Gardens of Buffalo – 2013

Statue

Wednesday Walks

It is the time of year the garden walks are in planning and I have told you of my involvement on a few occasions. This leads me to what I believe garden blogs should be about – a bit more than the gardens just outside our back door. It can be the gardens of nature, or it can be those other gardeners spent time preparing for us to appreciate.

PinkHouse

Many never venture beyond their property boundaries and fight for new things to post as a result. Visiting gardens in your area can be great fun.

No open gardens you say? If you join a garden club or the Master Gardeners, the folks there would be happy to invite you over to see their gardens.Β  Also, public gardens are in every locale, and if not, parks have natural gardens to roam.

PinkHouse-1

Visiting and showing gardens other than one’s own can be a great learning experience for many. I have an endless supply of gardens I can post living in a place that has maybe 1000 gardens open in our region. A number of beautiful gardens are listed in the tab Public Gardens. I hope you enjoy some of the creativity of gardens in Buffalo.

This is a very small urban garden, but one filled to the brim with color and interest. I bet you can get a few ideas for your own garden here. See the heavily planted “hell strip” below? Every inch of space is planted in gardens here, even those spaces owned by the City!

GWB2013

Gardeners in Buffalo are not afraid of bright colors, nor are they afraid of big plants. They paint their homes in lively color and adorn their gardens with vibrant blooms. Many visitors comment that is like these gardeners paint the landscape. Coincidentally, Buffalo is a great place for artists.

PinkHouse-2

Gardeners are creative in how they display flowers and reuse materials for planters. Many of the gardens are quite small, yet read large being heavily planted.

PinkHouse-3

The owners take pride in the gardens they create and each year open them to the public. We are talking thousands and thousands of visitors too, approximately 60,000 visited Garden Walk Buffalo in 2013. Can you imagine opening your garden to thousands?

Chair-Planter

With that many folks visiting, any wonder why gardeners here go all out?

Window-Planter

You may or may not like the style of gardens in Buffalo, but they are unique to this area.

Watering-Cans

This small property packs a big punch.

YellowHouse

Yes, the spruce is poorly sited, but perhaps it will be a Christmas tree in a few years. It does make a nice color and texture juxtaposition to the hydrangea though, especially with the brightly colored yellow house in the background. Deep red/purple always makes a statement in the garden – plums, chokecherries, beech and maple all have varieties that keep the color for the growing season.

FrYdGWB

Visit a garden in your area and bring it out when the snowy weather makes Spring seem distant. Spring is not so far away no matter what the weather brings this March! I can visit these gardens anytime of year!

This entry was posted in garden, Garden Walks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Gardens of Buffalo – 2013

1. What fabulous gardens, Donna! I love how they’re packed with color and texture, with bright walls and “garden art” to match. Lots of energy vibrating in small spaces. And I agree about visiting other people’s gardens. We have several garden tours every year here in Bellingham. On our first visit here–when we were trying to decide where we wanted to move when we retired– there was a tour and it helped decide us. We still look for open gardens wherever we travel. It gives you a whole other angle on people and places. If they haven’t already, the city of Buffalo should hire you to promote tourism and relocation!

• That is such a nice way to think about retirement. Communities that have these garden walks often start caring more about the presentation their home makes to the street and others then do the same. It starts spreading where block after block improves. Then it reaches out further and further into the community and people start talking with their neighbors and a social aspect develops. They start cleaning up neighborhoods and driving out bad elements. I know that is a lot of responsibility, but people do it without thinking or taking credit for what they contribute. They do it because it is right and they want to protect the beauty these neighborhoods create. They do it because a greater sense of caring develops. This was something I learned in architecture and urban planning school. It only takes a place to start and people just do the rest.

2. What a glorious variety to brighten a winter day Donna! Margie

• Thanks Margie. I go to these garden walks all summer and also have a position on a committee planning one. To me it is old hat to a point since I was involved in a few garden walks through the years.

3. meander1 says:

Goodness, what’s not to like…colorful flowers, interesting textures…all the pictures represent someone putting their heart and soul into their love for gardening. I am so impressed with the participation your area gets for their open garden visitation event.. Those numbers are amazing.

• It does take enormous work to put on an event as large as Garden Walk Buffalo, but the residents and visitors love it. It is a wonderful addition to the City. The people who started this walk have much to be proud. They really added a great thing to the City. The Gardenfest I am involved in is in Lewiston and is the second largest garden festival in our area. I will have a post on that one shortly since it is the first to kick off the Garden Walk season in June. I hope the snow is gone by June. πŸ˜€

4. I love to visit other gardens! And state parks … and botanical gardens … and roadsides with wildflowers. You’re right–it gives you an entirely fresh prespective. Thanks for sharing highlights from your tour!

• I think you and I share quite a bit in where we see the beauty in nature. I tend to see it everywhere and as a designer, I do get my fill of being in the gardens of others. I take it for granted sometimes – kinda like the shoe maker not making shoes for his kids. Too much of a good thing often, where being in nature is most relaxing to me. Gardens are work!!!!

