Niagara Falls Is Not Closed, Nor is it Frozen – But It Is Beautiful

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice

Here we go again…

The searches are going wild, looking to see if Niagara Falls is closed. They also are searching for the Falls frozen. Want to see what it is really like at Niagara Falls? I know you do…

Tree-at-Falls

I just saw a Nat Geo article that showed views I am showing today saying this is Niagara Falls in the snow. I wonder why they don’t check their facts.

Falls-in-Ice-8

f11  1/400 ISO 100

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice-2

What was in the image was pretty much what I am showing today. This is ice, not snow. Sure there is snow on the ground, but these particular views are ice – hard, solid ice. It is very slippery and the icy mist from the Falls bites at one’s face in the wind.

Base-of-Falls-2

It is often funny what the media shows as the frozen Falls. Here are the talus rock covered in ice. This view is shown sometimes when it is said the Falls is frozen. Frozen rocks!

Photog-at-Falls

Lots of photographers are out here today and a few were likely freelancing for publications.

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice--3

I am here really often and I rarely see so many people in winter.

People-at-Falls-in-Winter

People being goofy! Is that a scene from the Titanic?

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice-5

We don’t often get such nice days to photograph either, usually it is gray and dull.

Path-at-Falls

The wind side of trees get ice-covered, but from the lee side they are often ice-free.

Lee-Side-of-Trees

Sycamore-in-Ice

It is a sight to see though on a nice day. Of course, nice is relative since it is 15° and even colder by the thundering Falls. The wind is quite chilling, especially if you have to work in this weather. The image below is at the base of the Falls.

Base-of-Falls

And here..

Work-zone

This area is roped off as a work zone. Crews are doing construction and adding new landscaping.

Squirrel-with-carrot

While I am showing critters, don’t miss Pictures of Cardinals in Winter. It is another search I get here frequently.

female-in-Woods

They are photos taken up river from images you are seeing in this post. In the woods, the birds are a bit cozier.

Male-Cardinal-in-Woods

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice-4

Since I come here often, I like to set the record straight on the frozen Niagara Falls. You can see in places the ice builds up, but it does not stop the Falls from flowing.

Tree-in-Ice-2

It is a wonder the trees survive encased in ice.

Squirrel-at-Falls

Even the Falls’ squirrels have it rough. This squirrel is digging in snow. I wonder if he left a nut here?

Tree-by-Falls

Ice-Balls

This view below is from the overlook tower. I was surprised it was open because it was like a skating rink walking up to view from above.

Niagara-Falls-in-Ice-7

But, I do enjoy the view and so does Mr. Viewer. He is only happy in winter. Nobody is plugging him with quarters.

Happy-Viewer

This entry was posted in Niagara Falls State Parks and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Niagara Falls Is Not Closed, Nor is it Frozen – But It Is Beautiful

1. CC says:

Beautiful pictures……..I just shiver looking at them. Saw your post on how you keep warm – good for you!!

2. Sherrie Cooper says:

This is so enchanting… You make me fall in love with winter again… Just like being a child again. Niagara Falls is one of my favorite places in the world !

Sent from the official iPad of Sherrie-Lynn International.

3. The Editors of Garden Variety says:

I agree, it is beautiful during any season!

4. Spectacular shots! Clear days with blue sky in winter are breath taking.

5. PaigeBrown says:

Gorgeous shots! Thank you so much for sharing!

6. The falls may not be frozen but that is A LOT of snow. Everything is white. Nice pics as usual. Blessings, Natalie 🙂

7. I LOVE MR VIEWER’S happy little grin!!
    Beautiful photos, a real treat.
    Winter is so beautiful!

8. Donna, you should be doing photo spreads for magazines…seriously. Unbelievable! Magical covered in ice. Margie

9. alesiablogs says:

goodness. Glad you are there and I am here!!!!!! So beautiful, but yet so scary! I would be flat on my butt trying to walk in any of that…It is a marvel how you take such great photos!

