I agree, “God Made a Farmer”

EdenFarm

Slow it Down Sunday

Serenity-Sunday

Farms give a sense of time long before, a vocation as old as civilization itself. Farming is a type of living much more important to family and community, being an integral connection to land, season and cycle. Farms and crops come in many types, but they all share a love of the land.

BarnEastPA

Seeing red barns dotting the countryside really brings a feeling of comfort and peace, at least for those observing. Farms are a place where a lot of work is going on from sunup to sunset.

Horses

And I know first hand too… I was on a horse farm the whole time living in Pennsylvania, and up here, work with a tree farm. Farms are work, work, work.

BarnWNY

Even though family farms are disappearing, it still is a life worth admiring, even envying. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, yet fulfilling. Can you think of a job with more personal reward for such hard work?

FarmPerennials

How about those that take the time to adorn the working barns with flowers, similar to what they plant around the farmhouse? Pretty nice… no?

BarnPA-2

Occasionally, barns are artfully sited as if in a pastoral postcard. It takes care in planning and knowing the land to make such a beautiful sight.

Fruit

Farmers are a jack of many trades, but growing produce is one of their specialties.

EdenFarm-2

Sadly, we are witnessing the disappearance of farmland and this way of life. Barns in disrepair are becoming a more common sight.

BarnNC

TheFarm

Nothing like fresh grown…

Vegetables

Some of the farms you are seeing in this post are from Amish country. It is a place where farming life is still celebrated, viable and secure.

BarnLancaster

California is not the only place with happy cows!

Cows

BarnWNY-2

Sometimes it is the fields blowing in the breeze that draw one in.

BarnDBH-2

Chickens

Other times, it is the animals that make the place.

BarnHamburgNY

Some farms even raise flowers for sale… with fields after field of beautiful color. See next post on Wednesday Walks this farm in bloom.

People who run farms are really special. My favorite commercial from Ram Trucks, featuring Paul Harvey…. says it all so beautifully. I remember hearing Paul Harvey on the kitchen radio as a kid. I knew then his thought was deep and meaningful. A mainstay of American living rooms 50 years ago, his words resonate even stronger today.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to I agree, “God Made a Farmer”

1. lucindalines says:

Amazing to read this post today. On Friday we were at a funeral where the youngest son read that poem with a few little adjustments to fit his father who had passed on. Yes, family farms are fading, but here in the Dakotas we are fighting like crazy to keep them viable.

• What wonderful words to say about one passing. I see so many farms gone, but I think there are small ones popping up, at least it seems that way here. Many leaving corporate and professional jobs look to farming as a way to connect back to nature. I feel the same way, but am beyond doing the hard work for health reasons. I get my fill of animals and nature in public preserves now.

2. Great post! I love farmers and their barns too. Especially like that second one with all the iris pseudacorus growing along the water’s edge. That the iris the French fleur-de-lys is fashioned after. I also loved the barns with the flowers around them, and now I can’t wait for your next about the flower farm. Blessings, Natalie

What a beautiful post! I enjoyed the Paul Harvey piece. I would add: God wanted someone to ease the weary soul, to reach out a hand, to soften the burden, to plant a flower border around the barn, so God made a farmer’s wife!

4. rlogan1155 says:

Very moving.
    Ruth from At Home on the Road

5. I enjoyed this post. I have also spent some time working on farms (mostly as a teenager), and I hat to think that so many small farms have disappeared. I try to be optimistic that new approaches like CSAs will provide a new way for small farms to become viable.

• No CSA’s up here to my knowledge, but numerous farms selling directly. A few have stores and I shop there in season. But, I do grow some vegetables, and that limits what I purchase. This year was carrots, lettuce, endive, kale, tomatoes and peppers. It was the least I planted in years too since all were pot grown (fisrt time not in the ground). You and others commenting here that followed GWGT before this time may like the idea in this post. I did a post on a wonderful organization and it would be of interest to follow the link in my post to get to them. The Sustainability Project, Oh so Cool

6. Fantastic post! Love all of the images in this blog post. Everytime we drive up to visit my in laws in PA I find myself longing to stop and take pphotographs of some of the beautiful farms around. I specifically the trip to Lancaster County because there are quite a few nice farms up there.

