Garden Progress- July 10, 2014

Back-garden-7-8-5

I really get a brownie point for remembering my weekly garden update this week. Eight days ago was the last post and things do change as I told you last week. When working with perennials, change is a given. Sometimes, perennials will last only a few days to a week dependent on species or weather, so looking at a garden monthly is not necessarily a good indicator of how a garden performs.

Foliage color can be important when not much is in bloom and so is the varying shades of green. I have a Japanese Maple which adds the deep red in summer, the crabapple adds the deep red in spring. Lots of hosta add leaf interest too.

In this area, colorful gardens are king. Garden Walk Buffalo is a trendsetting event with colorful and bloom filled gardens on every street. They have almost 400 gardens open for two days all vying for attention by the thousands and thousands of garden visitors. My garden is in Niagara Falls which is 30 miles from Buffalo.

From every angle, you can see the back garden in this post. The lilies are now blooming and will continue for about two to three weeks. Coming up next, the hydrangea. The bed is really non-stop through the fall.

White-Lilies-7-8Later blooming pink lilies will follow the whites and yellows. Oriental lilies end the bloom season.

BackYard7-10-14-8One thing about small space gardening, is the sequence of bloom. I use a lot of bulbs to ensure this because many perennials will only last a few weeks at most, then you are generally left with foliage on the decline. Some will last up to a month like coreopsis.

Coreopsis The Monarda also lasts about a month if kept moist.

Back-garden-7-8-3

The roses bloom in cycles starting in spring and finishing covered in snow.

Iceberg-Rose

BackYard7-10-14-7

Bk-Garden7-8-14-1

Bk-Garden-7-8-2

I often keep my full sun containers in partial shade to full shade when the temperatures rise. This year so far it has been weather more consistent to what it was like before the droughts.

ContainersRain has been weekly, but unfortunately has been like a monsoon this week. No damage, but sheets of rain were pushed with high wind. Another long blooming plant is seen above to the left. It is Calamintha nepeta, a very aggressive self-seeding perennial.

Daylily-BasketThis is the side garden with all the bell flower seen last garden post. The bell flower will continue to bloom after being cut back, and through it grows daylilies to add the interest and carry the season.

Back-Garden7-8

Bk-Garden-7-8-14

The front garden is also blooming strongly.

Fr-Garden-7-8-14-2

Beside the Perovskia is hibiscus which blooms much later. Also goldenrod is growing tall. It is a plant I have to keep under control. Hyssop is also just starting and by next week it should be in flower. Always something blooming.

FrontGarden-7-8Much is still the same as last week, but now the shasta daisies, Leucanthemum and asters are coming into bloom. I have both yellow and white varieties of Leucanthemum.

Pink-lilies-7-8

The wind toppled the Delphinium. I had them hooped but the wind collapsed the hoop too.

Fr-Garden7-8-14-4

Daisies have differing heights and are in both the front and back gardens. At one time I had an all daisy garden, plants with the daisy form, but not necessarily daisies.

Phlox-daisy

Fr-Garden-7-8-14Poppies are in bloom.

Orange-Poppies

In the next few weeks, I will be showing garden walk gardens. Be ready for some color!

Bluebirds on Nature and Wildlife Pics. Do you like bluebirds? The question is. “Where are They on the Popularity Scale?”

Incoming-Bee

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Garden Progress- July 10, 2014

1. alesiablogs says:

Some really great shots!

2. Rebecca says:

Oh, my! So full & colorful! I admire the way you’ve maximized your space.

3. My Heartsong says:

So much colour and at different heights, too. I could hang out here for hours studying the blooms and taking photos. Such good info for gardeners to grasp hold of to keep their gardens interesting all season.

4. Great pics and a beautiful garden, Donna. Very lovely!!!

5. acuriousgal says:

I am in looooove with your garden…don’t hate me cause I’m jealous!!

6. I love all the colors in your gardens. They blend so nicely together. It looks like your poppy might make it after the problems you had earlier with them! The last photo with the bee on the daisy was amazing!

7. Julie says:

You have a lovely garden Donna with lots of healthy colourful plants too. 400 gardens open in 2 days, how do you choose which to visit?

8. Annette says:

How vibrant and happy! You certainly have a love for hot and lively colours and they work so well together. Beautiful phlox and lilies – are they scented? Doy ou get regular rain in summer? Phlox are quite thirsty.

9. What, you mean even more color than this wonderful color burst?!!!!!
    Wishing you a happy and colorful weekend, Donna! 🙂

10. Gorgeous color! I think I have to get some lilies.

11. I like to think I got to know you a bit better through the photos of your garden.
    My kinda garden – my kinda gal!
    😉
    Would love to steal away some time surrounded by this slice of paradise. Great work of (he)art.

12. Looking lovely as usual. I wish I could grow delphiniums. Is that phlox in full bloom, seems early?

13. Alisha says:

Donna all pictures are breathtaking..thanks for sharing..

Oh it’s so beautiful! I love seeing how your garden changes from week to week. 🙂

15. You have a very beautiful garden. It takes a lot of work to get it to this point. Keep up the great work and let us enjoy it through your pictures.

16. Beautiful Captures – love, love, love the last capture 🙂 Happy Weekend!

17. Look at all those colors + blooms! That’s breathtakingly beautiful!

18. I have to get up there sometime and photograph your garden!

19. Debra says:

sigh. So much beauty. and a little jealousy here. I LOVE monarda and used to grow it in Canada but it just won’t cooperate for me here. hahaha Thank goodness for the internet: I can at least see it again.

20. So many bright bloom colors all working together…my delphs always seem to topple and grow sideways no matter what i do. Love that purple phlox…great color. The weather has been great actually. Not too many hot days.

21. bittster says:

I love all the color, and your hanging baskets are still amazing. I love the one color blends you picked this year.
    If it’s any consolation, your delphinium looks much better than mine. The last wind storm beat it to the ground.

22. Love how the delphiniums look like they have swooned on to the daisies. Jealous of all your lilies. I have the strangest thing happening with my orienpet lilies. I planted five bulbs last fall. They all came up, and each has a HUGE flower bud, but they are all dwarves – like 2′ tall. Is that strange or what? Oh, and I have a brownie point AND a gold star for you.