Fridays are for the Birds – Soar High as the Birds

Red-tailed-behind

The saying goes, “Soar like an eagle.” No eagles flying here, but the Red-tailed Hawk is doing his best eagle imitation high above.

Red-tailed-above

Red-tailed Hawks are difficult birds to photograph I think, rarely coming near humans. Oh, the life of a bird…

Red-tailed-Hawk

They perch high above the tree tops, surveying the scenic landscape below. They come down to feed and catch prey, but up they go again.

Hawk-after-mouse

Flying high above, I would like to be like a bird to fly around the world just to experience each Autumn.

Gull11-5-13

Seeing the trees from above and soaking in the cool breeze of the freeing experience.

Trees

Birds have the life, no?

Turkey-Vulture

They spend a lot of time seeing the world.

Taking-Flight

There is much about autumn that I enjoy. The cooler temperatures that come with this season are a relief after a sweltering summer.

Red-tailed-side

I enjoy the changing hours of daylight and darkness. The grasses going tawny brown are soothing after a season of bright light and piercing color.

But one thing both good and bad is when the birds decide to move on until next year.

Gull-in-Dive

They take to the wing for far off places. The landscape grows a bit quieter, a tad tranquil, and enters into repose.

Red tailed hawk

When late November comes around, most of the leaves will be off the trees and birds that remain are easier to spot. But only those hardy enough to brave the biting winter stay on.

FallColor-2

If I were a bird, winter inevitably arrives, so flying the world to experience Autumn will come to an end. In the meantime, catch a few wind currents and unground yourself.

sky

Red-tailed-hawk-side

The birds just soared and soared. I wonder if they take in the beauty below? I would like to think they do.

Turkey-Vulture-1

Tree

The hawk’s tree.

This entry was posted in Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Fridays are for the Birds – Soar High as the Birds

1. I had two encounters with hawks on Wednesday. I was driving at sunrise and a squirrel was in the street. It would take a couple hops, then stop. Hop, hop, stop. It finally was near the curb as my car came close to it when all of a sudden a whoosh of white feathers blurred past my windshield. The hawk expertly banked and was in no danger of my car, but it surprised me. I have no idea how the squirrel fared. In the afternoon, several miles away I came out of an office building and saw a hawk on the telephone wire right in front of my parking space eating a small bird. I could have tried to snap a shot with my phone, but I doubted that it would have turned out well, so I just sat and watched it. Thanks for sharing your photos.

• I think now that Fall is here and many songbirds have migrated, the hawks that choose to stay are seeing dinner fly south. I have heard them at the feeder and saw the sparrows flee, but could not locate the hawk. Two of my blue jays are nothing but feathers in the yard now, but I think that was a city cat. You were lucky to see them close. The shots at the Falls are kinda rare for me. The hawks stay well into the gorge. I have known the tree at the end of the post has a nest and I always hang around to see the hawks. This was the first time I did. I was there over an hour hiding and waiting.

2. fictionfitz says:

Wonderful photographs, did you take them all?

3. I’d like to fly – but I’d like to stay me. My ambition is closer to being a super-hero than a feathered bird.

4. acuriousgal says:

Oh such beautiful pics, Donna!! I’d love to be a bird for a day!! Such stunning creatures that always catch my eye!!!

• I know, but one day would not get me too far. I guess flying a plane is the closest we can come, but I am actually wary of flying in a plane. I guess because you have no control if things go wrong. Our fate is in the hands of many others.

5. pepaulmier says:

Birds do have the life, we have a lot of hawks here and I enjoy watching them flying above and wish I could join them. Nice pictures

• I wish we had lots of hawks that I could see closer. Being on the gorge, I see quite a few, but they are too far for my lens. Even images in this post, most were pretty far up in the sky and this bird was flying over the meadow – right next to the Niagara Gorge. In winter I see more than when the trees have the leaves.

