Keep the Faith Feathered Friends

Baltimore-Oriole-Male

Baltimore Oriole

We need beauty in this world.

Robin

American Robin

Are we killing the environment? Or is it now killing us? Just the question for the day.

Oriole

Baltimore Oriole

GrosbeakMale

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

We have been so warned… that the convergence of food, water and energy crises could create a ‘perfect storm’ within about fifteen years. Well, just maybe. Would that not be a royal bummer? Also factor in unabating population growth, climate, melting icecaps, the plight of pollinators, detrimental agricultural practices, and excessive energy extraction and consumption. Oh well, it seems that the gloomy reports just never end predicting the timeline of our demise or that of some of Earth’s creatures…

Red-winged-Blackbird

Red-winged Blackbird

Raising questions about the sustainability of modern civilization and its ability to continue.

Catbird

Cat bird

Birdwatching has been a welcome distraction to all the bad news being written about the environment as of late, but it also has been a hobby bringing it to the forefront. It helps to make one more aware of the importance of the many obstacles that face humanity by just seeing what is worth protecting besides ourselves.

Cat-bird-2

Cat bird

Are things not quite as bad as they seem, or are they getting worse? Hard to tell from all the reports.

Female-Purple-Martin

Female Purple Martin

The only way to not think about these things is not to follow the studies published.

Tree-Swallow--Blue-Male

Tree Swallow

Tree-Swallow

Tree Swallow

But a head in the sand – – – suffocates.

Bluebird

Bluebird

Unfortunately, the responsibility falls to billions of us to make the trillions of decisions of change. I guess we just keep the faith.

Bluebird-2

Bluebird

Pretty birds make me smile, and more smiling is needed throughout the world. Would the world not be just a bit better off if we all keep smiling?

I am headed to eastern Pennsylvania (after just returning from western PA where a few of the birds in this post were taken at Presque Isle) and this and all the following posts will be scheduled until my return. No internet where I am staying at my cousin’s mountain house. I hope to have some pretty images from there when I return. Keep smiling!

This entry was posted in Birds, garden and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Keep the Faith Feathered Friends

1. Mary Oros says:

Hi Donna, I love your blog. I’m pretty sure the bird you are calling a brown headed cow bird is a cat bird. I have them at by feeder.

2. Elizabeth says:

Oh the patience you must have to capture these incredible shots! I tried getting a few of the bumblebees that were snacking on the azalea one morning last week – very frustrating! I need a new lens – there’s my excuse du jour!

3. Debra says:

Love their expressions! These are a few of the reasons why we can’t give up hope. =)
    It really does sound fringe but the inevitable result of being unsustainable is collapse. You can’t be a little bit pregrant or a little bit unsistainable: it is an on/off switch. I just hope that some good will come of it.

4. Anita says:

Your beautiful photos brought me to your blog, but your thoughtful commentary keeps me here. Thank you. At this point in time, mankind must decide collectively and individually if we are at ‘the Great Turning Point’ or at ‘the Great Unraveling Point’. Let’s get our act together!

5. All I know is the second one is a robin. Great photos!

6. Pat says:

So many beautiful birds.
    I’m envious of your Baltimore Oriole as I have been stalking one here for the past week. I hear him and have caught a couple of fleeting glimpses, Although grape jelly, nectar and orange halves are out for the taking, I haven’t been able to capture him with my camera.

7. Thoughtful commentary on these issues and the photos are beautiful. I agree with Anita (comment above)! And I loved how you got the photo of the rump of the catbird. A major distinguishable characteristic, but not often seen.

8. alesiablogs says:

Maybe we need reminders everyday from our bird friends as they sing to us their songs for free. Why not help as humans to do our part? Even if is just a listening ear and a humble heart.

9. It moat certainly would be a much better place if we all smiled more. I agree with you and you are making sure we keep doing just that! Thank you, Donna! πŸ™‚

10. Donna, no words for the beauty of these captures. Wow. Sigh. I need to get out my watercolors and try to render one of these. Gorgeous!

11. cindy knoke says:

exquisiteness! bravo~

12. milliontrees says:

Hi Donna, I think you will find this op-ed in the NY Times interesting because you often get comments along these lines to which you respond as I would about letting nature β€œsort things out for itself.” http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/the-truth-about-sparrows/?_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OP_TTA_20140516&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=2&

Have a nice trip and enjoy the break from the electronic world.

13. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

14. bittster says:

Enjoy your trip, Eastern Pa is just starting to green up and look nice again so it’s a good time to visit. I’m going to hope there’s no perfect ecological storm brewing, the financial storms do enough damage on their own as they go up and down with the costs of energy.

15. acuriousgal says:

Perfect photos, as always!! I will do my part to try to lesson the damage to this planet. Thanks for keeping me on track. Enjoy your visit with your cousinπŸ™‹πŸ™‹

16. Annette says:

You made my day with these fabulous bird images, Donna. As for the planet, don’t worry too much. We can’t change the direction mankind has chosen and Mother Earth is well able to look after herself and will spit us out when the moment has come. Until then let us live in harmony with nature and treasure the beauty surrounding us. But I think you do that already.

17. My Heartsong says:

So true, birding has made me aware of the environmental concerns but is a joy as well that relieves stress. I love the Baltimore oriole, the colour is delightful. I have not seen one in years.All the images are great and I thank you for sharing them!

Your bird images are stunning, and they make me smile! Enjoy your vacation. I have faith that with time that the environment can heal from man’s reckless assault… excepting nuclear war, which is the greatest threat to ourselves as well as the environment. I do my part in my little corner of the world, and I do not worry about that which is beyond my control.

I certainly hope our environment can survive what we’re doing to it–and that we’ll learn our lesson. Have a wonderful time in the mountains! Thanks for sharing this important message and these beautiful pictures with us.

20. Indie says:

What beautiful pictures! I used to be one of those oblivious people who didn’t really pay much attention to all the environmental studies – then I became a gardener. Seeing all the little lives that the garden and the surrounding environment supports makes you care so much more about it. Have a great trip!

21. I hope your trip was a pleasant one….I hope to be travelling in late fall and winter…by then I will have my legs back under me. I agree we need to smile and the birds bring such heartfelt delight. Your pictures are amazing.