What’s Up Saturday – Decadent Mushroom Soup

Wild-Domestic-mushrooms

Mushroom soup that has so much goodness it is almost sinful. I adapted this recipe from Joe’s Restaurant, formally in Reading, PA.

KitchenCapers

Joe’s was a fancy restaurant in a rather pedestrian part of town. They were known for their cellar of wine and home-grown mushrooms. The Reading restaurant closed unfortunately when the family decided to move the restaurant to Oregon.

The owner, Joe Czarnecki Jr. took his talents and expertise to Dayton, Oregon along with his chef son to open the Joel Palmer House. They continued the fine dining tradition, combining fine cuisine, great mushroom hunting, and world-class wines.

Sliced-Mushrooms

I made my soup from their recipe originally, but turned it into my own with variation. I serve this soup often when I have company and it has been a hit each time. I myself never ate a mushroom until I had the soup at Joe’s. So if you are like me and shy away from mushrooms, you just might like them in this soup.

Chopped-Onions

Cream of Mushroom Soup

• 7 tbsp butter
  • 6 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 C diced onion
  • 8 oz. Shiitake mushrooms ( I used 4 today, but normally use more)
  • 8 oz. domestic mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp chicken broth for sauteing mushrooms, will reduce down
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • (1) 14.5 can chicken broth – use as much as needed to thin cream base for desired consistency.
  • 1/2 tsp dried savory (do not substitute here)
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 – 2 tsp sugar (if you want to take the biting edge off the savory and soy sauce use 2 tsp., I used 1 tsp)
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • White pepper to taste
  • Salt to taste

Melt-Butter

First…

In a large saute pan, cook the onions in the 1 tablespoon butter until transparent, then add the sliced mushrooms.

Saute-Onions

Pour in the 2 tablespoons chicken broth, cover for the first ten minutes and cook over low heat, stirring a few times. Uncover for 10 minutes until the mushrooms and onions are tender, and the liquid reduces.

Butter-Flour

Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a sauce pan. Slowly stir in the 6 tablespoons of sifted flour. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes to remove the pastiness of the flour.

In this same saucepan with the flour, slowly add the cream. I thicken the mix over medium/low heat, then add just enough chicken broth to have the desired texture. Joe’s did not use a chicken base in his soup, it was all cream. This soup already is off the charts calorie-wise, so make your own determination how you will prepare it. I just happen to like the added flavor of the chicken broth, but have made it without as well.

Seasoning

Add the savory, white pepper, salt, nutmeg, soy sauce, and sugar to the soup base to flavor. Add the sautรฉed mushrooms and onions. Simmer to combine flavors. Add more chicken broth if necessary.

Mushroom-Soup

Simmering in the small 1.5 liter sauce pan, then adding more chicken broth (total used 14.5 oz) to make a less thick soup.

Top with chives and serve immediately in small bowls. It is a very rich soup, and if having it as a course before a meal, it is best to serve a small portion. The guests will be asking for more though…

Mushroom Soup

Mushroom Soupย downloadable pdf – just right-click to save to desktop.

And for those of you that want the Joes-Mushroom-Soup-Recipe, here is the downloadable pdf.

I have kept their recipe cut from a newspaper for about 25 years. I was surprised to find it stored in my cookbook. I have made my soup so many times and never wrote it down until I made the soup for this post. Enjoy either!

Bowl-Soup

I have two variations on this recipe that ups the wow factor. I make the soup as above and when adding the mushrooms, I also add a can of lump crabmeat. Another dish adds two additional mushrooms, making it a mixed bag of mushroom goodness. I use Cremini and oyster. Oh, these are decadent soups, definitely not diet food!

Add a few more calories with my Walnut, Maple Syrup, Apple Pie shown in Kitchen Capers above. That is another delicious dish that heads right for the hips. Or try my pumpkin pie.

MushroomsShiitake

Foreign and domestic… but make sure if picking mushrooms in the forest you get the RIGHT ones. Joe’s used wild mushrooms in many of his dishes, but they knew what they were picking. I take no chances since there are both poisonous and non-poisonous varieties of the one below. I think that fungus is poisonous pig skin. I purchase all mushrooms that I use.

2Mushrooms

Macro Monday – Welcome to Wonderland is a trip back with Alice to the land of big creatures. See you then!!!!

This entry was posted in garden, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to What’s Up Saturday – Decadent Mushroom Soup

1. I bet this is delicious but too much cream and butter for me. I will have to make it on a special occasion. I always wanted to go to Joe’s after reading about it in the New Yorker but never got their before it closed.

