Wednesday Walks – A Tour of Color

SnedikerGardens-18

If you are a serious collector, this garden is popular to visit on Daylily Society tours with over 250 varieties.

SnedikerGardens

Two acres of lush gardens bursting with not only daylilies, but many beautiful annuals, herbs and perennials.

SnedikerGardens-11

I will leave you to your leisurely tour, take your time and enjoy. This garden is a prime example of gardens blooming in vibrant color. Eighteen images, and I did not show it all…

SnedikerGardens-3

You might even get some ideas for your own gardens.

SnedikerGardens-5

Many paths take you on your stroll. Not many private gardens are this beautiful unless they are tended by a team of gardeners.

SnedikerGardens-2

SnedikerGardens-4

I visited this garden privately, but it was part of the open gardens held during the National Garden Festival.

SnedikerGardens-7

Bored yet? I guess if you are one to only like native plants, then I guess this is not your cup of tea.

SnedikerGardens-19

As a designer, I like seeing such exuberance.

SnedikerGardens-12

The beds are laid out to be easily tended.

SnedikerGardens-16

SnedikerGardens-10

Most paths are field stone. The large grass expanses are necessary in a garden with so much color.

SnedikerGardens-13

The large trees add depth and structure.

SnedikerGardens-9

SnedikerGardens-15

SnedikerGardens-14

SnedikerGardens-20

SnedikerGardens-6

Next… Fridays are for the Birds.

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walk Images and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Wednesday Walks – A Tour of Color

1. acuriousgal says:

Beautiful place and pics, Donna!! I have Daylilies in my backyard, very easy to tend and so colorful!!!

2. Lorna Gannon says:

Enjoyed your guided tour through the garden and the lovely photos. Thank you!

3. Where is this heavenly garden?

4. Absolutely lovely garden. Is it open to the public? If not, how does one get notified that a public tour will be held? The garden has a lot of similarity to the Gethsemane Prayer Garden in size and in clustering, yet it is more vivacious. As you said, the design seems very well presented.

• I think it is rented out for events. They have a gift shop and large outdoor grilling area. It is located in Gasport, NY. I am hesitant to list the owner’s name and actual address. Next year during open gardens might be your best bet to visit. You are not that far away and getting the Directory next year would be great for planning a visit. You could see many of the gardens I feature. Two of the other daylily gardens I show (one last Wednesday Walks) are open for appointment only. They sell specialty daylilies.

5. xxTruthBeToldxx says:

I wanna see this lovely garden 😉 so beautiful

6. Wow! So many angles and they’re all beautiful!

7. lucindalines says:

So beautiful. It makes me want to plant more flowers.

8. Sue Link says:

I just love this issue of your blog! The gardens are really beautiful and such amazing work for a private garden. I recently started planting daylilies and I love them. I only wish they had a longer bloom season. I’ve been trying to purchase ones that bloom later to extend the blooming period. I wish more of them were more successful at re-blooming in our area. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures!

• Sue, you have to look for re-blooming daylilies. I have Twice as Nice blooming right now in November. Many varieties will extend the season if you make sure to cut off flowers before the seed heads develop. I have clients with the same complaint and I instructed them to remove flowers before the seed heads appear, and they were much happier. Since daylilies bloom on only one day for each flower, it helps if you have a full time gardener as they do. 😀

• Sue Link says:

Thanks Donna. I haven’t heard of Twice as Nice, but I will be sure to look for it next year. The only ones I have now that reblooms are the Stella D’Orio and the Purple D’Orio, but the Purple D’orio hasn’t rebloomed for me. Thanks again for all your help and inspiration.

• A few others, Black-eyed Susan, Hyperion, and Spell Binder. Don’t forget Stella varieties too, but do a search, there are lots of colors that re-bloom. Happy Returns (dwarf size) is also blooming now.

9. Patty says:

Love the colour. I can see it would be a great place for a stroll on a sunny afternoon.

10. Beautiful photographs Donna. I would like to visit this wonderful place. Love daylilies and lots of them is even better!

11. Wow! all the people responsible of this beauty were surely having great great fun, weren’t they?! [assuming they are more than one, or rather, hoping!]

12. ginnytalbert says:

Breathtakingly lovely!

13. bittster says:

That is so much color! Daylilies sure do pack a summertime punch. I might have to look up a few and add them back into the beds, I went through a purge a couple years back and haven’t brought any back since.

• I do the same thing. I tire of certain plants and give them all away. I do have the advantage of getting them free, so pulling out is never an issue. Last cull, was 6 Iceberg roses, and 8 boxwood.

14. Lovely tour! Thanks for the great photos to take me along. Blessings, Natalie

15. Daylilies are wonderful–they provide color, structure, and interest. Even if they aren’t native, they don’t seem to take over too much–unless you want them to!

16. RW & SK says:

Beautiful place and pics, Donna!
    Greetings, RW & SK

17. Makes me want to rush out and buy some daylilies. Love the red, yellow, and orange – though pink daylilies somehow don’t look right to me.

18. londarmonica says:

Loved your guide, thank you! 🙂

19. Pat says:

What a wonderful tour of this splendid garden!

20. This certainly cheered me up on a gloomy, wet day here. What a lot of fun and spunky blooms! Daylilies are great for summer color and complement so many other blooms well they are easy to add to any garden. It is amazing how many varieties there are!

21. Those pictures are exquisite! Seeing them just inspired my whole day and filled my mind with pure beauty! Thank you!

Gorgeous! I have a daylilies, too, but nothing as spectacular as that!

23. This makes me wish even more for my own garden!

24. One of my favorite times in my garden is when the daylilies bloom throughout in a riot of color but not at all like this….such an explosion of color in this garden…wow!