Lesser or Greater

Morning-Yellowlegs

Yellowlegs that is.

Morning is clear, bright and plays across the marsh as the temperature changes, the breeze blows cool, and frost kisses leaves and grasses. That is how the day started. Life awakens  grand.

A busy day trolling the peaceful marsh from morning until late afternoon, the bird and me. The day goes through changes, but the activity pretty much remains the same.

Yellowlegs-2

I was told this is a Lesser Yellowlegs, the difference being bird size, and the pointedness and darkness of the beak.

Do I know or even really care? I am more inclined to think in terms of the day, and the day was Greater. The bird, well don’t tell my birdwatching friends. I like knowing if I am right on identification, but I am a little more laid back on being sure when there is subtle differences.

Especially when it is shorebirds, I am not very good at telling them apart. They should be starting to come in soon and are my favorite birds to photograph. Here is a post from last year, Trip Birdwatching with the BOS Members. They are fast little birds as they scurry across the beach and really are a challenge to capture.

Yellowlegs-5

I was thinking about this lone, wading bird, others of its kind not around, it just kept to its business with determination and patience.

Dunking-for-food

Bobbing the head like those old toys from when we were kids. I loved that toy, so it brings back nice memories.

Yellowlegs-3

Remember it hopped along in a staccato motion, stopping to bob its head? I was always by myself with the toy too. Since I have learned…

Naure-Sayings

The sun changed the scene throughout the day, making it a little bit more special as time ticked by.

Fishing

Late afternoon warms the marsh and the hearts of every nature lover. The day goes golden, such a precious form of gold. The very long winter we’ve had here in Western New York has created a noteworthy delay in the arrival of Spring for the natural world, but birding has made the slow transition so much Greater. I’m going for Greater.

Yellowlegs Sunset

I think this bird likes looking at itself. If it only knew how handsome…

Next up, Are You Playing Tourist?

This entry was posted in Birds, Wildlife and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Lesser or Greater

1. Nick Hunter says:

Lovely series of photos. The soft lighting and sparse vegetation compliment the portraits beautifully.

2. Dalo 2013 says:

Beautiful series of photos, really love the 6th shot and the caption…wonderful work.

3. Denise says:

How beautiful! I love it.

4. These are incredible captures. I’m going with Greater too.

5. bittster says:

Beautiful. I love the peaceful feeling the pictures bring. It reminds me of many a quiet evening at the shore with nature and maybe a snack and a drink.

6. Barb says:

Just beautiful, Donna. I love the reflections.

7. My Heartsong says:

Love the angles and tones in these. From what I have read, the greater bill is slightly upturned and two toned but…well, the legs are yellow.

8. Debra says:

Oh these are magnificent shots. Gold and peach. There is no sense of loneliness here at all: it is seamless grace. Thank you.

9. Cute bird, and lots of fun to watch! I enjoyed these photos.

10. randomrose says:

Magnificent photos

11. Lula says:

It’s a beautiful bird and your images are so serene!

12. Ah, my dear Donna, once again you have excelled yourself! Wonderful wonderful post!
    Happy Sunday, my friend! 🙂 xx

13. awesome pictures !!!!

14. apeerless says:

Beautiful post all around. Thank you for sharing. ❤

15. menomama3 says:

Such peaceful, contemplative images. I love the slightly wobbly reflections in the water. Everything looks so still in real life and then on reflection, not so much. A nice visual metaphor – greater, for sure!

16. Patrick says:

OMG Donna. Has to be one of your most beautiful posts, ever. Wish I could blow up a print for my room.

17. A fantastic series of photos. The light is amazing. 😀

18. Annette says:

I’m delighted to meet Yellowleg! Lovely pics, Donna, with these nice reflections. Thanks for introducing me to this bird 🙂

19. alderandash says:

The images are just wonderful – especially, I think, the one of the little bird dipping its beak in to the water, and meeting its reflection…I’ll show my wildlife loving kids tomorrow, they will love it.

You have captured this bird perfectly. It’s delicate legs making quiet ripples in the water…it all looks so peaceful.

21. Wow! These are really lovely shots.

22. Mesmerizing, Donna! I’m imagining these photos in a display at a photography studio. And your post title and writing are the perfect companions to the images. 🙂

23. Awesome photos, Donna! Absolutely gorgeous! Such perfection! Thanks for your post.

24. lulu says:

Just great. I love how you stayed with it and captured the varying moods.

25. Spectacular photos. We need to talk about the fling!

26. anomadlife says:

Beautiful pics!

27. Excellent post and photography Donna! These are great little birds and you have captured them beautifully.

28. Nothing in nature is alone…because everything has parasites! Hahahaha

My grandmother had one of those bird bobbing head toys, and I was always fascinated by it. Your bird does remind me of it! Donna, I am in awe of the wealth of birds in your part of the world and of your ability to get such great shots!

30. Alisha says:

incredible pictures

31. I love birds like this. They have such long legs and just look so funny walking on them. This one is really pretty.

32. Fossillady says:

You got quite a few wonderful shots of him Donna. . .p.s. I promise I won’t tell your bird watcher friends it’s not all that important if it’s the lesser or greater . . . hee!

33. alesiablogs says:

This post is by far one of my favorites of yours. The photos have such clarity. One of my favorite artists is Owen Gromme. You would make him proud. Rest his soul. The reflections in the water are by far my favorite. I saw this also done in your other post.

34. Donna I love how you can take one bird in amazing surroundings and mesmerize us…fabulous reflections.