Hey, Too Much Snow in Buffalo

Ice-Patterns-10

Not really in my area, but some places near here got buried. I heard it was news around the country what happened in the Buffalo area, just as was the horrid low temperatures elsewhere.

We were -4° last night but all is OK here barring the 45 mph winds that shook the rafters. OK if you just stayed right here that is. Many roads, highways and thruways were closed down. The NYS Thruway between Buffalo and Pennsylvania was closed due to white out conditions.

It was the first blizzard to hit Buffalo Niagara since 1993. One to two feet more of snow is expected around the Western New York area. Much of the country has been getting slammed. All 50 states, including Hawaii were below freezing during some point on Tuesday, some places in the Midwest and East being colder than Antarctica. Whoa!!!

Ice-Lower-Niagara-River

Ice in the Lower Niagara River

All that ice I have been showing you in Duckdom has created ice dams and flooding has hit the area as well. Saturday has temperatures reaching the mid forties with rain.  Crazy, crazy weather. Did you see the wild waves hitting Europe. My gosh is 2014 starting off with record news breaking weather.

Ice-Art

So let’s not look at ice in a bad way. It can make a place look amazing… don’t believe me? See Niagara Falls State Park Under the Ice in Holiday Spirit.

Ice-Patterns-7

In all this craziness, there still is beauty to be found. Let’s look at some to take the chill off.

Ice-Patterns-3

Diamonds… just a change of thought.

Snowflakes-2

Ice-Patterns-8

I’d ask you if you know what I was photographing, but I’m sure everybody does.

Ice-Patterns-4

Really cool patterning, no?

Snowflakes

And colors, depending on the time of day.

Ice-Art-3

Ice flowers and leaves?

Ice-Patterns

Or just ice…

Ice-Patterns-6

I like to imagine it is something else entirely… a world away.

Ice-Patterns-5

Hope everyone makes it through this storm. Be warm and safe.

Ice-Art-2

For all those following the Duck drama, the party responsible for invading Duckdom is up next. Not to miss, some pretty disgruntled ducks.

This entry was posted in garden, Weather, Winter and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Hey, Too Much Snow in Buffalo

1. Since there were driving bans, my husband had off. However, I work from home, so I didn’t have off! When you think about it, we really are fortunate. A blizzard blows through and it has almost no affect on me. We have heat and shelter and food and electricity and even the Internet. Those are wonderful macro photos, Donna.

2. Victor Ho says:

Well you have my sympathy. On New Year’s Day, the kids and I dove the Red Sea and they had a hawksbill turtle adventure swimming with the turtle as it slowly left the area. And I have always heard that Buffalo gets it the worst. And, it’s summer in Antarctica.

• I know, Buffalo gets a bad rep from the winter weather. Oh well, I think it is beautiful covered in snow. Even the blizzard had no ill effects in my area as Connie said in her town. She was closer to the worst of the weather than I.

3. acuriousgal says:

Stay warm, Donna! Love the delicate ice photos and the reference to ice flowers…exactly!! Those waves in the UK, yikes!!! Have a great day, looking forward to Duckdom!!

• Did you see the other link? Chicago has a featured photo along the waterfront. As cold and treacherous as it is, the photo really makes Chicago one beautiful city in the snow. I was there for the Housewares Show three years in January, so I KNOW your city is fabulous in the snow and ice.

4. giselzitrone says:

Wunderschöne Bilder sind sehr schön.Lieber Gruß von mir Gislinde

5. ginnietom says:

flakes on glass or frozen water…happy shooting…:-)))

6. janechese says:

The frost paintings are beautiful and the weather is crazy all over the continent. Poor Newfoundlanders, who hardly ever get snow, have plunged below freezing, got a couple feet of snow and their power is out. They will be dressed in layers indoors. I have heard about the states who are below freezing in areas that never get that chilly -hard to cope.

7. erupprecht says:

Thanks for making even this horrendous weather seem beautiful and something to be appreciated. I’m a firm believer that there is beauty to be found in even the most trying situations or unlikely places.

I used to commute by bus into NYC from New Jersey, which took me along one of the ugliest stretches of highway known to man — the part of the NJ Turnpike just south of New York City (from the Lincoln Tunnel down through Elizabeth) — oil refineries, old abandoned warehouses, junkyards full of rusted tractor-trailers, what we used to call the swamplands. (Think of the opening title sequence of The Sopranos.)

