Macro Monday – Welcome to Wonderland – The “Good and Bad” of the Insect World

macro1-1

In this small world, the insects get along pretty well foraging the same plants, or so it appears. But from our perspective, the small world is broken down into “good and bad.”

Macro-Monday

Welcome to Wonderland, or at least that’s how it seems.

With animals, if it is furry or feathered, then it is “good”. Unwanted are most of the insects to most people unfortunately.

macro5

There is a place in people’s hearts for elephants and polar bears, but how often for the smallest creatures like insects?  If it has a stinger or eight legs, insects are often mindlessly swatted and squished.

macro13

If it has colorful wings it may make the “good” list. The curiosity and imagination of small children can make things “good”. Adults are those teaching them some are bad, dangerous or icky.

TigerSwallowtail

Do you remember the story of Alice in Wonderland?

“I don’t rejoice in insects at all,” Alice explained, “because I’m rather afraid of them — at least the large kinds.”

In Wonderland, her 7 ½ year-old curiosity and wonderment makes her unafraid, even adventurous. It also helps that the insects talk too.

Wonderland has a peculiar view of nature, where wonderfully strange animals are big – even smart.

macro3

For instance, The Caterpillar is quite frustrating to Alice, asking questions that seem senseless. He also does not pay attention to her replies. Does this not remind you of how kids see parents?

macro7

Good or bad?

macro11

In reality, the insect world has many horror stories and many insects would be considered scary monsters to other insects. But to us… at least they are small.

Dragonfly-2Small

macro141

It takes getting to know what insects really do. Lots of bugs we despise really do good in their natural world.

MadagascarCockroach

Ants, termites, and cockroaches invading your house brings in the exterminator, but in their element, these creatures are nature’s housekeepers, breaking down dead and rotting plant material.

macro15

Of course, everyone now-a-days is very cognizant of the plight of the pollinators. No pumpkins above without the squash bee.

macro8

No pretty flowers without all the bees and other pollinators.

macro12

Occasionally, they create hardship like the deer tick transmitting Lyme disease, or the Anopheles mosquito whose bite can inflict malaria. At times, we just can’t figure out how they benefit us. They do have their ecological niche though. Good or bad…

macro91

Insects do seem to rule the world…

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Macro Monday – Welcome to Wonderland – The “Good and Bad” of the Insect World

1. The Editors of Garden Variety says:

Absolutely stunning images. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

2. Wow! What gorgeous photos! My favorite is the one of the bees covered in pollen.

3. Lots of nectar robbing in the monarda! I saw tons of that this past summer too. The honeybees and the little Augochlorini are both secondary robbers though…they can’t cut their own holes through the corolla so there must have been carpenters or bumblers first. Beautiful.

4. Rose says:

Your photos are magnificent, Donna! I love the one of the bees covered in pollen, too. I must admit I was one of those who didn’t have much use for insects for a long time, but gardening and even blogging have educated me so that I see them in a much different light. I still haven’t found a benefit for Japanese beetles, though:)

5. Really nice macro work!

6. pepaulmier says:

Beautiful pictures, I must say the bees covered in pollen will win favourite pic. hands down. To Rose, who sais that she has not found benefit for Japanese beetles, we should remember that some of these bugs natural habitat has been altered by us humans.

7. You make them look so beautiful, Donna and yes, they do seem to rule the world, don’t they?! 🙂
    Happy Monday, my dear!

8. Sue Link says:

Wonderful photos of the insects and pollinators! I just loved seeing all the pollin on them. And I agree with the above comments- I think the one of the bees is a prizewinner!

9. randomrose says:

Thank you, I so enjoyed the magnificent photos and dialogue. I am attracted to all tiny things in life.

10. I have a soft spot for bumblebees. Most insects I find very interesting, especially spiders, although technically those are not insects. Perhaps some day we will eat insects like they do in some other cultures (as close as Mexico). Maybe then they will not be considered so icky. However, I’m not ready to volunteer to be the first to try. Fantastic images, as usual!

11. This post was definitely worth waiting for…thanks so much for the amazing pictures and delightful commentary.

12. bittster says:

I think I’ve looked into the eyes of one too many bugs! The pollen coated flying bees is an awesome picture

13. Patty says:

Fabulous photos. This post made me think of how I tend to prefer brightly coloured birds to just brown birds. Who would rather gaze on a sparrow when there is a blue jay beside it? I feel the same way with insects and like you suggest think the ugly ones are must be bad or not preferable to have around.

14. Wow, a plethora of great captures! Very nicely done. Natalie 🙂

15. mariekeates says:

Beautiful photos. I’m a great believer in the balance of nature. Everything has its place. I’m glad isn’t like killing things, even insects.

16. Annette says:

A wonderful plea for the poor creatures people meet with disgust. Mankind is strange, I never understand why we value one thing and condamn another. In the eyes of insects we must seem like ugly monsters too. Fabulous images! 🙂

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for the reminder about how important insects are. My girls are very afraid of bees (and anything like a bee), but I think there are a couple furry creatures that are even less welcome in our household than insects: rodents!

18. Phil Lanoue says:

Those are tremendous photos but Yikes! Bugs up close! 😯
    I’m more comfortable around a nice cuddly alligator. 🙂

19. Pat says:

Fantastic world of macro insects!

20. Your photography are excellant!! really cool!!

21. I prize my insects while my neighbors exterminate theirs…they don’t understand that they would have less problems if they would have less lawn and more flowers.

22. Fergiemoto says:

Fabulous macro shots, and i love the so vital honeybees and your bee shots.