Lewiston GardenFest Gardens

Garden-11

Another successful Lewiston GardenFest is under the belts of the hardworking committee. I bet you garden readers don’t get to many garden walks or open gardens in your area, as this area was one of the first in the country to have gardens open as a summer long event. It is also the largest concentration of open gardens in the country.

Garden-2

Garden-3

As one to help organize, I can tell you firsthand it is a lot of work. Most of my work is very early in the season, creating the poster, advertisements, and promotional materials such as handouts. I create the website fresh each year, then when the event ends, I wipe it all out except for the homepage to thank all those visiting and making the event successful. In addition, I create personalized thank you cards for all the open gardens. Since I am the “event photographer”, I also document the event for next year’s website and photos for newspaper articles next year. This year I also wrote an article for the local newspaper called Herbal Help for Butterflies. Phew, I have to say I had a busy year so far.

Checkers

Busy, where I am the one needing to sit and relax in the garden.

Garden-4

This post shows the backyard seating at some of the gardens open to the public.

Garden-5The garden below is a train garden. I may show you more of this later. It stretched the length of the large property. Since I was going around with my camera, looking official in my GardenFest apron, I got invited back into this private area not open to the public. It really was interesting to see. Train and miniature gardens are popular in our area.

Garden-6

Gardens in this area are much different than the city gardens of Garden Walk Buffalo. Mostly, it about space. City gardens have very little space, but can have as many or more plants than many of the town and village gardens. So let me show you where they might be similar. It is in the entertaining areas.

Garden-7These are small gardens above, yet they all like to have pretty places to entertain guests and friends.

Garden-9Some gardens are larger and can accommodate multiple seating areas.

Garden-10Some are fenced and others flow from garden to garden. The 18 homeowners were very gracious to open the gardens and welcome the public. They deserve our sincere thanks and appreciation.

Garden-1

This entry was posted in garden, Lewiston GardenFest and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Lewiston GardenFest Gardens

1. Loving the arm chair gardening – Beautiful Captures 🙂 Happy Weekend!

2. Very nice. Our Master Gardener Program has a tour similar to this but only for one weekend. Ours was 2 weeks ago. Very nice post and pics. Thanks!!😀

3. Beautiful gardens! and photos! You certainly keep busy enough with all the work you do! Thanks for sharing!

4. acuriousgal says:

Why can’t I live in your area…how fun! So very thoughtful of those garden owners to let the public enjoy their work. I’m sure they are all very proud though, as they should be. Love that little birdhouse in the first pic too

5. Wow, you have been busy, Donna! I’m glad it was a success, although I imagine just about anything you work on is successful. Beautiful gardens! Now it’s time to put your feet up for a few days and sip some iced tea or lemonade. 🙂

6. Annette says:

How rewarding to be involved in such an event. It’s such a joy to see how different the different plots are. No two are similar never mind the same and you can always pich an idea even if some may not be your cup of tea. Bet the exchange is great!

7. Thanks for sharing your photos. In Western New York, there are so many gardens open to the public that there just isn’t enough time to see them all!

8. Rebecca says:

Today actually, my husband and I will be going on a Garden Tour in our City – Fort Wayne, IN. It’s really humid and going to be hot – so I’m wearing loose clothing and packing a LOT of water. Thanks for showing the beautiful gardens. We were in Buffalo a few years ago – thanks to your coverage of the wonderful “walks” there!

9. Roger Brook says:

Open gardens are a big thing over here in the UK and increasingly villages and small towns have multiple gardens open in the locality on the same day. They are not all conventional gardens and some are quite eccentric. One I remember was just a display of old agricultural equipment and garden tools and no plants whatsoever other than grass!

10. My Heartsong says:

I love the gardens in the front yard that run along the perimeter but curve around the edges, as in fourth from the last.It is wonderful that people take so much pride in their homes and yards, are so creative and are so welcoming to the public. We have a “communities in bloom” competition here in Edmonton and I know there are garden tours that I would like to go on, since you have inspired me. You are a very busy woman and so many places here have beautiful spots to sit and rest,so rest a while and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

11. Mac says:

I would so love to come and visit.
    I was intrigued to see that ‘train gardens’ are popular in your area. Love it!

12. Busy sounds like an understatement, however I’m sure you are ‘garden walking’ with a big smile, as I am looking at them! Happy weekend, my dear! 🙂

13. lucindalines says:

Oh so beautiful and such great ideas. I love that train garden, I sure hope you put more of that on in the future. I live quite close to the area that was the line for the Soo St. Marie which went through a few of the little towns in our area. They always thought it would cross the Missouri and go to the Black Hills, but they never got the bridge approved or some such thing. Anyway, I have always wanted to do something in the yard with trains. Love your photos.

14. lucindalines says:

Reblogged this on lucindalines and commented:
    Donna;
    Hope it is ok, but I want to reblog your post so that my sisters and daughters can have a peak. The gardens are so beautiful, I was hoping it would inspire us on adding some pieces to some property we have. Thanks for sharing and all of your hard work on that garden show.

15. Indie says:

Wow, that does sound like a lot of work! It’s so great that you and other organizers do this, though, as I’m sure so many people appreciate being able to visit such lovely gardens. That train garden sounds so intriguing – I’d love to see more pics of it!

16. The garden photos were so amazing. I always find so much detail that inspires and pushes me think in new directions. My head will be busy for weeks in that ‘what if’ mode. Please extend my gratitude for those who allowed you to photograph such private spaces.

17. Some fabulous spots to sit and enjoy the summer blooms!

18. bittster says:

I hope you can sit down for a breather now! The pictures are great and I love that many of the gardens are unique creations done by the owner, and are full of all the personal touches that make it their own.
    I wouldn’t mind stopping to sip a cold beverage in any of those seating areas!

19. igardendaily says:

Wow, the entire summer! That is generous! Our local garden tour is very just a day and there is so much that goes into it, it should be for longer but I really don’t think HO would do it. You must have some very kind folks there that love gardening and want to help others get going. I really like many of the seating areas. All different but welcoming and comfy looking. I also notice so many grand-size trees in your area gives such a different feel than our local area. I have not heard of train gardens but miniature fairy gardens are popular in my area. Thanks for sharing and for working with this event! Great for the community I’m sure.

20. Lots of creativity there.