Making a Garden that Welcomes Wildlife – Warner Gulf Gardens

Weigel-20

This garden has it all! It is heaven on earth to live in such a special spot, complete with everything to make peace with nature and wildlife. No pesticides were ever used on this piece of paradise. Want to take the tour? This little guy will serenade us…

Weigel-Pan

The owner built his gardens twelve years ago, brick by paving brick. His home is a gem being an 1840 farmhouse, a sturdy beamed construction with a foundation cellar made of local boulders. Being an architect, I was thoroughly interested in the home. But no more on that, we are headed to the garden lined paths to see all the built structures on the property that makes this place serene and relaxing.

Click the galleries to see the images larger. Many ideas for your own gardens especially siting ornament and structures.

The previous owner had a large organic garden to raise produce for a restaurant, but critters in this area ruined any attempt by this owner to keep the organic garden going. Deer, rabbits, chipmunks, birds all enjoyed the fruit and vegetables, leaving nothing to the owner. He did not use any chemical deterrents, so rather than hurt the wildlife he so enjoyed, and rather than all the work to feed them well, he stopped planting his vegetable garden. Now the windmill sits among the overgrown field grasses and wildflowers in the fenced in space. At one time, the space was completely encased in netting, but it looks like the deer got in any way.

The gazebo is sited perfectly, just at the end of the arbor covered brick path. Here the numerous hummingbirds are fed and provide great entertainment. The property is 27 acres and includes woodlands with grassed paths to enjoy the walk.

Around the rear of the historic home, there is a deck overlooking the valley and a fun hot tub, for those cool, but cozy dips at the end of a long day. I told the owner he has a piece of heaven, I could easily find myself painting leisurely in his gardens.

Weigel-FlagsOn Nature and Wildlife Pics, see a very angry Red-tailed Hawk in flight. See the talons clenched and the beak open in call. ACTION SHOTS!!! Then see some of the hummingbirds visiting this garden above. Wildlife is why gardens should be built. We just reap the benefits too.

This entry was posted in garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Making a Garden that Welcomes Wildlife – Warner Gulf Gardens

It’s a lovely garden! It’s wonderful that he’s been able to garden so successfully despite the deer (and other critters). Even with my modest attempts to garden, I’ve just about given up because of our deer and groundhogs!

2. Very lovely– and extensive– gardens.

3. cindy knoke says:

so lovely and welcoming~

4. Pat says:

Beautiful.

5. My Heartsong says:

Wow, could spend hours here, a beautiful oasis.

6. Rose says:

What a beautiful place! I think I could just sit in that gazebo for hours!

7. meander1 says:

Sigh…yes, it looks like the ultimate place to just breathe and relax…ha, unless you are the owner/gardener…then you have to do some work! But, that’s ok, it’s worth it.

8. Annette says:

That is beautiful indeed – thanks for the tour. I’m in a similar situation with our orchard as we hardly get any fruit at all. It’s all for the birds!!! So I wonder whether I’ll turn it into a small arboretum instead.

9. What a beautiful garden! I love the decorations he has included, but more importantly – that he has a created a wildlife sanctuary!

10. What a serene place – if I have a garden one day I would love something similar – need to show that my husband so that he knows what to expect đŸ™‚
    I shared it on my FB page!

11. So relaxing and beautiful! It’s tough when you try to garden (either flowers or fruits and vegetables) and have to battle the wildlife. Beautiful photos and I loved the banners in the last photo. Really adds a bright spot to that area. They look like screened prints from Hawaii.

12. bittster says:

What a calming space. I could spend all day there with just a couple drinks and a book. All the structures really make the garden special and I like to see all that creativity. At first the stone structures might seem like too much for an old farmhouse, but it really works out perfectly!

13. eilahillanueva says:

as i simply view this photos it feel so great it is so a wonderful garden, a calm and a fresh air to breath i been dreaming to have a garden like this,,

14. Alisha says:

of course it is heaven on earth…amazing..

15. I can imagine how hard it would be to veg garden with all that wildlife…hard enough in my small patch…love the front walk and the back pond area.