What Scatters the Songbirds?

Such a peaceful nap…

4-Doves

Four Crouching Doves

Happy and resting Mourning Doves… all is content in bird land.

4-Cardinals

Cardinals and more cardinals

A yard full of red cardinals enjoying the day.

2-Cardinals

One Cardinal Pair

But something is wrong… “Yikes man, incoming”

Cardinal-in-Pear

Cardinal in the Snow

Uh oh…

Goldfinch-Calling

Goldfinch Calling the Alarm

“Everybody hit the decks… run for cover.”

Hawk-1

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Looking… “Crap, they disappeared.”

Hawk-2

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Looking… “How did those fat doves get under there?”

Hawk-3

Sharp-shinned Hawk 12-26-13

“Why do you always ruin it for me? Get that camera out of here.”

Cardinal-in-Viburnum

Male Cardinal Hiding in the Viburnum

“Ha ha, you missed me.”

Happy New Year

Snowman

NEW, NEW, NEW at GWGT

And YES NEW … four NEW pages of bird posts, starting with Bird Chirps – Bird of the Week. Under this tab in the menu above you will find drop down tabs to these pages having all the bird posts from 2013, 2012 and 2011.  So many birds and so much to say about them.

And those insects?

There is a new tab for Bees and Friends 2013 and a drop down for Bees and Friends 2012.

Your interests are GARDENS

Well a tab for Public Gardens and Garden Walks should whet your appetite in these cold months of winter as you tour local gardens from the National Garden Festival participants. The drop down of Public Gardens takes you to beautiful famous gardens around this country. Take a stroll, you will get more ideas than you can ever imagine. Drop down again and we have Fling Gardens. Gardens, gardens and more gardens…

This entry was posted in Birds, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to What Scatters the Songbirds?

1. Merilee says:

What a great post! Happy New Year to you!

2. Happy New Year—all the best in 2014!!

3. Nick Hunter says:

When I saw the title, I was hoping to see a Sharpie in the “fly-through backyard restaurant” – and you didn’t disappoint. Right place at the right time – great shots!! Happy New Year

4. Hope says:

I love the drop-downs. Very helpful to us! Thank you!!! 🙂

5. Happy New Year, Donna. Blessings, Natalie 🙂

6. Beautiful pictures of your backyard visitors! Loved the hawk especially.

7. Julie says:

Happy New Year Donna, I have really enjoyed your posts and photographs in 2013. Every good wish for a great 2014.

8. lundygirl says:

Great photos. Happy New Year to you!

9. Good one! My world totally! Now Bald Eagles have been cruising as well, someday I will get a lens for this camera to capture them as perfectly as you 🙂 I shall be on the roof for next 3 days maybe they will be kind enough to sit in the tree beside me 🙂
    A very Happy and Healthy 2014 to you.

I’m looking forward to your posts in 2014 and all the wonderful photos you will be sharing with us. Happy New Year.

11. Jeanette says:

I always enjoy your posts. Isn’t it fun giving your birds a story and narrative! Happy New Year.

12. erupprecht says:

What a wonderful New Year’s present. Just stumbled upon GWGT and love it! Awe-inspiring photography. Happy Blogging in 2014!!!

13. A very Happy New Year, my dear Donna!!!!! 🙂 xx

14. Fun post! I’ve seen similar hawks dive into my Rose of Sharon to try to get the smaller birds. The doves are usually the losers in those situations.

15. Annette says:

Delightful! Thanks and a happy new year to you too 🙂

16. Those pictures of the sharp shinned hawk are outstanding! Happy New Year to you from Judy and I! Look forward to seeing you at the fling in 2014!

17. That hawk is beautiful but I am sure the local birds aren’t too happy about it. I just read an article that said hawks are on the increase on Long Island and I think I might have seen one up above just three days ago. They are magnificent. Happy 2014!

18. Denise says:

Happy New Year Donna. The tabs are really useful.

19. franzisofie says:

happy new year! the last bird has a great expression. You did very well with capturing this look! Really cool!

20. Happy New Year, Donna! Lately, we’ve had near-constant subzero weather so the birds have been a little scarce–except for the juncos, who were happily flying back and forth between the shrubs and the bird feeders all day today! They are amazing!

21. Great photos and an exciting story line. Have a happy new year.

22. These photos tell such a cute story. Happy 2014.

23. Brian Comeau says:

Cute story Donna and some really great shots. Happy New Year

24. love red cardinals! They really stand out with the snow in the back ground. I have a pair that raid my birdfeeder everyday at the same time like clock work!

25. So glad to see the pages so I can easily find some of my favorite posts…I have not seen sharpies recently but a red tailed hawk was perusing the are and hung out in a tree just behind us.