Squirrels Prefer Their Bread Toasted

SunflowerAugust-1

Now for a few squirrel antics.

As expected, the resident squirrels are always up to something, and of course it is always something new. Squirrels must be easily bored and find tormenting the homeowner a real fun thing to do. It is a battle of wits sometimes, homeowner against squirrel. Other times it is squirrel on squirrel like in Shock and Awe – Squirrel Style. Darn hilarious.

SunflowerAug-2

We have had a pretty good relationship through the years and I have always mentioned my well-behaved squirrels, at least until this past week.

I grow sunflowers in my garden, both the ones that come from purchased seed packets, and those my cockatoo does not eat. It is a surprise to see what grows from his birdseed. I found the pot luck sunflowers to be hardier here, growing to a nice size with very sturdy stems. But maybe that is the problem, the stems allow the squirrels to scale them like Jack and the Beanstalk.

Yum

I started noticing the flower heads missing. They were in their flowering prime, so no seeds had yet to develop. I found it odd a foot wide flower head gone.

Uh-Oh

Guess which one they took too? The one from this post.

Actually, they took every one of them, but the one in the post above made me the most peeved.

CavalrysComing

Yes it was the squirrels. Apparently the flowers are tasty, yellow ray floret, after yellow ray floret, all the way into the tiny flowers that make up the sunflower. Nibble, nibble, nibble.

SunflowerHeadless

So what does this have to do with toast? Well the little buggers prefer their bread toasted.

Squirrels-Eat-Toast-3

Yes, they shun the plain white bread unless it is toasted. Let the birds have plain old bread. Just like an old typewriter, the squirrel motored back and forth at secretary speed. Look at him go… let’s get serious now.

squirrels-eat-toast-2

I tossed both fresh bread and toast out into the garden, and one squirrel battled all the other squirrels to amass a pile of toast. He sat there guarding and eating at the same time. They are a greedy bunch. If they don’t watch out, I just might get one of these to guard the back yard.

Wait4It

Hyena

Oops, here comes a squirrel now.

Hyena=2

Don’t miss my nomination to The Best Garden Blog Graphics, Photography, and Presentation at the Garden Bloggers Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.  Click on the badge below to vote for Garden Walk Garden Talk before September 8th. It will be much appreciated.

olO0y

This entry was posted in garden, Squirrels and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Squirrels Prefer Their Bread Toasted

1. connie661 says:

The squirrels are very cute– when they’re eating YOUR sunflowers. Did you take the last photo at the Buffalo Zoo?

• Yes, they are the famous Buffalo Zoo Hyenas. The hyenas at the zoo have the nicest exhibit too. It is centralized, large and has playthings to keep them occupied. It does not stop them from eying up the babies in strollers though. That makes me nervous, even though the babies are in no danger. It is just the hungry look on the hyenas that gives me the chills.

2. Hilarious! I’ve never heard of squirrels eating fresh flowers before. Great captures of those rascals too! 🙂

• I have seen them swipe flowers before, but it never dawned on me they took the sunflowers. Each day more and more of them turned up missing. They left the whole stalk too, and just made off with the head. Some of the stalks put out a side flower. It was much smaller and never as pretty, so I left the headless stalks in the garden.

3. Hope says:

Happy to vote for you! Have a great day! 🙂

4. Of Gardens says:

Ha, ha! Great shot of the squirrel eating the toast!! Watch out for the squirrels when you put your pumpkins outside. Squirrels LOVE to gnaw through a pumpkin to get to the seeds.

• I know they like pumpkins. They like Indian corn too. I bring home cow corn for them. It keeps them away from newly planted bulbs. They would sit in the garden, all with a 3″ long cut corn cob, chewing back and forth, row by row.

5. Pat says:

We have spoiled our squirrels by giving them peanuts. Now they almost jump into our laps to get them.. They’re adorable though.

6. Phil Lanoue says:

That is hysterical! Toasted bread?! And I don’t doubt that a bit that they would have preferences.
    Great post!
    Yesterday evening we had a raccoon raiding our bird feeder and when I went out to chase him he just stared at me and wouldn’t leave.

• It floored me. I always throw the heel of the bread out for the birds since my husband will not eat it in his sandwiches. The other day, making BLTs, the toaster went crazy and burnt the toast, so out it went too. Boy did that send out the squirrel alert. I found out that birds go wild for rye bread. Sent that out yesterday and every bird in the yards had a small piece of rye bread in its beak. Fussy, fussy critters.

7. Eulalia says:

Very beautiful pictures….. 🙂

Very beautiful squirrels… Loving Sunflowers!

Where is the pic of the hyena?

• Hi Eulalia. The hyenas are at the Buffalo Zoo. I always try to make the shot to look as natural as possible, keeping out the man made structures. I did a post on that too, but I always fess up that I was not on safari. You need a working link so I can come visit your blog.

8. Merilee says:

This made me laugh. Especially that one photo of the squirrel holding the flower and looking directly at you as if to say, “Who……Me!?!” Busted!!! Your blog is a bright spot in my day 🙂

9. Made me laugh, fab photos of the little rascal. Love the look on his face; I’ve never seen them steal flower heads before and great to know about the toast. Ill have to try it with mine.x

10. They do? They really prefer their bread toasted?!!!! 😆
    Errrr, that last picture “squirrel” looks a bit ominous!
    🙂 Happy Wednesday, my dear Donna!!

11. ChrisC says:

I never thought of the toasted bread thing.Usually,I jut put out peanuts to keep the squirrels away.It works unless the raccoons or armadillos get there first.Gonna try the rye bread thing.

• Squirrels here get a lot of peanuts. Shelled and some still in the shell. I don’t have to worry about raccoons here, but my neighbor did say she saw one. The birds and squirrels never leave anything leftover at night, so a raccoon would be out of luck. I was really amazed at the rye bread. The birds went wild over it and it disappeared immediately. They just must like a little variety in their diet. I know my cockatoo does. He eats anything, but tires of foods if he gets it too often.

This is hilarious! If the squirrels have enough toasted bread to eat, do they leave your flowers alone? I wouldn’t do anything special for our squirrels unless it meant they’d stay away from our bird feeders. My worry is that putting out the toasted bread would just attract more of them!

13. Just voted! Good luck! 🙂
    Kenley

Sorry about your sunflowers. I ran out yelling at a squirrel who was sitting in the top of one of my tomato plants yesterday. I scared him off before he could have a tomato for his breakfast.

15. b-a-g says:

Poor Donna, having to give up your breakfast to save the sunflowers.

(I voted but it was not clear if the vote had been registered.)

16. We that is quite the deal about the squirrels eating your sunflowers. Pretty funny about the toast too. I must try that sometime. Here our problem is raccoons stealing the cat food and the peanuts I leave out for the squirrels.

17. Stephi says:

When my twin boys were younger, one of the beautiful sunflower heads in my parents garden went missing. Cleanly cut off. To this day they deny having anything to do with it. Now we finally might have a plausible alternative explanation. Maybe! Love the photos, those squirrels really are characters.

18. At least they are eating the sunflowers. They would clip off the tulips and other flowers and just leave them in my old garden where there were dozens the size of cats. I think you are right as they just want to torture us for fun.

19. Fergiemoto says:

I learned something new! I never thought of giving them toast. They are amusing little buggers, but they have not yet taken our sunflower head. I guess we’ll see.
    Great post!

20. Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen my squirrels try to eat the whole sunflower. You have some great photos here. Enjoyed the post. Blessings, Natalie