Death of a Season – Thursday Thoughts

YellowOrangeLeaf

Did you ever notice how many photos are taken of things dead in nature? Almost always in Autumn too. Why do we find these images fascinating?

Rose11-7-13

Killing frost has withered most flowers, and new growth for next Spring comes at this cost.

Hibiscus

Inside dying flowers lie the seed of future growth. Dying leaves reducing into simpler forms of matter will spring forth new life.

RedOrange-Leaf

Like I briefly looked at last post, Color Your World Tuesday, is it not ironic that hard-working Autumn gets short-changed as people gear up for Christmas? I feel like when Christmas hits the advertising markets in September, it almost kills off a season with so much to offer.

Hydrangea

I am bewildered at reading the day after Fall arrives, people start whining about Winter.

Snow-on-Fallen-Leaves

Nature is in motion. Some flowers persist almost saying, “Slow down people.”

Alyssum

Hosta

Looking at nature, this is a season to be reminded of one’s own mortality. A friend lost his life this week and it makes me cherish each passing season more so – life measured in seasons gone by.

Scabiosa

Nature is changing all living things on her time frame.

FallDaisy

This is why I don’t understand all the folks that rush the seasons. Incessantly complaining that Spring is too wet and cold, Summer is too hot and dry, Fall is too lifeless and bland, and Winter is too frigid and confining. Maybe Goldilocks has a moral to update…nothing worse than complaining about a season that could be your last.

It certainly gives me the thought to respect nature, be grateful that each season “is just right” and I’m still here to see it.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Death of a Season – Thursday Thoughts

1. alesiablogs says:

Seasons of Life –Death is part of this.

2. Hope says:

Hi Donna. Just wanted to let you know that Little World of Hope is now Little Pix of Hope. I’ve started over and I’m at at http://littlepixofhope.com Come see me! 🙂 (Delete this comment after you read it if you wish. I just wanted to let you know.)

3. Very nice post, and you’re right we should each season of life. Blessings, Natalie 🙂

Hello Donna, I agree heartily! I don’t have a favorite season, they’re all grand, but I have to admit a fondness for fall. Things are winding down and there is time for reflection. I am sorry to hear about your friend. We should all cherish every moment for we never know how long we have. Thank you for the beautiful pictures.

5. Sue Link says:

Donna, your written thoughts and pictures are so eloquent. They blend together beautifully with such a simple expression. Thank you for this little prayer to accept each day as it comes and to be thankful for the nature, family and friends that you share it with. Sue

6. Sonja says:

Thank you for this reminder that we need to seize the day and remember how blessed we are–no typhoons that devastated so many ; no wars that make our days unsafe . Just some frost to start the end of a season. Here in Southern California we really don’t have seasons–it was 90 today–a

7. I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend. Such loss reminds us to find the beauty in each day and each season.

8. acuriousgal says:

Such great pics, Donna….all seasons must come to an end!

9. londarmonica says:

Very nice post and always beautiful images! Thank you

10. Here’s my theory. In Western New York, the one word that describes our weather is changeable. Around here, people can put up with any kind of weather for no more than three days in a row. Snow is okay, as long as it doesn’t last longer than three days. Hot and sunny is okay, as long as it doesn’t last more than three days. I love your photos, especially the first one.

11. Fall does seem to get short changed. There is over a month left and people are already calling it winter because it went down into the 20s. But now it will be in the 60s for the next few days providing more time to work outside. I enjoy the changes. I am very sorry about your friend.

12. Wow, perfectly said, Donna. I’m so sorry about your friend. Losing a loved-one certainly does change the perspective. I do appreciate autumn much more than I did as a younger person. But our northern winters are increasingly more difficult for me to appreciate (my husband still has a job here, and most of my family lives in Wisconsin and Illinois). One way that I deal with this is to whine, since I don’t have a choice but to survive the winter. Whining, for me–and I suppose for others–is a coping mechanism. But it isn’t pleasant for those around me, so I will try not to whine so much. I do hope Jen (Muddy Boot Dreams) and her friends will resurrect the “No Winter Whining” meme this year, because it really helped me to make it through last year. Generally, you won’t find me whining much from late March through October. 😉

13. Oh, I agree with you, Donna! Watching nature move and not rushing it… Nowadays it seems that we are rushing everything. Thank you for the beauty. Happy weekend, my dear.

14. This reminds me of a joke I heard in North Dakota when I traveled there regularly. It derives from the tendency of farmers to complain about the weather.
    Q. What do you call a basement full of farmers?
    A. A whine cellar.

15. janechese says:

I chuckled at gardeninacity’s joke. I have a friend who happens to be in palliative care, that and your writing reminds me to be in the moment and enjoy it, to take time to count my blessings when I hear myself complaining.

16. Amen, sister. Well stated and beautiful images galore. I adore all seasons, especially when I can slow down and reflect and plan. Gardens keep me grounded for sure…

17. Such variety in your photos. Love thelittle pops of color in the sleeping world.

18. We’ve definitely been on the same post wavelength! Always wonderful Donna. Margie

19. mariekeates says:

So sorry you lost a friend. I agree about rushing the seasons too. To me it’s about looking around at the little things in each day, living in the moment, even if the moment isn’t all that nice.

20. Aquileana says:

OUTSTANDING BLOG.. BEAUTIFUL & STIRRING POST,

CHEERS, AQUILEANA 😉

21. This is precisely why I started my meme…so I could savor each season and all the wonders they hold.

22. Emily says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. The death of a friend does remind us how quickly time passes. How much doesn’t get said. And, here, you’ve said so much. I moved to the Northwest from Los Angeles 6 1/2 years ago and experienced clearly defined seasons for the first time in my life. And maybe because this is all still so new to me, I love them all. Your photographs make me love them even more. And I agree, Fall gets shortchanged by the slide into Christmas. Photographers can make us stop and see the season. thank you.