Snowy Owl Day with the Birdwatchers

Snowy-Owl3-29

Click to make me much bigger!!!!

One bird I really wanted a photo of has been the Snowy Owl. On our birdwatching trip Saturday, we saw many ducks, Snow Geese, Canada Geese, Tundra Swans, and a couple of hawks, but the owl was the highlight of the cold, windy day.

ice-in-River

The birdwatchers told me this was a female Snowy, being darker than males and having dusky spotting. They never become totally white either. They can find prey that is invisible under a thick blanket of snow. Below, is a Snowy Owl from September 2012 in the post, Helping Wildlife and Bettering the Habitat. Hypnotizing eyes, just thought you might want to see the eyes up close.

snowy-4

We saw some very pretty ducks in our travels, but the three duck images below I saw the day before. In fact I did much better on variety of ducks in my favorite duck locations on Grand Island where I could get a lot closer. I have some more coming up next post.

Long-tailed-Duck

Male Long-tailed Duck

Hooded-Merganser

Hooded Merganser pair

Common-Merganser

Common Merganser

I really enjoy these outings with the Buffalo Ornithological Society, and saw birds I had not seen before like the Snow Geese and a blue-morph Snow Goose. My friend and I were joking that we would sit here for 30 minutes and the goose will never wake up. And guess what? It never did.

blue-morph-Snow-Goose

We traveled quite a distance going from fields to the still frozen shores of Lake Ontario.

Ice-in-Harbor

The ice with crashing waves captured my attention because many ducks were in these choppy waters, bobbing up and down.

Lake-Ontario

Above would be a great, calm place for waterfowl, but it was frozen. Most of the waterfowl we saw were Canada Geese and gulls, far too many to count.

Canada-Geese

Ring-billed-Gull

One of the gulls, one of thousands of gulls.

There were a number of ducks on the Lake, but most at a great distance, like the geese and swans below. Ducks have been having a hard time this winter too. See my post, Not Spring-like Yet – Ducks and the Ice, Oh My!

TundraSwanSnowGeese

Tundra Swan, Snow Geese and Canada Geese in a farmer’s field. For a recap of other birds we saw:

• Greater White-Fronted Geese
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Cackling Goose
  • Red-necked Grebes
  • Horned Grebes
  • Common Loon
  • Northern Pintails
  • a blue-morph Snow Goose
  • Surf Scoter
  • American Coot
  • American Wigeon
  • Eastern Meadowlark
  • Screech Owl and I MISSED IT! It went back in its hole before everyone in the group got there to see it.
  • Bald Eagle and I MISSED IT!
  • In all the group saw 59 different species of birds.

SnowyOwl-2

Waves

Even though the day was rather cloudy and dreary, the views were still nice.

The Snowy you see in this post is one of three I saw this year. This one is here very late and I am sure building up fat reserves to make the long trip back to the tundra region of northern Canada and Alaska.

Snowy

I’ve got my eye on you…

Thursday’s post, No Spring For You – Bird Spring Migration. Dangers of Migration. On Thursday, I am off to a prime birding spot east of here. I hope it is a nice day. Maybe an eagle will appear!!!

This entry was posted in Birds and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Snowy Owl Day with the Birdwatchers

1. Aren’t the snowy owls awesome? I just saw my first snowy owl a couple of months ago down in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, though your images are much better than mine: http://exploratorius.us/2014/01/22/snowy-owls-on-ocracoke/

2. Amanda says:

I just adore owls, and snowies are no exception! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful treat with us.

3. Ah, Donna, how fortunate to be able to see and photograph these creatures, especially this gorgeous Snowy Owl! Wonderful treat for a new month! Happy April and …be alert today! 😉

4. Victor Ho says:

Snowy owl! Harry Potter! Wow, you really saw something special.

5. Sherrie says:

Thank you my dear for helping us all get through one of our toughest winters ever.
    The beauty of your blog kept us warm and entertained all winter long.

6. Beautiful pictures of the Snowy Owl! Lucky for you. Wish I had seen one this year-

7. Looks like you had a good time. I’m glad it feels a little more like spring today.

8. I’ll never tire of seeing a snowy Owl photo & dream of doing so with my own eyes…
    It is so beautiful & blends so poetically with its surroundings one can only wonder at the perfection of nature 🙂

9. alesiablogs says:

I can’t believe how many different ones you saw!

10. So adorable. Love it. 😀

11. My Heartsong says:

i am so happy for you that you got to see this snowy owl and I enjoyed seeing the ducks, too. Snowies have been seen as far south as the Mississippi this year.Good luck on Thursday.

12. Wow! I can’t believe he just sat there for you!

13. How wonderful! One of the birds I have always wanted to photograph is the Snowy Owl…as well. Such a lovely bird, a lovely photo, and a lovely post. So glad you were able to experience the beauty of this bird. I heard there were some in our region, but I missed them. Perhaps next time…. 🙂

14. Great owl pictures – I have never seen a snowy myself. Hope your bird outing goes well!

15. Pat says:

What beautiful captures of the Snowy Owl!

Donna, these pictures are wonderful. The Snowy Owl is an amazing bird. It must have been so disappointing to miss the bald eagle!

17. Gorgeous–especially the snowy owl! Sounds like those birding expeditions are so much fun and great photo ops!

18. I would LOVE to see an owl, any kind. They are so elusive around here.

19. Annette says:

You made me very happy with this owl, Donna! They are among my favourite birds and I’m very happy that we have so many around where we live. Great shots!

20. Indie says:

What an awesome outing, though it looks very cold indeed still! What an amazing and beautiful bird! I really think bird watching makes the long winter much more enjoyable.

21. Denise says:

Very cute and fluffy. Why is she sitting on the ground and not in a tree?

22. bittster says:

The owl is definitely cool. I didn’t realize you saw three this winter, I guess the cold was good for something! Spring migration is awesome, and the range of ducks you saw is impressive. The plumage on them is amazing.
    Frank

23. Alisha says:

I never knew snow exist ..thanks Donna for sucha awesome post

24. Lyle Krahn says:

I love the shot of the snowy owl with the open mouth. Nicely done.

25. You must be in heaven bird watching and seeing all these amazing birds…I would love to see a snowy owl. Gorgeous images of the ice melting too.