Pop the Tops in the Garden – Squirrel’s Idea

GardenFlowers-2

What do you have to pop the tops? The squirrels gave me an idea this summer. I have been noticing beheaded flowers all over the garden. It started with daylilies I planted new this year for our garden club sale next year. Blooming one day and beheaded the next. Yes, beheaded, and the heads nowhere to be found. I never thought squirrels the culprits until I caught one beheading the sunflowers. Other flowers were missing too, so they must have been very busy.

GardenFlowers

So the idea they gave me was to take shears and behead them myself to show what is blooming in the garden today.

I laid them out in the creeping phlox and snapped a photo. It gives a sense of the colors blooming at this time of year in addition to the flowers themselves. It is a concise record of some of what is blooming. OK squirrels, you got yourself a buffet, bon appetit! Oh, yummy Delphinium…just kidding squirrels, I know you leave that alone.

Here is a few more shots of plants of the garden, some taken in the rain. Finally some needed rain… enjoy the flowers and leaves of Fall.

Althaea

Long blooming… Althaea.

Viburnum

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum…. first fall color of the season.

Lavender

Lavender… nice texture and color all growing season.

Foxglove

Foxglove blooms in Spring, but always makes a return in Fall.

Front10-5-13

Still loads of bloom in October with temperatures in the 70’s. Still with some bloom: Iceberg Roses, Calamintha, Scabiosa, White Sage, Veronica, Verbena, petunia, Shasta Daisy, Daylily, and Hydrangea with new bloom. Still in bud: Mums and Iceberg Roses.

Viburnum-2

So pretty a shrub between bloom, berries and leaf color.

Hosta

Hosta, a Buffalo staple…

MapleTree

Acer palmatum ‘Bloodgood’

More rain, please.

Bee-on-aster

Aster ‘Jim Crockett’

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Pop the Tops in the Garden – Squirrel’s Idea

1. pepaulmier says:

Beautiful bouquet, I love flowers…

2. Swati Singh says:

Nice photographs πŸ˜€
    Have a great day

3. I still can’t get over your squirrels beheading the blooms! What a riot! I like your idea of having a composite of blooms from the garden. Love the shot of the hosta leaves too!

4. I’ve been blaming the many bunnies in our neighborhood for beheading my mums – I wonder if it’s been the squirrels all this time!!

5. Gorgeous!

We have so many fury little grey and red objects busy in the yard I was shocked to see them leap for a drink out of the birdbath πŸ™‚

6. What a lovely bouquet—I guess I should say banquet—of flowers. I am surprised there is no yellow this time of year but probably there was no room with all the other beautiful blooms.

7. So pretty! I’m surprised to see so much pink at this time of year. But perhaps I don’t see much pink and red in my garden because I don’t plant that color.

8. lucindalines says:

Gorgeous flowers. I never knew that about squirrels. I suppose the cats keep them out of my gardens. We did have lots of trouble with the apples, though. They have taken two bits out of almost half the harvest. I wouldn’t mind sharing, if they would just eat the whole apple instead of being so wasteful.

9. Why do they do that? Is it pure rodent malice? Or do they think they are helping us achieve a more compact, bushy habit? What drives me insane is how they bite off the buds of the crocuses.

10. Beheaded as they are, they look pretty happy! Vibrant and beautiful, a color burst of lilacs and pinks [with a few yellow dots]. Amazing autumn life! πŸ™‚

11. dianaed2013 says:

Just love the flowers and the colour range

12. Phil Lanoue says:

An explosion of color in those first two photos, beautiful!

13. Very nice post. I have a couple of squirrels I’d like to behead on my end too if they don’t stop digging holes in my yard and flower beds. Thanks for the lovely photos. Have a great day.
    Blessings, Natalie

14. Pat says:

Beautiful blooms!

15. bittster says:

That is quite the banquet, so much color for this time of year. I would have to use it as my computer’s wallpaper!

16. janechese says:

.One winter my friend put out the tops of the sunflowers, with seeds, on a platform outside for the birds to feast on.. They disappeared . It was the squirrel, who broke off the tops and took the flower and seeds with it. Recently, I found the squirrels twisting off the cones from the spruce after looking to see the cause of them dropping onto the ground. I will post a photo of one squirrel today, it is rather funny.

Who knew that squirrels could inspire anything so beautiful! As you may remember from previous comments, squirrels are no friends of mine. πŸ˜‰

18. I can’t get over how warm it still is there…in the 60s here and will head to the 40s next weekend. Love how you beheaded the flowers…a gorgeous display. The squirrels at the old house beheaded many flowers there.

19. Look beautiful flowers and petals……

20. Love the “group photo.” Can’t believe you still have such a bounty of blooms in Oct.