• You can always substitute 2% milk and Heart Smart butter, but the soup would not taste as rich and creamy. You know I am not allowed to eat this rich of food and do make it more heart smart for myself. The crab version really is delicious too.

Decadent and delicious is right. Your soup is perfect for the cold weather we are having.

3. Victor Ho says:

Great recipe! I was just thinking of mushroom soup. Having grown up with Campbell’s, this is a a whole lot better. With all the cream and butter, there’s not too much to complain about except the health risk. It’s much like fettuccini Alfredo that I first heard called ‘heart attack on a plate.’ And I have come to know nutmeg to give a mysterious flavor to many dishes – mac and cheese.

• Ha, I know this is a nightmare soup for someone with a heart condition, but I did mention in the post it is a soup for special occasions and to serve in small bowls. Shown is a custard cup and even that is too much for a serving as rich as is this soup. I love fettuccine too. The nutmeg was my addition. I like the little kick it gives.

4. Thanks Donna, can’t wait to try this with my Shiitakes and Oysters. I grow Winter Savory, but don’t have dried….might have to buy some to see the difference. The lump crabmeat addition sounds yummy!

5. alesiablogs says:

I never thought I would see a recipe on your site. I am making this!!!!

• I have put a few recipes up. I should do it more often too. I love to cook and make many tasty inventions. I love to experiment with spices and different flavors, coming up with some really tasty dishes.

Donna, I have never eaten mushrooms either, but this might just tempt me to take the plunge. I have often seen mushrooms in the woods here and have no idea if they are poisonous or not, so I’ve never taken a chance. I made cream of potato soup yesterday and it was so good on a cold day, but didn’t turn out as beautifully as yours.

• I like mushrooms now and use them in quite a few recipes that I make. I found it just is having them in something I like that makes me more likely to try them again. I never ate rice either, and now I do a lot of Asian cooking. I just made red potato soup myself this past week. That is another base soup that can have additional ingredients that take it past the ordinary.

7. Oh, my, Donna… that sure looks delicious!!!!
    Happy weekend, my dear!! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. acuriousgal says:

I could use this right now….yum

9. Forwarding this to Judy. Love mushroom soup!

10. Hope says:

I emailed my sister your recipe. She LOVED it! Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. One of my favorites after seafood chowder ๐Ÿ™‚ I am re-blogging to my blog and it will also appear on my Facebook Blog page YUM I am so hungry Wish I had seen it before I shopped tomorrow will be nasty cold here this would have been wonderful. I will make soon maybe weekend after Thanksgiving. Have a Wonderful Holiday ๐Ÿ™‚

• I add the crab because I too like seafood chowder very much. I make that pretty often too. Both a creamed version and a tomato base version. I am not supposed to eat cream soups so I have broth versions of most I do make. I hope you too have a happy holiday. This will be my first year not making turkey.

• Wow not turkey ๐Ÿ˜ฆ I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. Mine shall go into the oven and off we will go for a fiur hr walk well that is if we are not buried in snow then we would metal detect the coast ๐Ÿ™‚

I love the fattening creamy versions of most but each Tuesday is weigh in ๐Ÿ™‚

Stay safe tomorrow not sure if you will get the weather before us but we are to see single temps. and 30 to 50 mph winds ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

12. restlessjo says:

LOVE mushrooms ๐Ÿ™‚

13. ginnytalbert says:

A moment on the lips, forever on the hips! LOL
    This soup recipe sounds just divine and I especially like the idea of adding crab. Die and go to heaven food. Thanks for sharing!

14. Pat says:

Looks delicious. Wish I could make a flavorful low sodium version.

15. Can’t wait to try it. It sounds so yummy! Blessings, Natalie ๐Ÿ™‚

16. bittster says:

This sounds really tasty, calorie rich or not. You need energy in the cold! That will be my reason for trying this soup. I can always have a salad later ๐Ÿ˜‰
    thanks for the recipe!

17. RW & SK says:

Mushroom soup is Yummy!

18. Food photos amazing. Recipe likewise. I’m salivating. Great work! Renee

19. Denise says:

Looks delicious. I printed the recipe and will try it soon. Thank you. Why can’t the savory be substituted? I don’t know what savory is.

20. This looks delicious, Donna! Love the use of savory and nutmeg!
    Kenley

I will definitely try this recipe! I love mushrooms, and I love soups. It’s perfect for this time of year. Thanks!

22. tyannak says:

Looks great! will definitely try this one.

23. Looking forward to trying this…

24. Fergiemoto says:

Oh, WOW! Homemade cream of mushroom soup! I just have to try this. I love mushrooms and love cream of mushroom. Thanks for sharing, Donna!