Lake Ontario at Sunset – The Lewiston GardenFest Comes to a Close

Sunset-Lake-Ontario

The sun sets on another year of GardenFest planning. The Lewiston GardenFest was a great success.

Toronto-at-SunsetToronto 30 miles across Lake Ontario.

I was at the last meeting of the year for the Lewiston GardenFest committee at this location in the photos. One of our members has a summer lake home along Lake Ontario.

After a very successful event this year, it was decided to have our 10th Annual Lewiston GardenFest in 2015. It is a lot of work planning and putting on this event, but it is also a lot of fun.

Sun-Setting

I was wondering if any gardeners out there are involved in event planning like this? Are you members of the Master Gardeners or local garden clubs? Do you volunteer at your city’s botanical gardens?  Do you work in design, landscaping or horticulture?

I don’t always talk about things I do garden related, but was curious if others do activities other than just their own gardens. I do many of these things and working with others is far more rewarding than working solo in my own garden. I don’t think I would find continued gratification and interest without all these other activities. Variety is the spice of life they say and I fully believe that saying. Inspiration comes from new and exciting experiences.

Lake-Ontario-Shore

One of the projects I did to end the event was to produce thank you cards for the open garden participants. The women on the committee never saw the cards before they were sent out and asked if I could post them so they could see. Also, the homeowners could see the cards of the other participants.

So here is a slide show of the 5 x 7.5 inch watercolor renditions of the 19 properties and gardens. I did these similar to other art I have shown on this blog. This link shows backyard birds. Other paintings I have done are from scratch. Not Lying, the Digital Lion Painting is Real. Also my favorite, Digital painting Process – Red-Tailed Hawk.

The Train Garden Containers is up on Thursday. I had to revise the schedule to get this post in for my Garden Club friends. I hope garden readers found it interesting. On Nature and Wildlife Pics, a pond with pink lotus that is just beautiful along with the GARDEN where it is located.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This entry was posted in Art, garden, Garden Clubs and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Lake Ontario at Sunset – The Lewiston GardenFest Comes to a Close

1. Closing with such a beautiful sunset over Lake Ontario…
    Donna, what a slideshow! Hats off to this brilliant brilliant work! 🙂
    A very happy Wednesday, my dear! 🙂

2. gardengirl92 says:

Your cards are beautiful Donna! Congratulations on a successful Gardenfest. I don’t do much with other gardeners, but am planning a quilt show for April 2015 with my quilt club. I’m in charge of putting together gift baskets to raffle off and will be setting up the boutique table where we sell our own handmade items during the show. I agree, it is much more rewarding and inspiring to share something we love with others.

3. Jardin says:

Lovely!
    And I agree, working in collaboration with others on a voluntary basis is very rewarding. I’ve been involved in various gardening community initiatives in Dublin and when living in England. Lots of hard work but worth it!

4. Donna, your digital watercolor paintings were amazing! Wow!
    Loved the photos of the sunsets, too. My husband and I volunteer to take care of the gardens at our (seasonal) church that we attend. So between tending gardens at our house, our camp, and a local church we keep busy.

5. Those cards look great. And the photos along the lake make me feel as if I’m there.

6. For a couple of years I participated in a garden walk that featured gardens with an emphasis on native plants. Sadly that event is no longer held. There is a local garden walk but after going twice I stopped for a number of reasons. I would be interested in an alternative garden walk with a greater emphasis on gardens that are not very high end.

7. I loved your pictures! I am a novice gardener. I have a veggie garden, and a water garden with beautiful koi. It has some beautiful perennials planted around it to attract bees and butterflies.

8. My Heartsong says:

That was very nostalgic for me, seeing Toronto across the lake. I grew up 30 miles east of Toronto. It was nice to see the slide show of the hosts’ homes, good for them for opening their yards to guests and for you doing what you do.Yes, it is rewarding to give back.

9. Donna-your photos of the sunset over the lake and your cards are so lovely. One of the highlights of my gardening career was being a participant in the local garden tour. Besides enjoying guests in my own gardens, seeing all the other participants different garden styles was such an amazing experience. Now I regularly visit all the local botanical and estate gardens.

10. Love the lake shots! I find that doing other garden related activities brings a little more diversity to my garden and expands my gardening knowledge. I am very involved in numerous Master Gardener activities including a spring and fall expo, garden walk, newsletter & JMG. It is very rewarding volunteer work! But I also, love touring gardens and getting inspiration from what others have done. There is always more to learn…

11. Brian Comeau says:

Donna, that second image of a silhouetted Toronto is spectacular! You did an awesome job with the composition.

12. The beautiful photos of the lake are a perfect ending to the Gardenfest Donna and your watercolor cards are lovely. One of my most memorable gardening experiences was when my own gardens were part of a local garden tour. Now I frequent local arboretums and estate gardens as much possible. Congratulations on a successful event!!

13. catmint says:

I agree that it is not enough just to work alone in one’s own garden, although if I don’t manage to spend time in the garden, I miss it terribly. Practically get withdrawal symptoms. Love the paintings and am in awe of your energy.

The cards of lovely! I’m not surprised you have so many talents. Thanks for sharing it with us!

15. Love the watercolor cards/slideshow. Wow! Sounds like a rewarding project, although a lot of work. Frankly, I overextended myself this year. I’m volunteering at a community garden, my church garden, and the native plant garden at the arboretum. I also designed and planted a couple of pollinator gardens that need to be watered and weeded regularly, and they’re about 30 minutes from my house. That’s all in addition to other volunteer work I do and my “paying” jobs. I only have myself to blame, but next year I plan to cut back a little bit. I haven’t had enough quality time in my own garden. With that said, garden volunteering projects are very rewarding.

16. Les says:

The shots of the lake are beautiful, and Toronto appears as mirage.

17. bittster says:

The watercolor effect really works out nicely, and the thank you cards were a real nice idea.
    I get most of my gardening interaction from my blog, that’s turning into a good motivator even though selfishly enough I just like looking back through my own pictures, visitors or not!
    I used to volunteer at a local farm restoration for several years, but when I stopped by one winter and found my flowerbeds graveled over to expand the sales yard, I never went back. New people had taken over, and they had a different agenda.

18. I have never seen the lake from your side and must visit there…beautiful and as always your art and renditions are amazing…they are lucky to have you!