Snyder Garden, a Little Bit Rock, a Little Bit Country

Arbor-2

Here we are back at the garden I featured in the last post. It is a beautiful example of gardens in our area, tightly packing in perennials and minimizing turf grass.  The front entry is very welcoming with the addition of the nicely appointed arbor. Plants envelop the visitor as they enter.

RockGardenFront

Looking down the front sidewalk and greeting the passerby, deep rock gardens span the front of the property, most with drought tolerant plants.

WallBack

In the backyard, the property slopes in areas and some of the flower gardens are retained with a stone wall. Some art and found objects decorate parts of garden beds, like the old bike seen above and at the end of the post.

DrivewayDesign

The side driveway is bordered by a small stone wall on one side and stone curbing on the other. The right side is lined with cottage plantings.

RockGardn-3

Another view of the rear of the property, above and below.

RockGardenBack

Above is the newest bed done in a formal style with boxwood and hydrangea. Oddly this looks a bit foreign to the rest of the plantings, but does need time to fill in.

RockGarden-2

This is looking both directions in the front along the sidewalk. Colorful Sedum is on both sides, carefully placed between rocks. Grasses add the vertical, evergreen boxwood adds the winter structure and interest.

RockGarden-4

I hope you enjoyed this property. I would love to get back there at a better time of day for photographs. It is such an interesting garden with great views everywhere one looks. Notice too how the rocks vary from very large to stream-like washed pebble. You can see how the rock becomes a mulch to the plantings and keeps weeds in check.

FrontEntry

Next post is one in Lancaster, NY. You will love the creative vignettes throughout the gardens of this family of artists.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walks and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Snyder Garden, a Little Bit Rock, a Little Bit Country

1. Patrick says:

Hey Donna,
    Really enjoyed this garden. If I had the cash, I’d pay someone to recreate that arbor. Best one I’ve seen in a while, my dear oh so prolific friend..

2. Like any sensible/insane gardener I’d love more plants, but… I’d also love more stones in my garden. Large ones, preferably. (NOT the small ones I find when I’m digging the borders!) I’ve never really been a great fan of rockeries, but I do love large stones and boulders placed among the planting. So far, though, I’m limited to the stones I’ve picked up on various walks, from the little piece of slate I picked up in the English Lake District to the large piece of quartz I picked up on a fell in Greenland and carried 20 miles back to where I was staying – and then an un-defined number of miles back to Denmark by plane in my suitcase. I swear, I’ve travelled with stones and rocks to an extent where it has occasionally worn out my suitcases…

Also, I second Patrick; if I had the cash I’d love an arbour like that as the entrance to my garden. (Though admittedly in my neck of the woods, spiders would be likely to cover that entrance with cobwebs, making it perhaps less romantic to pass through.)

3. CC says:

The textures including the rocks is what I am striving for….is that lavender in the first picture?
    Thanks!

4. catmint says:

Hi Donna, good to see this garden. One of the things I appreciated was seeing the part of the garden that wasn’t yet full and perfect. That was encouraging – too often we only see perfection – a bit like only seeing airbrushed celebrities with no wrinkles.

5. barbie says:

Nice to see stones used effectively in the garden. I love the old bike – you know me, love the features. Thanks for sharing.

6. Beautifully captured I love all the rocky areas planted.

7. choppy123 says:

Loved the bike, it looked right at home there 🙂

8. ginnytalbert says:

So nice to see more of this garden! Thank you for sharing such beauty and inspiration. Makes me want to run right out and buy a bunch of rocks, heh heh.

I love the border along the driveway! What a beautiful garden. It’s interesting that they’ve managed to have such an impact in only 5-6 years (this is the one that began in 2007, right?).

10. Great idea using rocks in the garden. Another beautiful walk.
    Thank you, Donna.
    🙂

11. The rockery and arbour are just gorgeous, Im trying to start a rockery and would love it to look just a little bit like that one day. Another great post thanks for sharing this with us!

12. I love that bed along the sidewalk and the arbor at the entrance to the front walk. Clever title!

13. Stonework adds so much to a garden. Thanks for sharing this one.

14. Skeeter says:

I am becoming more and more impressed with the way in which gardeners are using rocks/stones. This garden makes the stones seem so natural in placement and makes me want to rush out and collect more! A great job of bringing slopes, pool and flowers all together….

15. igardendaily says:

Lovely garden! I so love the entry and that arbor! Seems like a one of a kind!

16. homeyardyou says:

I liked your post very much. Anything to do with replacing turf grass is a hit with me. Thanks!….John

17. janechese says:

I love the shape , colour, and texture of rocks and would definitely include some in a garden. i especially like the one beside the wooden arch.

18. You weren’t kidding there are a lot of rocks….I love the various rock gardens and uses of rock especially that front garden.

19. Fergiemoto says:

I indeed enjoyed it! Beautiful walk and images!

20. sharonftaylor says:

a garden doesn’t seem like a garden to me, without rocks! thanks for sharing.