in San Francisco and the surrounding area, going up to 108° on Tuesday. The pool of Filoli looks very inviting in this heat. Filoli located in Woodside, is designated as The National Trust for Historic Preservation and a California State Historic Landmark site.

Filoli

Filoli Gardens

Filoli had many designed spaces, both formal and those less so. It was especially warm at this garden, but we got a reprieve as we toured the grand home.

FiloliMeadow

Filoli Gardens

Each day was exceedingly bright.  Add that to the heat, and taking photos lost its appeal. I am not accustomed to such bright light, but made do.

RuthBancroftGarden

Ruth Bancroft Gardens

The Ruth Bancroft Garden, also of Walnut Creek, had interest around every turn. It was a very theatrical garden with many interesting and whimsical sculptures. The plantings are sun-loving Yucca, Agaves, cactus, grasses, and flowering perennials, all Mediterranean climate plants. It was very hot in this garden as well, and the plants just relished the heat.

RuthBancroftGarden-2

Ruth Bancroft Gardens

KeeylaMeadows

Keeyla Meadows

Keeyla Meadows in Albany was a kaleidoscope of color and filled with creativity of art. This garden seemed similar to the way Buffalo gardens are designed. It has an abundance of art and plants are densely planted. The house is colorfully painted and paths wind around the small garden.

KeeylaMeadows-2

Keeyla Meadows

You will see many Buffalo Gardens coming up on GWGT in the coming weeks. Going on now is the National Garden Festival and I plan to take you around to many gardens. You will see color, and flowers, flowers, flowers. Some gardens have funky art and are a delight to visit.

RebeccaSweetGarden

Rebecca Sweet

Rebecca’s garden in Los Altos was a serene space and beautifully designed. It was the most lush of the gardens, and very well-tended. There are gardens such as this throughout the Buffalo area also.

Testa-VoughtGarden

Testa-Vought Garden

This garden in Palo Alto was also very well designed with interesting hardscape. The pool was the focal point and was a place to cool the tired feet.

NicholsGarden-2

Nichols Garden

The Nichols Garden in Oakland was a series of artful vignettes and dense plantings. I may bring you back here.

NicholsGarden

Nichols Garden

MattGill

Matt Gil Sculpture Garden

Matt Gils garden was filled with his sculptures but had a softer side as well.

SanFranciscoBotanicalGarden

San Francisco Botanical Garden

The Botanical Garden was a great place to take the family. Everyone from the Fling should have made this trip just to see the gardens.

We were here for a session with Saxon Holt, professional garden photographer, Saxon Holt/PhotoBotanic. I admire his work and think he is the best teacher of his craft. He has an eBook coming out that will surely be one you should look into getting.  These wide-angle landscape shots are his specialty and also one of the most difficult to do well. The book will be very helpful.

SunsetHeadquarters

Sunset Headquarters

The publishing house in Menlo Park has a beautifully designed landscape. The expanse of grasses seemed to make the temperature a bit lower. There is something visceral about a field of grasses.

Sunset

Sunset Headquarters

They had cool plants.

SunsetHeadquarters-2

Sunset Headquarters

ConservatoryOfFlowers

Conservancy of Flowers

The Conservancy had FLOWERS, but also had a butterfly house, my favorite part of the gardens. We had a gourmet dinner here among many other fun things. I did not photograph the Wave Garden or Annie’s Annuals and Perennials, but very much loved both places. I also did not show Organic Mechanics in this post, but it was another, serene inviting space.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Bloggers Fling and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Fling Flicks

1. yourothermotherhere says:

I enjoyed to pictures. I could almost feel the heat when I looked at them!

2. Wow! What a great fling! I am making every effort to be there next year (still in Charleston???). I am so disappointed to have missed a photo session with Saxon Holt….very cool! Welcome home and I am looking forward to more from the fling. I agree taking photos in high heat/light is not fun.

3. Happiness and large doses!!! 🙂

4. mouthwatering !!!

5. thequeenofseaford says:

Even with the bright sunlight you captured some great vistas. I loved Dudan’s garden…and all of them for various reasons. Some I felt as though we were on a different planet…especially at Ruth Bancroft. It is so different from what we have in the east.

6. Great pictures. This was a trip down memory lane for me with all the California plants that I used to have in my garden when I lived out there. The lantanas, agapanthas, various succulents, kangaroo paws, my goodness. Thanks for the flood of gardening memories.

7. Denise says:

I missed the Sunday gardens, so thank you for beautifully capturing those.

8. ryan says:

Though you may not have taken many photos, these do a really good job of showing the gardens, most of which I’ve visited. It’s a good representation of Bay Area gardens in the summer months. Too bad the weather was record heat, but it sounds like a great time.

9. Eye candy for the gardener…This was really wonderful. I have gone back three times now to take in all colors, and the detail. I am really looking to your follow-up photos. I appreciated your eBook suggestion on photography, that is my next area to explore.

10. You may say you didn’t take many pictures, but I suspect you have many great shots from each garden we visited. I look forward to seeing more of them. That second photo from the Dudan garden really captures the feel of that location.

11. Mac says:

Gorgeous gardens and gorgeous photos. I struggle to get adequate pics when the light is bright, you succeeded wonderfully.

12. Gail says:

They all look wonderful and seem to offer a tremendous amount of inspiration~plus a fine introduction to plants we who garden way east of them never see. gail ps sorry to have missed a chance to visit with you. I surely missed being at Fling this year.

13. Patty says:

Looks like you saw some really interesting gardens. Hot and dry to lush and moist. I heard about Death Valley’s record high of 43C at 8 AM last week. Yikes.

14. Beautiful! I had my very first trip to San Francisco 2 years ago and can’t wait to go back.
    What a beautiful part of our country.
    Adding this post to my “future trip reference”.

15. Brian Comeau says:

Looks like a beautiful spot… No shortage of subjects.

16. Once again you have been our “eyes” (and engaging “voice-over”) for wonderful gardens I will most likely never see in person.

17. Fergiemoto says:

Lots of beauty here! Very nice!

18. Glad you enjoyed the Fling….everyone seems to have loved it and I am looking forward to your pictures and thoughts a bit more…and I especially am looking forward to the local gardens!

19. Pingback: Annie’s Annuals: The Ultimate Plant Road Trip | The Garden Diaries

20. Bill S says:

Hi Donna, what a change to see your view of San Francisco, whilst the Bridge and the hills and the trams are all very nice, I much prefer your views.

21. Such stunning images Donna!

22. Donna, yes it is very challenging to photograph gardens in Mediterranean climates in excessive day light, but you have done a very good job with pics in this post. Now that I am settling in the new home I will come back to posting regularly with images of gardens in the island, and will explain my adventures with sorting the bright light.

23. b-a-g says:

Looks like a fantastic trip – these gardens are incredible to me. I especially like the design of the publishing house with its shallow roof and big chimney, blends in beautifully with the landscape.

24. Wonderful overview, hope you share more of the Fling.

25. Great fling photos. I think the bright sun and blue sky really make the scenery special. You worked well with it.

26. Pingback: Garden Vignettes – Sweet Gardening | The Garden Diaries

27. Skeeter says:

108 degrees! Wow, I would have been miserable in that heat. I shall remember to keep my visit to SF during a cooler time of year. Your photos are stunning as always even that the bright sun shining above…