When something gets too big or goes in too many directions, splitting it up seems the right move to make. Here on GWGT, many different subjects are discussed when the tag line is The Greater Garden of Nature. So naturally…
I divided GWGT and sent off some of the nature and wildlife postings, also some of the better photographs. Not that quality will be lessened for GWGT, it will just be more narrowly focused. The new blog is Nature and Wildlife Pics, a blog looking a bit more closely into nature.
So Why the Great Divide?
1. To focus content for different interests or readers looking for specific topics or images. Today a web search for “gold dragonflies”. Example
2. To showcase some of my better photos. A web search on “best nature photos”, I was quite surprised this search ended up on a new blog. Example
3. To have personal and entertaining stories. Web search “funny things in nature”, also odd to have such a general search term find its way to a new blog. Example
4. To express thoughts and opinions about nature. Web search,”thoughts on nature”. This one occurs in GWGT from time to time. Example
5. To find new ways to see the ordinary in the nature we see everyday, but always don’t really see. Example
6. To capitalize on web searches.
Over time, I hope Nature and Wildlife Pics gets popular. It needs to post often at first and start getting a following. That is also a surprise that people are signing up so quickly. Now if they would only comment. That is one problem with photo blogs, many may view the images, but few comment. Photo bloggers also give out a lot of WP Likes.
I did learn something new about WP blogs having two blogs I am currently running. I found out that in the WP reader, where blogs I follow and those that follow me reside, you can click on a post to read it right in the reader. Some offerings of the Reader will show the entire post but others only show the first image or so. I always assumed reading a full post in the reader and then commenting generated a view. I was wrong.
My blogs are set to only read a few sentences in the Reader. This was to ensure viewers would click to read further. But I found out clicking to leave a comment on a truncated post goes through. Can you see why this is not ideal?