How Many Containers Do You Maintain?

Planters along a fence.

Planters along a fence.

This garden is a larger than my garden but is still considered small space gardening. The number of containers of artful plant design in this space is so surprising. I myself could never maintain this many colorful containers and I am not even showing one-quarter of what they have in this garden in my photos. If you look at the last post on the Train Garden, you will see many more container gardens and also what to plant in a shade garden. In the next post on built structures and garden ornament, I have more to show you, including some of the hanging baskets.

Containers suspended from the railing.

Containers suspended from the railing.

The reason for this post is because all these containers are so well designed and organized. Plantings are grouped within the garden, on the fence rails, adorning walls, and containers are used as a “foundation” to buildings and built structures within the garden, like the deck below.

Plantings hanging from the railing.

Plantings hanging from the railing.

Some you will see next post. You will notice, almost all the containers are made with fast growing annuals. There is a small fern and hosta in a few pots, but likely these are used like annuals. These folks have a large shade garden filled with hosta, astilbe and fern.

Interesting container gardening.

Interesting container gardening.

What might be useful to take away for your own gardens, is how many pots are elevated, either on the rail or on stands in the beds.

Artful planting.

Artful planting.

Walls artfully support planters.

Window display

Window display

While many annuals are planted directly in the containers in this garden, at another garden I will feature soon, annuals were still in grower pots and trays. While this is expensive to have such exuberance, it really made a statement. Plus it allowed the homeowner flexibility in arrangement.

Colorful watering can planter.

Colorful watering can planter.

The barrel below is beautifully planted. This large container gets the annuals up in the garden and also allows the vining plants to fall gracefully. This garden also changes elevation, so plants terrace down to where the trains are located. This also helps set off plantings as the gardens in raised beds step down.

Bucket-Planter

The chairs are planted with colorful sedum.

Chair planters.

Chair planters.

Below is the side yard which I did not show last post.

Side yard planting

Side yard planting

Hanging baskets are displayed in different ways, traditionally below.

Hanging-Basket-1

Wall planting

Wall planting

The planter below is raised on a stand, again giving the annuals some height.

Raised-Planter

These folks did a fine job in their garden. I hope you enjoyed.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to How Many Containers Do You Maintain?

1. Beautiful Donna. In Oklahoma the wind would blow over many of these pots out in the country with little protection. 😀

2. alesiablogs says:

I really would like to see that poodle more.

3. meander1 says:

Once again, I am so appreciative that you took the time to photograph this garden so thoroughly. It is really remarkable and inspiring. My brain is positively buzzing with thoughts of “hmmm, could do, should do, will do!” Thanks so much.

4. Nell Jean says:

What a wonderful display of beautiful containers. I never mean to have any. They tend to just evolve. When fall comes, they insist on being taken inside.

5. menomama3 says:

I prefer container gardening over ‘in-ground’ gardens. I never seem to get the cycle of blooms right in my backyard so there are gaps when there is no colour. I love annuals and the crazy combinations you can come up with from year to year, although I have to say some years I have had real disasters!

6. Lots of wonderful ideas! I especially like the chair plantings and wish I could find some chairs just like those. P. x

7. Very pretty! I love the chairs with the succulents. After my experience last winter with container perennials, I probably won’t do much of that anymore. Our winters are too severe, I guess. But I have quite a few containers with annuals–mostly Fuchsias and Coleus, because they perform well in shade. This year, I haven’t had to water them much at all because we’ve had plentiful rain. Usually, I have to water them every other day.

8. I love your pictures, Donna. I used to try hanging baskets of petunias (I’m in the low desert of Arizona), but the side exposed to the sun always died. My only container success was accidental–I had 6 vincas in small pots last year, which were nearly dead when we returned from vacation. In desperation, I replanted them together in a big pot, kept them sheltered over the winter, and by late spring, they were blooming in great profusion and hanging over the sides–a real eye-popper on my low wall in front. Vincas love the heat here, so they are still doing well, but I am surprised they like being so crowded. Like my sunflowers pictured on my blog, the vinca pot was an accidental success, so I am not sure I can repeat it!

9. The photos are just plain amazing. I have made multiple passes and I still get new ideals and inspirations each time I go back through them.

10. Victor Ho says:

I have always been confined to containers on my deck. It would be about an hour to water properly. It was a good time to think about the day’s events.

11. Beautiful plant arrangements. I enjoyed it a lot.. Thanks for the tour.

12. nodimlight says:

Seriously? About 25! I love container gardening!!! I love to move plants around and create change. I still love digging in the earth though. No amount of portability can change that!

13. Oh, my! All these pots and containers! They must have their hands full all year long to have them looking so beautiful!!! 🙂

14. Being able to move pots around is a real advantage. When a bare spot opens up in your garden, you can set a pot there.

Hello Donna, another fantastic post. There are so many creative folks out there, great ideas. I especially like the idea of elevating the pots.

16. bittster says:

Love the chairs! I think I need to think about elevating a few of my pots, just by a little bit, I bet it would make a huge difference. thanks!

17. My Heartsong says:

Like it says in the one photo, it indeed is a welcoming sight.

18. Most of my stuff is in containers. Of course, most of the are veggies, also.

19. I have way too many containers, but I can’t help myself. These are beautifully done. I just did a post on my shade containers and now I’m feeling a little abashed as they are rather plain.

• This gardener in this post has remarkable shade garden, filled with texture and color. I don’t believe you saw that post. Many of their containers were planted to get some sun and bright garden color.

20. Alisha says:

you always amazed me with your beautiful articles which is full of stunning pictures..thanks for sharing Donna

21. Beautiful tour Donna!

22. I love getting ideas for containers although this year I really did very little as I couldn’t…but I hope to branch out, experiment and let the creative juices flow again. I usually have at least 10-15 containers in the front and 10-15 in the back