Fridays are for the Birds – Carib Grackle

GrackleBathing

I do so many bird posts that I decided Friday is for the Birds. It will be birds I photographed anywhere I traveled, but mostly birds for Feeder Watch Friday. It may be a bird featured, it may be Bird Bits, or it may just be Pretty Bird Friday.  Not sure where this will take me, but at least for a spell, let’s see how it goes.

Fridays-are-for-the-Birds

Last Friday we had Lessons of the Hummingbird – One for the Road (above image), It gave me the idea for a weekly bird post.

I have many bird posts in the hopper that I never got around to posting, so making Fridays are for the Birds should pare them down to size.

Carib Grackles

Our first bird for Feeder Watch Friday will be what I think is the Carib Grackle, Quiscalus lugubris. It is native to a large range in many of the islands of the Lesser Antilles. I photographed these in St. Lucia. They were everywhere, even table side at a restaurant.

Commoin-Grackle-FemaleCommon-Grackle-Male

They really are a common bird like our own Common Grackle above, but don’t look quite as mean looking.

Grackle-in-birdbath

What I found most interesting is there are eight different races of the birds, all different among the islands. How they differ is in size, vocalizations and plumage shade, especially in the browns of the females.

GrackleCall

I was only on one island, so I did not see the plumage variation first hand.

Grackle-Bath

They are gregarious birds that really command a feeder, just like the Common Grackle. Here they are dining on dog food in St. Lucia.

FemaleGrackle-2

Not too picky I guess in food choice.

FemaleGrackle

I am not sure if they are considered a pretty bird, but it is sure pretty where they live.

garden-on-St.-Lucia

OK, they look a little mean. It’s all in the eyes.

GrackleBougainvillea

This entry was posted in Birds, garden and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Fridays are for the Birds – Carib Grackle

1. what a lovely bird bath !! and what a lovely view !!!!!

2. Cheryl says:

Your pictures and descriptions take me to a place where I think I am actually seeing the birds.

3. I LOVE THIS! Scrub mine all the time but just sit and watch never a thought to capture their joy in our space we provide.

4. Hope says:

I’m jealous of this one! Great shot! 🙂

5. Yes, their eyes make them look mean, but that yellow color is really cool. And the grackles around us have such gorgeous plumage.

6. janechese says:

Great idea, Donna! I never tire of bird shots.

7. Mona says:

What a great shot!

8. Im loving these photos and would never get bored of your stunning images. His plumage is just gorgeous and wow what stunning scenery overlooking the sea, its breathtaking. Looking forward to Fridays.

9. They are pretty! Have a lovely weekend, my dear! 🙂

10. Love the bird bath photos!!!

11. Pat says:

Love to watch the birds splashing in the birdbath.

12. I love birds so you just keep on a sendin’ them! Great photos! Some of my birds eat my hard cat food that I put out, and it’s funny to watch them put it on the ground and peck at it to break it into smaller pieces. I have to chuckle when one of them has worked really hard at breaking it up only to have another bird swoop down and snatch his smaller piece from him. I’m sure the bird is not amused however. Blessings, Natalie

13. Diane says:

I can’t wait to see what you post on this subject! I’m a *huge* bird lover and look forward to seeing what YOU see! I love your blog anyway! I haven’t commented in awhile but I’ve sure followed you…remember me?? 🙂

14. Emily Heath says:

The first and second photos are my favourites. It looks so much fun to have a splash in the water. Looking forward to more bird Fridays.

15. That mousy brown of the Crib Grackle does make them look less aggressive. I always thought out grackles look like they belong in a motorcycle gang, except I do sort of like that purple sheen they have.

16. Phil Lanoue says:

The clicks and squawks the grackles make are something else. Love seeing these guys.

17. Donna, you never cease to amaze me with your clicks. And, the amount of time you put into the info you provide on your subject matter. You rock! Margie

18. bittster says:

Those clawed feet look almost as mean as the glare of the eyes! I have a soft spot for grackles. They’re so loud and gregarious and always seem to be a little smarter than you think.

19. I really love their eyes and beaks…so expressive.

20. Fergiemoto says:

I sure liked seeing your bird bathing photos! They are so fun to watch. We had a robin visit quite frequently earlier this year to splash around in the bird bath.

21. Sue Link says:

Beautiful photos of birds! I love photos of birds when you can catch them like that in the birdbath. After seeing your gorgeous shots of birds I think I need to go out and get a new camera.