Gone With the Wind – Tuesday Color My World

TulipPetal-inWind

It has been a windy week, and the snow is gone, which got me thinking…

Pink-Tulip-2

Winds of Autumn sweep away all that depict Autumn’s special nature as trees go bald to the wind’s rhythmic passing.

The wind has the loudest and last word as it hurries the air, snapping off branches and dry twigs. Yet the wind times its wait to show itself again, secrets of beauty hidden until next season arrives. It then puts on a frosty coat to walk the runway of winter.

Pink-Tulip

Announcing it’s coming at first gently, then with the strength of kings’ mighty armies it arrives ready for battle. Winter winds turn down the volume for a ride into Spring. The lion becomes a lamb. Or does it…

Lily-11-30-13It seems the weather is changing, and changing in big ways. Seasons seem confused, but the wind remains the constant, even if the snow is not in Winter’s playbook.

Tulip-Losing-Petals

But as quick as the tulips bloom, Spring itself is gone with the wind. In a whirlwind of growth, summer arrives. In a short three months it too is winded away. The cycle continues.

Tulip-Destroyed

Fall is known for the wind whipping leaves, but it happens in spring as the apple blossoms litter the ground and the tulips drop petals to the wind.

Falling-petal

Until they find a soft bed of leaves on a sturdy branch on which to rest. Soon, we will be deep in the season of down. The wind blows and blows, moving us right along on its schedule. As the tulip bulbs warm in the ground, they wait patiently for Spring to cycle around again.

Petal-Landed

The squirrels got a tasty treat with these petals. I think they were giving me the high-five as I went inside.

The photos of the tulips were taken during high winds after the weather turned from snow to spring-like. The lily bought for a project which I finished – was photographed in that recent snow just for the unexpected seasonal contrast. The tulips from the grocery store (past prime and really cheap) were taken outside (after time spent indoors and petals starting to drop) to watch the wind break them apart like it does in Spring. They expertly played their part in my little drama…

petal-drop

At least until they became squirrel candy. Nothing goes to waste without at least three uses it seems.

Next Wednesday Walks, another garden to make you think of warm summers. Then Thursday, one of my photo projects gets the heave-ho and I was none too happy.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Gone With the Wind – Tuesday Color My World

1. Wonderful shots! lovely post.

2. alesiablogs says:

This is a reminder of the seasons of our lives. WE all go through them. I am reminded of the bible passage that their is a time for everything. Seasons come and go and so such is life itself.

Beautiful photos! So far, we’ve had a very confused fall/winter that alternates between unseasonably warm temperatures and record snowfalls (even a few inches was a record for December 8th–most of our snow comes later in the season). Today, we’re getting more snow, and my kids are home for their birthday. They’re disappointed that they won’t be “the birthday girls” at school today (they’ll bring in cupcakes tomorrow, though).

• It is so Spring-like lately after our snow. Finally we are down in the twenties though. The east coast storms missed us with all that snow and ice. Happy Birthday to the girls. Tell them I want a cupcake too!

4. That picture at the top is a bit of a mega-picture! Entrancing.

5. I love the petals in motion. Very cool.

6. Pat says:

Lovely shots of the petals in the wind.

7. acuriousgal says:

Just excellent, Donna

8. I keep my hybrid tulips in containers very close to the house, and that seems to discourage the squirrels. They have to make do with crocuses (croci?).

• Well, being in a container does not stop squirrels here from eating the blossoms. They like tulip petals too. All my bulbs planted many years ago remain. I always plant them deeper which foils the squirrels. Plus, another trick is I plant lots of Allium and Daffodils.

9. Phil Lanoue says:

Very colorful and also quite soothing, I enjoyed this quite a bit.

10. We get very windy days especially in winter. No point in raking leaves because they just all get blown about again. Your images are beautiful! I especially like the one with the tulip petals on the stump with the moss.

• Thanks, Karin. Here all the neighbors rake into the street, so all the leaves end up in everyone’s gardens when the wind blows. The city is supposed to gather the leaves, but by then, they all blow back to gardens. I mulch leaves so I guess I take care of them that way.

11. AWESOME POST and AWESOME PHOTOS!

12. Great shots and a very nice premise and post. Blessings, Natalie šŸ™‚

13. Andrea says:

Hi Donna, and you are so good in developing that drama with your words. In the beginning i thought this is not the same Donna speaking, but yes it’s you, even if i haven’t been here for quite sometime. I remember you taking shots of the falling leaves for practice, now you’re already an expert and taking falling petals. I can’t imagine doing the same shoots too, how will i be able to focus a falling petal! OMG.

• You always say you have not been here for quite some time. I am always here posting every two to three days. Visit more often, I visit those that do. Can’t say I am an expert by any stretch, but I do like sharing what I have learned in 30 years. If you want to shoot moving subjects, I have many posts telling one how I do it. I also have my Photography Tips tab which is popular.

14. elmediat says:

Very effective use of transitional images to support and convey the text.
    BTW If you want some snow & cold air we have some up here that you could have. šŸ˜€ We hand -22 Celsius this morning with wind chill bringing it close to -30. We had gone through a melt that left the lakes open, now not so much. Still not safe for any except the fool-hardy.

15. Sonja says:

Lyrical text and exceptional photos–as usual. Such a treat to come to your blog, always something to learn or admire. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a good new year.

16. Annette says:

I love these floating pictures of yours, well done!

17. Those soft tulip petals made me think of warm spring breezes…fabulous!!