Spring is Warning Us Again

Red-Tulips

This year has been a trying one for much of the country. Currently, the tornadoes and extreme flooding caused by low pressure systems and cold fronts ramming into warm fronts are making some real weather whiplash.

Strange as it seems, global warming has been on hiatus creating debate in the scientific community. Climate models did not predict the harsh winter or the drought that hit California this past winter. The causes have been suggested as ” from stratospheric humidity changes, to the heat escaping into the bottom of the ocean.” Plus, science can not predict when this odd change in weather might come to an end. Considerable knowledge and foresight doesn’t always warn us of things to come.

House-Finch---red-plumage

Because greenhouse gases are continually increasing, science has been scratching its head in order to explain the current weather trend. They suspect that global warming has just “hit the pause button” and will resume at this past rate or greater. Greenhouse gases are either being stored in the ocean, are scattering away more of sun’s energy, or throwing the trapped energy back into space, leading to cooling, but one way or another will likely resume with internal variability causing fluctuation in weather.

Gray-Sparrow

Internal variability is described as “variability of the climate system  (which) is essentially the rich spectrum of timescales in weather and climate that are not directly forced by the daytime and seasonal energy received from the sun.” The “spectrum of timescales” are generated by internal feedbacks in the systems of the earth between the atmosphere, land, ocean and ice, all working to effect what we see as weather and seasonal changes. The frigid winter and drought in California are examples that internal fluctuation is at work according to climatologists.

Helebore

To read more on this by Raghu Murtugudde who is the executive director of the Chesapeake Bay Forecasting System at the University of Maryland Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center and a professor in the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, see his article in LiveScience.

dandelion-in-Phlox

What is certain is that nothing is certain. I find many of the studies and theories are influenced by outcomes the money behind them drives. Some are based on rhetoric and hyperbole, not science. It seems that who makes the most noise and gains the most publicity, helps drive politics and law enactment. Science or no science, climate change is happening and people exposed to the natural world can “feel” it happening.

bee-on-Pear-tree

Humidity increases in the atmosphere are believed to be responsible for extreme rainfall and heat wave events. So what will summer bring? They are still not sure.

Bleeding-Hearts

All things are intertwined in this ecosystem and on earth where each respond to the changes brought, some much faster and more direct than others. Despite scientific evidence of human-made climate change, policy decisions leading to substantial emissions reduction have not been happening quickly enough. In fact recent Gallup polls indicate that Americans were more concerned about the environment in 2007 than they are now. (source) Sad huh?

Yellow-Tulips

Many people see global warming not as a problem for today, but one of the future. This is because most don’t have a direct experience or have tangible proof they can understand firsthand.

Goldfinch-Yellow-Plumage

Whether we choose to understand, I believe the creatures of this planet do see where things are headed. Having to depend more directly for food and shelter, they understand the difficulties that lie ahead.

Female-Goldfinch

They can see their populations in decline, their habits destroyed and a livable world shrinking around them. We don’t see it because we make the world conform to our needs, not us to what the world offers us.

HouseFinch5-1-14

Albert Schweitzer said, “Man has lost the capacity to foresee and to forestall. He will end by destroying the Earth.” If alive today, he might have made the statement in reference to global warming and climate change, rather than nuclear proliferation. He felt that all of nature was sacred and worthy of reverence. Too bad most of us don’t.

Red-Tulips-2

The plant images in this post were from late March and early April 2012. The birds from April 30th, 2014. Still not a lot to show because of the winter that never seemed to end.

This entry was posted in garden, Weather and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Spring is Warning Us Again

1. If only more people thought the same way he did about nature. I hope Nature will show mercy on us… Your posts are always insightful in a beautiful way! 🙂

2. debibradford says:

Very profound … and depressing in many ways. A great post – thank you for this.

3. Very interesting and thought provoking. I just read an article that stated humankind sees the natural world these days “like a meth-head sees a medicine cabinet”. I thought this was an interesting and unusual, but sadly correct metaphor.

Thanks for the great photos, they take the sting out of the heavy, slightly depressing topic of global warming/climate change.