5. Lovely and much needed right about now. Thanks

6. mariekeates says:

Peeking over other people’s garden walls is one of the joys of my city walks.

7. Nathalie says:

Beautiful pictures! And I love all the colors! Especially how the houses are painted, and the colors of the plants and flowers mix. Just beautiful!. How is the weather in Buffalo at this time of year? When does spring start over there?

8. I hope your readers from other areas consider coming to the Buffalo area for some part of the National Garden Festival. There’s so much to see and do!

• I know some are planning trips here at some point. There is quite a bit to do here and planning a trip would be a great thing for garden enthusiasts. There is no place anywhere like it.

9. It is evident that the people who created those gardens have put their heart in. Beautiful gardens! πŸ™‚

10. Mac says:

I wish Buffalo wasn’t so far away, I would LOVE to visit!

• It is far for you that is for sure. They had the Garden Bloggers Fling here in July 2010. Next year it is Toronto, which is close to here, but unfortunately, would not likely be around the time of Garden Walk Buffalo in late July. It could be the same weekend as the Garden Festival I work with though which is late June.

11. Annette says:

Alas, I’m delighted to see you surrounded by flowers again, Donna. These icy times were tough alright ;). I find your selection very inspiring and look forward to more. Funny enough, here I also like yellow and pink, a melange I usually don’t fancy.

• I will be posting more gardens now that Garden Walk season is approaching. It is inspiring for people to see this type of gardens since they do use every color know to man in these gardens.

12. You will never run out of gardens to photograph with all those gardeners willing to have so many people tramp through, very generous.

• It is true, and designing gardens has always kept me in gardens. The only problem about posting all these gardens is that the post copy gets repetitive to a point. It becomes all about the pictures after awhile.

13. Phil Lanoue says:

Spring is late this year. What is going on?!
    On March 3 over 50% of the U.S. was at or below freezing. For March 3!?! Crazy

14. I have wanted to visit Buffalo for the Garden Walk ever since I heard about it. I love all the gardens you show here, even though some are not exactly my own style. You make a good point on bloggers not just writing about their own garden – or just about famous gardens, either, for that matter. Before I read this post I started thinking about other local gardens I can write about when the garden season returns: the garden of a neighbor who is a bird enthusiast, the prairie-style garden of a synagogue down the street, and the garden at the Bahai Temple in Wilmette.

• Next year Toronto is hosting the Garden Bloggers. Maybe the Fling will be scheduled where people could extend their trip and hop across the border into Buffalo. It would be a big highlight of any trip. Over 360 gardens to visit over two days. Canada has quite a few too, so maybe they will coordinate with one of their walks.

15. acuriousgal says:

Thank you for that lovely tour of some beautiful gardens. I’m going to venture out to some different gardens too this summer.

16. Our tiny group is looking to do just this. HI has gorgeous gardens we hear, as well as tropical places we can visit . I will share your post with them so I can get them motivated to visit our local places.

• I wish you well in organizing a garden walk. There is a lot of work involved so you might want to enlist a few more members.

• We have a total of 4 and only 3 of us grow anything but we can go to our local public gardens. Portsmouth NH is amazing as is the Arnold Arboretum . I also want to check out the Rose Way in Boston named for Rose Kennedy. Next week I am going into Boston for the Boston Flower Show my Mom is too bad off to join me so for the first time in 45+ years I will go alone. 😦

The pictures are so lovely! It’s nice to hear that the garden walks are in the planning stage–it makes spring seem a little closer than it otherwise feels.

18. catmint says:

I think of my blog as a nature blog, more than specifically a garden blog, so that automatically includes other people’s gardens, public gardens, and also wild, ‘natural’ (if there is such a thing) spaces. I had no idea Buffalo was such an attractive city – I’ve put it on my bucket list. I love the jumble of colours – they really work together.

• Mine too. My tag line is The Greater Garden of Nature, but I do look at the true garden blogs as being about gardens and more gardens. Buffalo is pretty amazing in how many gardeners have grown in number throughout the years.

19. Bruce Goodman says:

My mother gave me that self-same statue of St Francis for my 50th birthday. And somewhere along the line I have lost it. Beautiful photos as always thanks.

20. janechese says:

Ah, refreshing! There is something about these walks that further bring out the creativity-love the plants growing out of the window frame. I find the colours of the houses warm and inviting a pleasant complement to the hues in the garden, like the window boxes too.I know we have walks around here, I think I will try this new activity and take my camera along.

21. bittster says:

I had no idea there were so many people who would be interested in visiting gardens! That’s nice to hear and it really highlights what a success the walk has become. I love the garden pictured. You mention big plants and bold colors, two of my favorites πŸ™‚

22. Remy says:

Hi Donna, Garden Walk Buffalo on FB just linked to your Blog here, very nice! It is funny how being in Tonawanda I know garden/nature photo blogs from around the country and have never seen yours before. You take beautiful pics. I enjoyed looking around your site.

23. So happy to see more of your garden walks Donna…love the bright colors.