10. meander1 says:

Breathtaking …I am awed and agog!

11. Have lived in the area all my life and have never visited The Falls in Winter. Shame on me!. Think I’ll try to get up there before February ends. Lovely work, as usual!

12. Ha! Love that last shot! What a beautiful place, and stunning through your lens. Someday I do want to make a road trip to Niagara Falls, but it will probably be in the summer. Thanks for taking us on an incredible virtual tour of the sights in winter!

13. And Mr. Viewer out there without even a hat or coat! So irresponsible. Gorgeous shots of the falls, as usual. Funny how these rumors start about the falls freezing. I imagine if it ever got cold enough to freeze the falls we would have far bigger problems.

14. Your photos are unbelievable! Just amazing! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! Loved everyone of them!

15. rlogan1155 says:

From the Canadian side of the falls but I have never seen anything like this. All I can say is WOW!
    Ruth from At Home on the Road

16. Daisy Prado says:

Just looking at these pictures gives me chills! Here in Arizona, we don’t even know what winter means! hahaha 🙂 It looks beautiful though.
    Happy Travels,
    Daisy

17. Wow! Thank you for giving me glimpses of something I might never see. => Beautiful!

18. franzisofie says:

What an amazing winter wonderland! Beautiful photos. And the squirrel finds food in such an icy landscape?

19. Scott Weber says:

Wow…talk about a winter wonderland…those images are amazing!

20. Patty says:

It is a magical wonderland. I have never been to the American side of the Falls. It looks like a beautiful park land summer or winter. I hope you were warmly dressed- it looks pretty darn cold.

21. Yes, I agree that is ice on the trees. Great collection of winter photographs.

22. Thanks for freezing your tootsies off to bring the rest of us some awesome winter pics . . . now go get yourself some hot cocoa — you deserve it!

23. mazza18467 says:

just looking at them makes me cold, I am glad we don’t get such cold weather. this year is very mild. it isn’t freezing yet.

24. Pat says:

Awesome shots of nature’s sculptures.

25. janechese says:

Talk about a winter wonderland!Stunning photos and I love Mr Viewer.;)

26. Mr. Viewer is so funny and of course I love seeing the ice-covered falls.

27. Elizabeth says:

We talked of visiting the Falls for my “special” birthday, which is next week. Of course, when we mentioned this in September, we knew the ice would be spectacular, but I never gave sub freezing temps their respect. I think I’ll simply enjoy your photos and pretend I was there!

28. mariekeates says:

How lucky you are to have something so beautiful right on your doorstep. It is a wonder anything survives under all that snow and ice.

It is amazing the trees can survive being covered in ice. Fantastic photos of a place I’ve never seen, but hope to someday visit.

30. These photographs of the falls are absolutely breathtaking. Thank you for braving the elements so that you could share these with us. It is truly a winter wonderland!

31. Indie says:

Wow, that’s a lot of ice!! They do make beautiful pictures, though. I’m surprised people would think that the falls would freeze. That would be some impressive weather to freeze that amount of flowing water!

32. Donna I think you ought to freelance for some of these publications as your pictures are far superior and more interesting…gorgeous shots!!

33. Cathy Testa says:

Really enjoyed seeing your photos – looks cold but so beautiful! I shared via FB and Twitter! Great work!

34. Gorgeous shots Donna! Love the Mr. Viewer, how cute! So interesting like you said how people don’t check their facts before posting “news” — and frozen rocks do not a frozen falls make!
    Kenley

35. Absolutely beautiful landscape and photos!!!!

36. Great photos! I finally got a chance to go last week. Still need to go to Canada and get the classic Falls shot from across the river. Good to know the observation tower is open. Pics on my FB page!

37. igardendaily says:

Just absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never been but would love to visit someday. I am surprised that so many people think the falls would completely freeze. Isn’t it common sense that with that much volume of water flowing, it would never completely freeze? I’m no physics person but I think that is pretty common knowledge?? Someone let me know if I’m in left field! 🙂