But you know what? I used to see the most amazing sunrises and sunsets as we were driving along that stretch of I-95. Just gorgeous. And when the snow fell, it made the whole thing seem eerily beautiful. Wish I were as good a photographer as you, because there was something about the juxtaposition of the defiled, junkyard landscape and these gorgeous sunsets, or the eerie beauty that a coat of new snow gave even this blasted area that was really special.

Sorry for the long comment . . . your beautiful photography just got me thinking.

• What a beautiful sentiment!

• I enjoyed reading your comment, no need to think it was too long. I too would have seen the juxtaposition and found the beauty in that. Those old, rusted structures are a photographer’s opportunity. We have grain elevators up here and it is similar. I would bet the sunsets and sunrises are gorgeous as a backdrop. Connie knows what I mean about the grain elevators too.

8. Beautiful ice flowers! We have been enjoy this winter weather from Michigan. We’ve been unable to travel home due to road conditions, driving bans, and road closures. So we’ve made the best of it especially since we never see this type of snowfall in Georgia. It is a crazy start to the new year!

9. babka113 says:

очень очень красиво!Природа рукодельница!

10. pepaulmier says:

There seems to be too much snow and ice everywhere, Brrrr…

11. Joe Owens says:

I live in the mountains of Virginia and we were around -5 degrees Fahrenheit here. I really dislike this time of year because nothing id growing or blooming. Thankfully I have some Orchids approaching their bloom cycle, with one having three bloom stems. I cannot wait to photograph all three with blooms for the very first time. I guess that will suffice until Spring.

12. Thunder snow and all! 3 to 4 inch and hour always makes the news it is a crazy winter it will be beach weather this weekend for us so off to the sea for me to thaw 🙂 I took a bunch of frost photos as they formed on the trucks exterior. 🙂

13. beautiful pictures !!!!

14. Scott Weber says:

Cold or not, it’s certainly beautiful!

15. It was a bad one for sure but oh so much worse for many than here. It got very cold but we had no ice or snow thank heavens. You stay safe and warm too, Donna. Blessings, Natalie 🙂

16. We were hammered here in West Falls but as far a blizzards go, this was really fairly tame. Having lived through ’77 and ’85 and being so acclimated to mounds of lake effect snow, this storm will be easily forgotten, much like the last blizzard the news reported our area had in ’93. Totally blanking on that one! Glad you are well. Love the ice crystal photos – I posted a few stream ice shots last Winter taken down in Potter County, PA. http://oakmossed.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/nature-tats-in-ic/

• I was here for ’93 and ’85, but not the big one in ’77. I think most here are very used to the weather and dismiss how bad it is sometimes. Being a skier, I have seen really bad so much of what comes here really bypasses me too.

17. Wow, whatever the season, you just make it so beautiful. I’ve never experienced winter but the way you depict makes me long for one even just once in my lifetime. =>

18. Beautiful ice photos. I love macro photography. Keep warm. Going to St. Lucia?

19. Annette says:

Oh yes, we did see the waves, crikey, and shiver when we think of the horrid cold in the USA. Frost in Hawaii? Pretty crazy. Your ice flowers are delightful 🙂

20. Patty says:

As a kid I loved seeing what designs Jack Frost would paint on my window when I woke up in the morning. Today the windows don’t give Jack a chance to be artistic anymore. Gorgeous patterns- mom nature always does it best.

• My house is almost 100 years old and you are right. The new construction has all new windows, yet most of the other windows are original to the house. I like the patterns the ice makes. Have to be quick though, the sun melts them. Some I photographed at night with the neighbor’s Christmas lights, and others the street lights. That is why all the images are so different.

21. Helene says:

Beautiful ice photos! We have been following the US cold weather on the news over here, whilst having quite the opposite. Here in London we are quite sheltered from the worst of the storms and floods, but it has been a gruelling 3 weeks of relentless rain and windy weather. I am glad it seems to be over for now, next week is set to be much calmer and with only sporadic rain. The only upside is that we have quite mild weather and still no frost in my garden – but the winter is far from over, at least 2 months more, perhaps as much as 3 months before I can declare the risk of frost over.
    Stay warm and safe!

22. Phil Lanoue says:

Wow! You did an outstanding job with frozen ice crystals! Amazing!
    Try to keep warm up there. 🙂

23. Pat says:

Neat pictures of the ice crystals.

24. These ice photos are magnificent Donna. How I love the simple beauty nature puts before our eyes no matter the time of year. Our dog, Quincy, a wheaten terrier, is from Buffalo, NY! We drove to pick him up 6 years ago. He is of stocky breed for a wheaten. Must be where he was born! Margie

25. You take the most simple things and turn them into works of art Donna…we missed all the snow and had 1 ft but we were plunged into the -35 windchills.