4. Debra says:

Thanks again for the eye candy — especially of the birds I just never see here. I think people can get confused by weather fluctuations but the overall trend is certain.

Unfortunately, with all the talk about the real dangers of climate change many have forgotten the also real danger of nuclear accidents or even intended use. In fact, because it is off everyone’s radar it may pose a worse threat. The countries that have nuclear weapons are the ones who would consider using them. There also was a recent accident that kind of highlights not only our lack of awareness but also the poor state of nuke storage and maintenance safety. Buried deep in the article link below is one line that is kind of terrifying: “Eight cylinders of nuclear waste that were shipped here around the time of the accident are still waiting to be buried.”

5. Very insightful article, Donna. I wish more people were more concerned with global warming, and the loss of natural habitats for our wildlife.

6. Phil Lanoue says:

I see many changes in regards to animal, bird, life etc. but find those to be more of a factor of loss of habitat and other similar human incursions then any type of climate issue.
    Plus these things tend to be cyclical anyway so although it may be human nature to wish to assign a quick easy blame or explanation on almost any condition, it’s not really that simple I don’t believe.

7. alesiablogs says:

This statement may say it all: “What is certain is that nothing is certain. ” This is the real story of mankind and it is why I believe in living and taking care of those things around me the best I know how and that includes my little environment or piece of land I own. As much as I care about the global environment and taking care of our earth, I can only do my part. It inspires me to see folks that know the impact of footprint is detrimental to this earth. It is really ignorant to not notice. I would not call myself an environmentalist at all, but more a lover of nature. I do my part and just hope others would do theirs.

8. Love your bird photos. Weather is certainly unpredictable, would be a shame to lose our fauna and flora while we are sleepwalking through life….. 😦

9. Everything you say is so true. The really harsh realities of climate change may actually occur in our own future, as opposed to that ignorable future future, because things are happening so fast. Al Gore knew what he was talking about all those years ago when he was in the Senate, but everyone made fun of him. No wonder our leaders are afraid to take the actions we desperately need.

10. You are right, the Albert Schweitzer statement could have referred to global warming. Very scary. Love the bee on pear blossom. You seem to be ahead of me in blooms — I always think this shouldn’t be as I am so much further south, but I guess it’s all about the elevation. When will you be in PA? Maybe we could meet up. P. x

11. giselzitrone says:

Wunderschöne Bilder wünsche ein gutes Wochenende.Liebe Grüße Gislinde

12. Hi Donna, great post. I liked the way you describe the creatures as being aware of the change around them. I agree that we cannot see that because we will cause more changes to accommodate our needs whatever comes our way. This will go on until nature we can no longer change the world, and then I guess we can only perish. The sad part is that we know this now, and yet nothing is being done. In a way we too are helpless (passive) watching our own destruction.

13. Jennifer says:

We still have cold weather here. I would say that the garden is about a month behind. I am wondering too what summer will bring weather wise. Will it be as hot as last year? Climate change has certainly made the weather more unpredictable than ever!

14. I am worried about the climate changes and we are seeing them for sure with extreme storms and weather…so cold here for May.

15. bittster says:

People don’t look at these changes from a perspective that allows them to see what’s really happening, they see changes over a few years or a winter and they make all these assumptions and opinions. That’s just what they are though, opinions, and that’s why it’s so important to look at the science. The earth is warming, and ecosystems will adapt and change with it… it’s people who will have the most trouble, with the costs of moving, more expensive resources, and storm damage… so when we ignore it, we’re only selling off our futures and hurting ourselves and our children.
    The hardest part is trying to do your thing and feeling like it’s such a miniscule drop in the bucket.

16. Rose says:

An excellent post, Donna! I don’t get involved very often in political issues, because I usually feel so helpless or they just plain make me mad. But I don’t see how anyone, whether they believe in global warming or think it’s a hoax, cannot see the damages we have inflicted on this planet. I may stick my head in the sand (actually, the garden) at times, but I try to do what I can to preserve a healthy habitat in my little corner of earth.

17. Brian Comeau says:

Very well written and articulated. It’s sad that more people don’t care or are complacent about what we are doing.