Leaves Stuck in Nature’s Limbo – Thursday Thoughts

Oak-leaf

It took time looking for finds so simple, but the colors of Fall are not just the “smack in your face” glowing trees. Sometimes the individual is as pretty as the many, but then again, pretty is in the eye of the beholder. I just happen to appreciate the simpler things.

LeafAfloat-2

I was on the hunt like the fox on voles. Eyes peeled for leaves stuck in place, or floating down the stream. Why?

No reason really other than giving myself a project that would be fun, and for a time to think without the distractions of the everyday.

RedLeaf

It was almost as if the leaves wanted to be noticed and admired. Just stopping long enough for those of us to appreciate their yearly sacrifice.

It did make me think beyond the obvious task at hand though. To realize that people get stuck in limbo, and for no other reason than a fear of something. I often like the unexpected of nature because it can be something new. That or seeing something ordinary in a new way.

Oak-in-grass

I was looking for leaves in ways other than laying on the ground or casually hanging in the tree. Some leaves seemed stuck like Velcro for instance. Maybe these leaves were asking for assistance to continue their journey back to the soil for the germinating seeds. Completing a job, so to speak.

Too-Pretty-2

I even found leaves submerged… like a tropical fish swimming the sea floor.

maple-leaf-under-water

The best finds were those stuck in colorful grasses. Even crispy leaves had some interest.

Crispy-Leaf

This made me think of being surrounded by a colorful life, one that does not dwell on appearances as one gets older.

Maple-Asters

Some leaves were just show offs, upping the pretty factor of where they landed on their journey. Others like below, wanted no distraction from their own existence.

Too-Preety-to-Ignore

This one was the most unexpected find. One blade of grass dangling the leaf like a Christmas ornament. And Christmas represents hope, and belief in things that require faith. I have no clue how it stayed there rocking in the wind. I also have no clue how it relates to being stuck in limbo, except maybe to take a chance on the seemingly impossible and having a bit of faith.

Oak-caught-by-grasshead

Follow along as each day has a theme.

ThursdayThoughts

Happy Halloween

Pumpkins

This entry was posted in Fall, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Leaves Stuck in Nature’s Limbo – Thursday Thoughts

1. What gorgeous reds and oranges! It’s been raining all day today and these pictures brightened up my studies 🙂

2. Merilee says:

This is so very lovely. I look forward to seeing your posts. They make me happy.

3. I love the individual leaves too! These were all lovely. Natalie 🙂

4. Stunning…so stunning, Donna. Simplicity is sublime.

5. Sue Link says:

The simplicity of the leaves and your eloquent thoughts truly make one stop and think of the ordinary. You inspire me! I loved the 3rd picture of the red leaf in the water. That was breathtaking! Sue

6. Barb says:

You are one fabulous photographer!

Hi Donna, we had a very dismal October, so it is a treat to see your beautiful leaf photos. Rain and drizzle have been constant the last few days and your posts are uplifting.

8. Emily Heath says:

My favourites are the ones in the water, but they are all lovely.

9. Stunning! I could feel the leaves and water!

10. newvoice says:

How uplifting that was – thank you! I love the colours of autumn. Almost as much as I love the buds of spring.

11. lucindalines says:

So pretty, and such interesting way you put things together.

12. Gorgeous pictures, I especially loved the leaves floating on the water.

13. Stranded yet all so beautiful! 🙂
    Happy November, Donna!

Beautiful photos! Each leaf is uniquely beautiful. I enjoy watching them take their circuitous journey from the trees to the ground. That’s what we do every morning at the bus stop–watch the leaves fall.

15. Phil Lanoue says:

Really good eye to spot and photograph these scenes that most anyone else would have missed. Very nicely done.

16. dianaed2013 says:

Such gorgeous images – the idea of relating water to the leaves seems to have a deeper meaning

17. Autumn is so captivating. I love your photos of the individual leaves and those engulfed in water. It is often how we see the leaves but don’t stop to recognize them when, as you stated, they stand out so beautifully!

18. Donna,
    This set of photographs is stunning, as yours always are. What I enjoyed the most was how you brought in the human factors: simplicity, stuck in limbo, and then faith. Your joy as a photographer seems to so greatly compliment and augment your own emotional and spiritual person, and I thank you for that.

19. Yes there is beauty in even the single leaves of autumn. I loved seeing your wonderful finds. The one’s floating in the water really caught my eye and that last one. – I also love how you tell a story related to your photos. Very inspiring and enjoyable to read.

20. Very cool all I have been doing is raking them lol no need for camera I thought 🙂

21. catmint says:

enjoyable post to read, and it must be a fun post to write. It’s a great idea – choose a theme, take photos, then write stream of consciousness thoughts. Should be fun and meditative. Now all I need is some time and calm …

22. As always your pictures need no words. I love the premise and how the leaves found a place to show off.

23. ginnytalbert says:

Wow, what a bevy of beautiful ‘fallen leaf’ shots, especially the very first one!

24. Beautiful Donna! I love this post on the individual leaves-fall really is a lovely time of year and the leaves just dance for us!

25. Denise says:

Beautiful photography, Donna. I also noticed all the stuck and dangling leaves in my garden. But my photographs were really bad. I will keep trying. Do you have any tips?

• Hi Denise. Just so happens I was blog hopping right now, so I got time to answer your question. I had to almost lay on the ground and shot up or at the leaves, trying to avoid too many twigs in the way. When I said at the beginning of the post that it took time, this is why. I also was shooting late afternoon and made sure to shoot into the sun for back light. But honestly, if I did not have this huge meadow to walk through with leaves stuck everywhere, it would be simple to stage these shots I think. Just find a sturdy meadow plant and position the leaf at the end of the day. Some of my shots were morning too. I was so happy with the simple compositions, that I went the next morning. I have another post coming with more leaf shots. The water shots are at the Falls. A small stream flows through the woods to meet back up with the raging river. I went out on the rocks for leaves trapped between rocks and snapped their image. The floaters were much harder to get because the stream is fast moving. I had to be quick as they went by.

26. Fergiemoto says:

You captured the leaves so well! What a lovely collection of fall leaves.

27. Diane says:

What a beautiful post! Not only your photographs but your thoughts as well.

28. mariekeates says:

Lovely photos. 🙂

29. Gorgeous post Donna, just beautiful. Especially love the first leave surrounded by stripes.
    Did you draw your header? It’s lovely. Margie

30. What a gorgeous reminder of how beautiful fall can be…I really loved your photos.