Get in the Spirit of the Holidays – Wednesday Walks

RedBirdhouse

Get the spirit as you take a walk in the snow… for red, red, red.

Knox-Farm-5

I took my Jeep on a ride with a day bright in sunshine, not a cloud or flake to be seen. 35 miles later, the sky darkened and the heavens let loose, a blizzard of flakes 2 miles from my destination.

Knox-Farm-6

The day was very gray here, but the snow made it all worthwhile. Many look at this as a day to be inside, warm by the fire. Others dream of beaches and blue seas. Some get their cameras, yet complain it is cold. What fun is in that?Β  If you live in a place like this, could you not grow to love the snow? It just screams Christmas without a wreath, lights or a decorated tree.

Heifer-Barn

You can almost imagine the horse-drawn sleigh coming down the country road, people laughing and having a joyous time.

Country-Road

Funny thing about this day, as soon as I left Knox Farm, 2 miles towards home, it was bright and sunny all the way to Niagara Falls. I swear the blizzard came just for me, one of the few that really loves this weather.

Knox-Farm-4

I will be here again next week with a friend of mine. It is Knox Farm State Park. The Buffalo Audubon Society is having a walk called Tree Tales. “What do the bare trees tell us and how can we understand the language of bark, buds, twigs and scars.”

barn-Knox

It should be much fun as we tour the property. I came today because the day looked so promising. I did not expect the snow, but what a great day it was.

Shepard

Peaceful and relaxing, the park has 633 acres of various habitats, with 400 acres of grasslands, 100 acres of woodlands, ponds and several wetland areas. Here is the website for Knox Farm for more information.

White-Birdhouse

I did not see one bird though. I was hoping to see a Snowy Owl in the vast snow-covered fields. Maybe next week. So when I got home, the cardinal greeted me as if saying we are all here!

Red-Cardinal

In sunny Niagara Falls. You will see trees draped in ice, sparkling in the sunshine on Sunday. Maybe a few more birds too.

Knox-2

I hope you enjoyed the snowy walk this morning.

Bird-Houses

It is such a beautiful place…

Knox-Farm

Fridays are for the Birds… some real beauties, truly. I tell you how I lure in wild birds at the Falls. It is not how you might think.

Sunday, see how cold the birds have it here in Niagara. The scenery is breath-taking on a sunny day for Slow It Down Sunday.

January is for the birds here in Niagara, and last year I did a series on creating a backyard photo studio, which also included how to bring birds to your habitat. These posts are really going strong this year with many views, so I thought to continue birds of Niagara with more information on my technique and setup.

Coming up, why the unappreciated understory plays a big part in safety and shelter for these birds in frigid conditions. Why it is important for conservation landscaping. Also, a post on caching behavior and why the birds do it. I watched as they hide…

Chicken-Knox

Happy Holidays from GWGT.Β  Plenty more wintry scenes to come through this year into next.

This entry was posted in Winter and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Get in the Spirit of the Holidays – Wednesday Walks

1. acuriousgal says:

What a beautiful walk and the snow…..how perfect!!! Can’t wait for your series n how to bring birds to your habitat!!! This info I’m in need of!!!! Enjoy the holidays, Donna!!!

2. lucindalines says:

So beautiful, we in the Dakotas always forget that there is beautiful country in other states too. We often get so wrapped up in the idea that every where else is just city on city. I love the photos you share to prove those thoughts wrong. Here is wishing you a very Blessed Christmas.

3. I love snow, what I don’t like is cold dreary days with no snow. That’s not a problem right now because we just had out fourth snowstorm this winter. Knox Farm is beautiful and you did a great job of catching the flakes coming down. Did you get my email? I have been having problems with my phone and email.

4. Eulalia says:

Beautiful park :)…. I love the dogs… πŸ™‚

Beautiful pictures…

Thanks for sharing your trip….

5. Barb says:

Donna, your wonderful photographs make me miss winter!

6. Loved the photos. Loved the snow. Blessings, Natalie πŸ™‚

7. alesiablogs says:

We have not had snow yet here. We may not, but I do go up to the mountains every year a couple of times and snow shoe. It is so freeing to be out in the snow and walking and enjoying nature. Thank you.

8. Your photos are breathtaking! I loved the red barns and birdhouses in the snow! You inspire me to keep going out and getting pictures! (Just don’t want to get my camera covered with snowflakes) hahaha

9. igardendaily says:

Beautiful day Donna! Your first pic is my fav although I love the red barn shots too. Looks like a great place to spend some time this winter. I am interested in attracting birds so I’ll have to catch up on some of your posts regarding luring birds to your winter landscape.

10. ginnietom says:

like red colors…:-)))

11. These are beautiful. Gets me ready for Christmas!

12. kerlund74 says:

Oh, they are all filled whit Christmas, so wonderful with the snow falling! I love the first one the most, a fantastic photo:)

13. Alisha says:

white earth…awesome pictures…i love snow..thanks for such a great post..

14. If you don’t like the weather in Western New York, wait ten minutes or drive two miles. The forecast for Saturday is temperatures near 40 and the possibility of rain. Ugh!

15. Gorgeous my friend…picture perfect…you should frame the close up of the barn!! Merry Christmas to you.

16. Rose says:

Your photos are just beautiful, Donna! Anyone who doesn’t like snow will change her mind after seeing these images. You’ve really put me in the Christmas spirit!

17. Awwww, thank you for the Christmas spirit, my dear Donna!!!! So beautiful!!! πŸ™‚

18. Julie says:

Beautiful photography, I like them all but my favourite the first one. Its mild here and no snow forecast at all, so lovely to see your snowy scenes.

19. Yes, it sounds like you live in the right part of the country for you, Donna. I love the snow, but not the cold. But we’ve officially crawled out of the single digits. 20s and 30s are a lot more enjoyable–and a lot safer for being outside–than the single digits and subzeros. Lovely photos!

20. mariekeates says:

As they say, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes! We have very little snow here in Old Hampshire and no one is ever prepared for it when it does come. I’d rather have snow than constant rain which is what we do have lots of here. Now walking in a real downpour is something I really hate. I love the cardinal, we don’t have those here either but he goes very well with the snow.

21. What a magnificent place! I wish we had some snow here. The landscape is so dreary and brown. I love looking at the winter wonderland. The red really pops against the white snow. Very festive and spiritual!

22. beeholdn says:

Such beautiful cardinals for Christmas.
    Blessings!

Love the red barn in the snow. It does sound like the blizzard was in your honor. πŸ™‚

24. Phil Lanoue says:

Really wonderful winter scenes.
    I won’t be seeing any of that soon, it’s supposed to be close to 80 here this weekend.

25. all great stuff but I really love the red barn photos!

26. janechese says:

I love shots of falling snow and you captured these so well, especially the first ones with the barn.. Best wishes to you!

27. Having fun no mater what, is what it is all about. πŸ™‚ Great shots as always.

28. Beautiful, nostalgia-enducing snow pictures, Donna. Love the shots with the red barn.

29. Happy Holidays to you and yours Donna…love the red birdhouse and barns.

30. Fergiemoto says: