Welcome to Wonderland – Wasp Travels

Looking-Good

Not Alice’s Wonderland, but my world of small shown big.

Alice in Wonderland did not run into bees and wasps, but can you imagine running into them if they were really big? Alice mistook flying elephants for bees seeing them buzzing flowers in the far distance. Think back to when you were a curious seven and a half year-old, and follow this Yellow Jacket on its journey. What might we find?

wet-Wasp

When not flying around or stinging adversaries, did you ever wonder what wasps are up to in November? Well, let me tell you…

WaspTrek

They take a scenic hike. Going for a walk is most relaxing, even stopping for a dip in the lake.

Walking-the-Plank

They explore end to end.

Grasshopper-on-moss

They look for some companionship…

Wasp-on-Edge

and visit other insects.

LongDrop

Wasp-Beetle

They might sit for a spell.

Greener pastures are calling. Time for lunch…

WaspDrinking

A good sip of water can be found.

WaspSipping

And tasty fruit.

Wasp-Having-Meal

Yum, yum, yum.

WaspDining

After a good meal, they do a thorough cleaning.

Cleaning-Antenna

Have a good scratch and fluff up the hairs.

Itch

Then take off and find new adventures. There are always new adventures to be found in Wonderland.

Crossing-the-Precipice

Want to know how I got these photos? It is November remember? It was 64° today, and the insects were a bit sluggish. I…

• Set up a tiny landscape on a decaying poplar log. Moss and leaves makes the terrain.
  • Provided a little water and fruit.
  • Added the insects I carefully caught in a jar.
  • Placed them on my poplar log in the garden.
  • Set up the camera on a tripod with a 60mm macro lens.
  • Watched what would happen.

The grasshopper only stayed a second or two, but the wasp was there for a long while enjoying the handouts. Alice continues next Monday with some really big insects.

Macro-Monday

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Welcome to Wonderland – Wasp Travels

1. Stunning captures as always I must get a macro lens for this Nikon 🙂 With my eyes I miss so many details as well. I love my landscapes but personally I love a world in macro 🙂

2. Rebecca Anne says:

That’s a good idea how you set this up. I enjoyed his journey and your photos.

3. Pat says:

Delightful series!

4. Sue Link says:

As always, beautiful pictures Donna! and loved the story as well! Sue

5. Ika Kilberth says:

Wow very clear image. Nice shot!

6. Whoa, are those water droplets on its wings? It never even dawned on me that water might bead up and stick to its wings. Fantastic!

7. paxami says:

You are the best bug and bird tutor out there. And I might as well add trees and grasses and flowers to the syllabus . Great photos, but that’s a given with you, Donna. Thanks for another intriguing lesson.

Donna, despite having far too many close encounters of the painful kind with wasps this summer, this was fun. About the only time I’d feel safe enough to photograph those beasties up close is when the weather is cold and they’re too slow to sting me. Great job as always!

9. Eulalia says:

AS always… Lovely pictures 🙂

Yhanks for sharing them…

10. Hope says:

My kinda photography! I love the macros! 🙂

11. acuriousgal says:

Donna, such perfection!!! I loved the wasps journey

12. Emily Heath says:

A great reminder of how the world looks to insects. It’s almost making me feel sympathetic to wasps.

13. All I can say is WOW (and that does no justice). Amazing work.

14. Amazing pictures. These critters sure are fascinating to watch. I love how all the action rests on a bed of moss.

15. Dennis Golombek says:

Nice shooting!

16. Loved the journey, Donna. You are a great guide!! 🙂

17. ginnytalbert says:

What a splendid bunch of buggy macros! Love the effort you went to to gather these wonderful shots! So creative…

I enjoyed reading about what the wasps are up to! It’s been very warm here, too–67 degrees two days in a row!

19. igardendaily says:

Just lovely and loved learning a bit more about the “personality” of a wasp! My favorite shot is the “good scratch” one. 🙂

20. RW & SK says:

WoW !!! Beautiful photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

21. mariekeates says:

Beautiful photos and a beautiful story

22. Very cool! The close-ups do make you feel like Alice in Wonderland. Love all the textures you’ve captured

23. Phil Lanoue says:

Wow those wasp photos are truly amazing!

24. Great photos! blessings, Natalie 🙂

25. Such superb photography…great to see this creature through your lens and not as I am trying to escape its sting.

26. Water beading on the wings? Astounding capture!

27. Greg Urbano says:

Nice headsup on how you got the photos!

28. Wow, stunning! I’m imagining you down on your hands and knees trying to get good angles. Sounds like you had a great plan–and it worked! Applause!

29. Impressive macro shots of these useful pollinators. I know many people freak when they see wasps but I am O.K. with them. I don’t find them to be aggressive.

30. You HAVE created Wonderland, Donna. Thanks for explaining how you did it. P. x

31. bittster says:

Wow! great pictures. I love the ones with the ladybug in there, it looks like they’re just hanging out and sharing a good story!

32. Really cool macro photography, I like those! 😀

33. Donna, this was a ridiculously cool post . Loved it! Margie

34. Wow, wow, I don’t think I have ever seen macro shot that are that good. I share my Facebook page with about 350 professional photographers from all over the world who make there living selling their photos and running classes to teach others the art…these photos are exceptional.

35. Fabulous shots Donna…our insects were gone with the first freeze…so nice to see yours in November