You can’t but admire farmers because I briefly worked on a farm my senior year of high school. You learn to appreciate how hard a farmer works.

• I am from one county over from Lancaster, PA. I did all my grocery shopping and got my horse supplies at the Amish markets and tack shops there. Nothing is like that up here really. I made a few Amish friends too, although once moved away, keeping in contact was not possible. I always admired their simple way of life and often wished my life was not so hectic and followed a similar path as theirs.

7. A life I’ve dreamed about . . . shame it’s disappearing. Thanks for the lovely post.

8. Spectacular images! No, I wouldn’t want to be a farmer, especially if you have animals. You never get a day off.

Beautiful photos! One of my favorite train rides is the Amtrak between Philadelphia and Harrisburg because of the view. It’s a beautiful part of the country.

10. alesiablogs says:

A way of life on a farm was hard work, but rewarding in many ways. My grandparents had a farm and growing up and going to their home on thanksgiving was always a treat. A cherished memory for sure that is not repeated that much in my kid’s generation.

• Both grandparents had farms in my family. My grandfather had a huge estate on a gentleman’s farm with much farm help. Loved the fruit trees, especially fresh apples. On the other side, they did all the farming themselves, selling fruit and vegetables locally. Many of my relatives owned farms, but most were horse farms. My fondest memories where of riding my horses bareback through the wheat fields, brushing the flower stalks as I went by. Plus the horse loved the tasty wheat and corn as we rode through. Since it was private property, i was allowed a shortcut through the fields. Made sure not to topple corn and wheat riding the tractor paths.

11. Very beautiful photos of farms. I think you are right that small farms are popping up as farmers raise organic produce, unusual plants, and specialty foods like heirlooms for the exploding sales of farmer’s markets. Michael and I consider ourselves farmers because we raise over 50% of what we sell in the ground. We never have a 40 hour work week, other than when we are in Maine, more like 98 hours. It has its rewards but is not sustainable as we grow older.

• Thank you Carolyn. It is the specialty farms that are getting all the publicity. They make the news being different in what they grow and sell. There is a 80 year old farmer here that has been growing heirlooms all his life and has a few words to say on those doing it now. He can’t understand what all the fuss is about.

12. I couldn’t agree with you more, Donna. People have left their villages and farms to move to big cities and farming is dying out. I know exactly how rewarding this kind of very hard work can be! Beautiful post, my dear! πŸ™‚

13. bittster says:

Beautiful images. It’s sad to see farming fading into a more industrial version with metal barns replacing the old faded red buildings. I hope we can save a big chunk of the past….

• I know what you mean. I don’t usually take photos of the prefab metal barns, no character. When I get back to see my cousin in PA, I have to take a photo of a new barn built in the same way the Amish build them. The wood and stone structure is gorgeous, but when I was there last, it was pouring cats and dogs, so no photos.

14. It is so sad to witness the disappearance of farms and farmland. The horses in this posting are breathtakingly beautiful! P. x

• Thank you Pam. The horse in the small image is a NY filly. The two horses in the pasture are thoroughbreds that my cousin rescues and rehabilitates from the track in PA. She does the same thing in St. Lucia on her 4 acre spread. Check out that link I left in a comment here in this post. The horses there are all severely injured, but my cousin brings in a world renown veterinarian to treat them. He also has a home on St. Lucia.

15. Farming should count as the topmost and most important industry anywhere. It’s absolutely basic to the health and economy and security of a nation.

• No doubt. The big corporate farms are proving to be not the savior as originally conceived either. The more I read on GMO’s and heavy pesticide use, it may make a world full of very sick people over time. Just as the small bees react to these nerve agents, as they build up in any organism over time, creatures of all sizes will eventually be in a similar situation of the the bees it would seem.

16. Pat says:

Beautiful post.

17. wow, what terrific photos!! it’s really hard to pick a fve.
    :))

18. so sad to hear about the disappearance of farms…

19. I love this post, just love it Donna. Barns are so wing I wish to photograph, and just haven’t yet. Something to seek out and look forward to. Margie

20. I grew up in N Indiana and was surrounded by farms…love the barns and the land, the animals and the way of the land. Sad so many are disappearing.

21. Fergiemoto says:

It’s sad to see farms disappearing. I grew up on a farm and I am very familiar with farm life and country life.
    Wonderful photos as usual!