6. lucindalines says:

Interesting tree for the hawk. In our area they prefer the dead trees. I think they can see the area better without the leaves, of course the prey are maybe more aware of them too.

7. Phil Lanoue says:

My WP Reader has totally changed (and messed up) how I look at and comment on other’s blogs and it is now not just difficult but close to impossible. Not sure what the problem is but if you don’t see me around for a while (or ever again) that’s the reason. Sorry.

• That would be a shame to lose you as a reader. I really do not like the new reader. I found I can comment on a blog I did not even read! It does not count as a view to that blog to my knowledge. I commented on your blog through the reader and it only shows the first couple of images, not the whole post with out additional clicks. They still allow “likes” without seeing the post. I have written to them about this issue. It is causing less readership I believe.

8. Oh, thank you so much for this great post on the hawk. All this information I didn’t know and I am supposed to be a hawk in the Indian horoscope! 🙂 Happy weekend, Donna!

9. Beautiful photos of birds in flight. The hawks here seem more comfortable getting closer to people. We have had hawks perched on our fence against the alley, as well as on our outdoor table. This is probably because of all the meals on the wing attracted to our bird feeders.

• Same here in my garden as you know, but not in nature. They must be very wary of being shot. As soon as I open the car door, they are gone. Even woodpeckers leave trees when they sense people. In my garden I can literally touch them.

10. cindy knoke says:

love all of these!!! kudos~

11. We have red tailed hawks in the woods on our property, so we see and hear them frequently — they can be very vocal when danger is around. But I could never aspire to photographs like yours, Donna. Beautiful! P. x

12. I often think about what animals “think” and “enjoy” too. I like to think the birds appreciate the view–I wonder how it looks to them. If I were a bird, I would travel south before winter, too. 😉

Wonderful shots of hawks, as always. We have our share of them here on the farm as they are constantly stalking the chickens. The bigger hens are wary and hide under the spruce trees whenever they see the shadow of a hawk fly over. We did have one try to take a bath in our pan fountain, too, which was comical. The fountain wasn’t big enough and he didn’t fit, he looked so sad. If I’d had your photography skills, I could have gotten a great picture!

• Always a problem with chickens, the hawks really like poultry. Here the meals are much smaller in bird, but the Red-tails look at the squirrels sometimes. The squirrels are a bit too large for take out though.

14. Great photos! Blessings, Natalie 🙂

15. Your photography continues to blow me away. Wish I had more time to spend on mine. I look forward to what you find for us over autumn and winter 🙂

16. Fantastic captures of the red-tailed hawk! I do love birds of prey…We have several varieties of hawk that we see in our garden. Rarely do I capture them with my lens, they just don’t like to pose for the camera. Do the hawks stay around your area year round? I am sure they enjoy the leaf litter that hides their prey. 🙂

• They are here year round. Last year I had many posts with hawks in the garden. The Red-tailed are much more infrequent in the garden being so large, but when really hungry, they come. I got photos of one attacking a squirrel in my pear tree. The squirrel lived because I intervened. I did not want the hawk to get a broken wing, so I stopped the skirmish.

17. Oh I agree about Hawks being hard to photograph. I’m still trying to get a decent shot of one. Loved your shot with the one in the grass and also that cool looking tree.

18. Pat says:

Beautiful photos.

19. This is a beautiful post. 🙂 I think being a bird would be difficult but it would be fascinating to see the world through their eyes. Maybe we would end up with a world that had more trees and less concrete.

20. I am drawn to all birds having breed parakeets to owning a very smart African Grey now my outdoor buddies hold my attention well till the Red Tail comes in for a kill and lads on post for clothes line and checks me out taking his photo it is a hit in one of my stores though I was not happy with him wining and dining on my songbirds 😦

21. I find any bird in flight pretty hard to photograph, so good job.

22. What stunning pictures Donna…I have often wanted to be a bird soaring on the thermals and seeing the beauty of the landscape below. I love the hawks as they brave winter, actually they love the cold of winter and thrive in it…such amazing birds.