Work It Bees – Do the Waggle

SpringBees-4

Happy to see the bees back at work, yet it has been a bit cold for them until recently. Flowers are blooming now that spring finally decided to come our way.

Pasque

The bees are buzzing in the 70Β° temperatures, working the flowers from morning until night.

SpringBees-2

Filling up those pollen sacks…going back to the hive to waggle dance.

Phlox

I have no idea where these bees are living, but they are making good use of the garden flowers.

SpringBees

The garden is filled with Muscari and the bees are happy it is. I bet they are waggling up a storm before an attentive crowd of foragers.

MuscariPatch

Flowers are plentiful in spring from the yellow dandelion, colorful crocus to flowering fruit trees. Come late summer into fall it is the asters and goldenrod. Mid-summer, it is harder finding abundant patches of flowers because agricultural farming means there are fewer wildflowers in the countryside for bees.

anemone

The waggle dance sends bees to where the flowers are blooming with rich nectar. We look at bees as so industrious, but bees don’t waste valuable time and energy traveling aimlessly to find food if they don’t have to.

SpringBees-1

See you guys all summer as the blooms keep on blooming. My garden will keep you waggling.

daffs-2014

SpringBees-3

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Work It Bees – Do the Waggle

1. Only honeybees do waggle dances though…

• I do know that, but thanks for mentioning it. I don’t get many honeybees here, most are native bees. My post was just a tongue in cheek kind of post. Happy they are here and the restaurant is open all season long.

2. Great shots! They’re lovely.

3. Elizabeth says:

How beautiful the grape hyacinth is at such a close range! I thought I had lost mine to the squirrels, but they are back again this year!

4. Pat says:

Beautiful shots of these busy little creatures.

5. We use to have honey bees but very few now. I have to count on the bumble bees and they are fewer each year.

6. I am so stinking jealous of your ability to capture all the beauty that is all around you. Some folks think they have to fly somewhere far away or trek countless miles to find something worthy of photographing. But you have the gift of finding beauty wherever you are. Thx for sharing.

7. Debra says:

Love the closeups. Great pictures of their pollen sacs. I heard that bees have favorite colors.

8. Annette says:

Hi Donna, it’s a great joy to see these beautiful pics and that spring has finally come your way! Hope these squirrels of yours are finally behaving. Enjoy the good times!

• Oh those squirrels!!!! They will not let the birds feed and it is driving me crazy. They even have their own critter mix too, the greedy bunch. Spring is finally making an entrance. I was hiking today and the wild fruit trees are all in bloom. Bees are buzzing them too.

9. writeejit says:

Great photos. And always happy to hear and see the honeybees. Every day when I take my spoonful of local honey to ward off seasonal allergies, I’m thankful for the little insects. And when I see the acres of apple orchards and produce fields around us, I know how imperative it is that they make it through another winter to pollinate the crops.

10. Cute title! I agree–they are so fun to watch and so critical to our food supply and ecosystems! I’m helping to plant some pollinator gardens next to food pantry gardens next week and I’m very excited about it!

11. That’s one buzzing happy garden!!!! πŸ™‚ Have a beautiful and creatively buzzing weekend, Donna!

12. Great pictures. We have some of the same flowers in bloom, like the Muscari. They also seem very fond of the bluebells. I hope the wild bee populations around here are not greatly reduced due to the bad winter.

• The native bees are in decline, especially bumblebees. Only so much we gardeners can do. I did notice all the native bees on the blooming fruit trees. Most likely they are the digger bees.

13. I love bees and your photos of them are great. Blessings, Natalie πŸ™‚

14. alesiablogs says:

Donna,
    I took a little time to study your posts on the camera. It will be nice to get some tips from you. I have a lovely camera shop 5 minutes from my home and I could check and see if they have lessons. Maybe after we speak, I can figure out some basics so as to not “mess” things up with my own simple photography!

15. Enjoyed the info and photos. Especially the related ‘coffee break bee’ article!
    peace

16. Rose says:

Beautiful photos! The Muscari are lovely; I didn’t realize the bees liked them, too. The bees have been slow to come out this spring, but I’ve finally been seeing them doing their dance in the garden–a welcome sight.

17. Jet Eliot says:

Fantastic photos, Donna. It is clear you have sweet intimacy with your garden. πŸ™‚

18. My Heartsong says:

Good close ups on the flowers and bees. What are those little purple bunches of flowers-oh muscari? I have seen those here and lovely yellow tulips with brilliant red stripes. it is starting toget green and the leaves are coming slowly, though we are still getting a few little flurries-think we are a little behind this year.

19. Stunning fun pictures Donna..great to see the pollinators dancing in your garden.

20. Eulalia says:

Love your pictures!

21. Alisha says:

awesome pictures

Wow! These pictures are spectacular. I particularly like the first one.

Fabulous shots! Bees really are fascinating creatures.

24. Lyle Krahn says:

The blue and bees works so well together and the captures just make the bees pop!