Birds at Tifft with the Nikon COOLPIX P510

Northern-Flicker

Northern Flicker

I reviewed the Nikon COOLPIX P510 when I went to St. Lucia in 2013, and photographed everything from hummingbirds to scenic landscapes. My post Hummingbird Closeups with the Nikon P510 is still a popular post today.

Squiggles

Canada Goose in Squiggles

I took it out to the marsh today, even though I had my Nikon D7000 in my Jeep. It still is one hot little camera and one complaint from the time I got it is still the same. I have to carry three batteries because it goes through them too fast.

Since I reviewed it last, I found with using it more regularly that I am much better at capturing action, yet it still is a bit slow on auto focusing. There were a few shots I missed, that I would not have with my D7000.

Song-Sparrow-1

Song Sparrow

It works pretty well in low light like the sparrow below. I used manual settings, but leaving it on the auto modes does a nice job as well.

White-throated-Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

I find it somewhat difficult to hold the P510 still when the lens is at full zoom and keep my subject framed, but again, I got better over time. The camera itself is a bit too light in weight.

The autofocus is slow where moving targets become a challenge. It just takes using the camera and getting the practice using it to make these more challenging shots. The image below is a bit grainy but I still got the goose in focus.

Goose-in-FlightP510

In fact, all the images in this post were at full zoom and when you consider that, it makes this camera a great little tool to have.

Red-winged-Blackbird

Red-winged Blackbird

Generally, the image quality is good in everyday photos. You can see below that the subject is focused and the background nicely blurred. It really is handy to have a camera with a 42x zoom. It can reach subjects that I cannot with my 400mm lens. The image of the Flicker at the beginning of the post was at the top of a very tall tree and I would have had trouble getting that shot with the 400mm.

Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Ring-billed-Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Cormorant

Cormorant

Look how the sensor handled a black bird. Black birds are harder to judge exposure.

3-Flickers

Flock of Flickers

The Osprey is blurry, but considering how far it was, I am amazed at what this camera can do.

Osprey4-24-14

Osprey

This bird was the teeny dot in the last post, showing where it lives. I really zoomed.

Male--Ring-necked-Duck

Ring-necked Duck

Nice little camera, no?

This entry was posted in Birds, Nature Preserve and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Birds at Tifft with the Nikon COOLPIX P510

1. alesiablogs says:

Elijah and I are sitting here enjoying your photos. WE are talking about a team effort on a word press post soon where he takes some pictures and I post!!! haha

2. Eulalia says:

beautiful pictures… As always 🙂

3. My Heartsong says:

I like the shots of the birds.Oh, such a relief to see spring.

4. You got amazingly close! Great shots.

5. Debra says:

The lighting on the flicker gives him a kind of regal or otherworldly bearing.

I know just what you mean about photographing black birds. For the past couple of weeks I have been experimenting with taking shots of grackles but I haven’t been happy at all with any of the results. Now I will think deliberately about exposure. Thanks so much for that tip. =)

6. swo8 says:

I thought that was rather large for a hummingbird. There was a woodpecker in our back yard last weekend. Things are looking up.
    Leslie

7. Sue Link says:

Lovely photos as usual, Donna. I liked the flicker in the first photo splaying his tail. That’s an unusual pose for them. They have improved the battery in the CoolPix P520. It comes with its own Nikon Battery recharageable pack. I’ve been pleased with it. Now I just have to learn how to use the camera. hahaha.

8. Great photos! Blessings, Natalie 🙂

9. Donna, it doesn’t seem to matter what camera you use–your photos are always fabulous! Great shots of the northern flickers! We have them around here, too, but you’ve captured them at some interesting angles with great light.

A flock of flickers! How lovely! I’ve only had flickers a couple of times at our feeders.

11. Pat says:

Really nice group of photos.

12. Phil Lanoue says:

Terrific series, those all turned out great!

13. Awesome shots of all the birds. Sounds like an excellent camera. I’d love to get that close of shots of birds. Loved that first photo.

14. A great post. It was interesting seeing what you thought about the camera. I am finding the autofocus on my camera very slow – a mirror less Fujifilm, especially after I dropped and broke the LED screen. I have had issues since I brought it so am interested seeing what others use. Love the Hummingbird. 😀

15. You’ve captured them in such interesting poses! Love them all. Especially the Red-winged Blackbird with one foot on the air or the Ring-billed Gull, the Goose in Squiggles…! 🙂

16. The photos turned out beautifully.

17. Your photos are amazing with any camera. I have the Nikon Coolpix L120 and use it more than any other. It’s the right size to carry around. Love that cute swallow! P. x

18. giselzitrone says:

Sehr schöne Fotos liebe Grüße und ein gutes Wochenende.Gruß Gislinde

19. Great pictures. I love the detail on the one with the white throated sparrow.

20. I agree it is a bit tricky to use until you get used to it, but boy I get some great shots too….of course not as great as yours but I am such a beginner

21. Brilliant – and I particularly love the way you have caught the cormorant, its feather patterns and sheen…
    All the best 🙂