Here’s Looking at Cha – Fridays Are For the Birds

3-Gulls

Ring-billed Gulls

Do you get the feeling you are being watched? I get watched a lot when taking photos of birds. Birds themselves are always being watched too. Hungry predators see the dinner dropping from the sky like rain.

Cardinal-Watching

North American Cardinal – Female

I think what bugs me sometimes is that the birds look like they want to intimidate me. My response, “Oh really, who ya kidding there shorty. I’m the one bringing you food, and all you have to do is sit there for a few seconds. Is that too much to ask?”

Mad-Male-Cardinal

North American Male Cardinal

“Wipe that snarl off you beak and give me a little happiness.”

And some birds take more than they can even fit in their beak.Β  They look at me quizzically, “Why are you staring at me? I’m not dropping it for nobody, I dare you to try.”

Big-Seed-Little-Bird

White-breasted Nuthatch

Sadly, even the cutest birds can be grouchy looking.

Grouchy-Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

I showed this little grouch before. What a look!

Chickadee

Chickadee

The birds are cute, no matter what they are thinking. I hope they take that as a polite expression of admiration.

This entry was posted in Birds, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Here’s Looking at Cha – Fridays Are For the Birds

1. So dang cute Donna! Margie

2. Hope says:

Donna, your photography is amazing! Always fascinating to me! πŸ™‚

3. Debra says:

Hilarious! You are such a gifted photographer.

4. Very amusing captures! Perhaps they are a little weary of winter or maybe birds have bad days too. πŸ™‚

5. That white throated sparrow looks like he has a beard! Do they stay around there year-round or are they migrating through?

6. Love the chickadee! I don’t blame them for being crabby (if they really are)! It’s cold out there! I heard the birds being especially noisy out my window this morning, and then found out later that a stray cat has been hanging around my feeders. Dang. I don’t know if he’s actually a stray or a neighbor’s cat that they let out periodically. Makes me mad, though–cats don’t belong outside in this ecosystem, not to mention in this bitter cold! (He was cute, though–crawling up on top of my tool bin and compost pile and poking his head in the window. Made my cats mad, though!) No wonder the birds were squawking!

7. Sonja says:

That chickadee fellow is the best grumpalstillskin out there and that lady cardinal is so so beautiful. Wow!

8. alesiablogs says:

I love those beautiful RED cardinals!

9. randomrose says:

Who is watching the watcher? I wonder all of us that love birds…could we have been birds ourselves once???? πŸ™‚ Great photos as usual.

10. Wonderful birds, wonderful photos.

11. It looks as if the female cardinal posed for you in a studio. Wonderful shots!

12. Carolyn says:

Delightful! You have a talent for reading their minds.

13. AwOmmm: I am one with the grouch(es)!
    peace

14. Thanks, Donna, for a wonderful post.

Don’t know why, but I’m kind of in a poetic mood today, and your post reminded me of my favorite Robert Frost poem, “The Wood-Pile.” It’s about a guy out walking “in the frozen swamp one gray day” who suddenly finds himself “far from home.” As he’s walking, he happens to spy a small bird who is watching him:

A small bird flew before me. He was careful
    To put a tree between us when he lighted,
    And say no word to tell me who he was
    Who was so foolish as to think what he thought.
    He thought that I was after him for a feather–
    The white one in his tail; like one who takes
    Everything said as personal to himself.
    One flight out sideways would have undeceived him.
    And then there was a pile of wood for which
    I forgot him and let his little fear
    Carry him off the way I might have gone,
    Without so much as wishing him good-night.
    He went behind it to make his last stand. . . .

Doesn’t Frost capture that birdy sense of paranoia perfectly? The whole poem is fantastic — definitely worth checking out. In fact, Frost may be the best “bird poet” ever. He loved birds and loved writing about them. Sorry for the long-winded comment, but you have a knack for getting my brain cells firing.

15. mazza18467 says:

animal crackers, for sure. Brilliant.

16. Annette says:

I love this, Donna, cheers me up in this dreadful weather – have a fab weekend πŸ™‚

17. Phil Lanoue says:

Excellent! But that sparrow especially is soooo cute! πŸ™‚

18. The last one, the Chickadee ist absolutely adorable! (Although all your photos are great, Donna! ^^)
    Have a nice weekend!
    – MichΓ¨le –

19. Pat says:

Cute little ones.

20. Indie says:

Ha, that chickadee is so cute!! Cardinals always look rather grumpy to me for some reason. There was a cardinal who used to visit at the feeder back in NC that I always thought of as ‘the grumpy old man’. And he would perch at the edge of the yard and give me these looks. Too funny!

21. Ha! Great pictures. These birds certainly have character!

22. menomama3 says:

I ADORE that pidgeon-toed, knock-kneed little nuthatch. He looks like he’s saying “I’ll fight you to the death for this seed. Don’t even fink abaaat it.

23. You capture these beauties so well in winter. I often see a sharp-shinned hawk watching the birds, searching for lunch. I appreciate your kind words on my blog concerning my loss. You were in my thoughts after sharing your loss. Hope all is well.

24. Jennifer says:

You had me laughing. Birds are so tiny they have to pack a bit of attitude. It is funny that they can look grouchy and be comical all at the same time.

25. kyrrha sevco says:

Love your pics. What kind of camera do you use?

26. Donna I loved this post. The expression on the Cardinal’s and Chickadee’s faces is priceless! You have captured the different personalities of these feathered friends beautifully. πŸ™‚

27. Ida says:

Super cute post. You captured some great expressions here. I enjoy watching the Crows outside fighting over the peanuts I leave out. They are quite comical.

28. mariekeates says:

Funny how they seem to have such expression. I saw a smiling blackbird photo the other day and he really did look as if he was smiling.

29. Patty says:

Love the photos. I don’t get to see their funny faces up close very often.

30. Rose says:

Birds are such fun to watch; I don’t get to see them up close very often, though, except when they’re on my window feeder. I often wonder what they must be thinking looking in to see us all warm and toasty. The ones I enjoy the most are the ones who have no fear of that big white cat eying them on the other side of the glass:) Love the little chickadee!

31. These are wonderful, Donna! I so wish we got Cardinals out here. The color is stunning. But nothing beats those expressions. I especially love the moment you caught with the Sparrow! Is that a bit of snow he scratched out of his way? It really adds to the general grouchatude of the shot. Love it!

32. I LOVE LOVE LOVED THESE PHOTOS!!!!! My heart has just expanded about 3 sizes with pleasure! I haven’t been able to keep up with my favorite blogs lately because of my Mom being in town and other “life” type stuff. It has been a great way to re-enter the “blog-o-sphere” with your wonderful photos and words! Thank you!

33. I adore their expressions too…many of mine have been puff balls with faces that are wondering why they can’t come in to get warm…poor babes.