Photo Blogs – Not What I Thought

Vespa-crabroMicro Nikkor 105mm

I always thought photo blogs were smoking hot in high visitation numbers. I even thought they were popular among those photo snatchers too.

I always assumed garden blogs were much less visited. But what floored me…

was photo blogs. Just take a scroll through the WP Reader and you see post after post with 0 comments and 0 Likes. Likely, no one is viewing the post. How sad. Sometimes I view them just so they have a visitor and a comment.

The other day I was reading one, and in post he mentioned only getting 20 views a day and on a great day 50. I was left dumb-struck. So this got me thinking as to why since the photos on these blogs are beautiful. Plus, going out to shoot nature takes time. So why the poor visiting numbers?

Another I saw a few days ago had the best professional photos (Nat Geo good) of prairie dogs and the story was very heartfelt on the cute little rodents losing their homes to development. This wildlife blogger had no comments and 2 Likes after two days. It really questions what people think is really good photography?

Obviously, some photo blogs do very well, I was just surprised at some that I thought did, yet didn’t.

So how does one stand out in this endless sea of photo bloggers? Personal stories, something helpful, entertaining or incites discussion. It did not help the prairie dog post.

Glad I did not class my new blog as a photo blog! Nature and Wildlife Pics thanks those that have chosen to follow or visit.

I have been sneaking in some gardens for you gardeners, so I think you will enjoy it. Much of what you see here of nature, you can see there if you enjoy these images. Some are much more dramatic like my angry hawk photos. So unusual, I posted some of the 100 images taken of the hawks on GWGT, along with the story trying to find out why they exhibited this odd behavior.

I just got done saying on Nature and Wildlife Pics that I never saw a Great Spangled Fritillary and what shows up in numbers? If you saw my garden this past week, you saw I have an abundance of flowers in bloom. I have been seeing this butterfly everywhere now. It might be a local irruption.

Click the gallery to see my insects bigger. Bigger is always better. Insects and gardens go hand in hand. I like my bugs and so do my flowers!

QAL28mm-300mm zoom

Next…a garden post on GWGT. On Nature and Wildlife Pics, a nature hike along the Niagara River.

This entry was posted in Blogging, garden and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Photo Blogs – Not What I Thought

1. Jardin says:

Stunning images. And I agree, it’s odd how some posts amass a good following and others not…. appealing Reader photo or snappy title?

• I wish I knew the answer to that question. I find it odd folks don’t often take a chance on a blogger they are unfamiliar, especially in the photo blogger forum. Garden blogs are a bit different because gardeners are usually interested in what others have in their gardens. I find when I post my own garden, the interest peaks as of late, where a few years ago, those posts were the least viewed. The open gardens I post get people curious as well. I am lucky to live in this area because there are so many gardens to post. I found though, they are not always to the liking of some gardeners and they avoid those posts like the plague. Again, not sure why, since the gardens I feature are immensely different in scale and design.

2. Rose says:

Your photos are NatGeo good, too, in my opinion, Donna. The photo of the snail is amazing! I wonder if the bee/fly is feeding on it? I don’t usually look at photo blogs, though when I have, I am more likely to leave a comment if there is narrative along with it. Sometimes it just doesn’t make sense to me either why certain blogs have so many comments and others don’t. The quality of the writing and the photos should make a difference, but so often it doesn’t seem to.

• Thank you, Rose. No, the fly was on the snail because the snail was wet from a recent rain. I think the fly stopped for a drink. As for comments, I think some blogs get comments from people hoping the blogger will visit them. Some posts are so poorly done, yet the blogger gets many rave reviews, all from friends or fellow blogger that they know will reciprocate. I also reciprocate, but I am always honest at least. I always read the post, not like some you are absolutely sure just read a title then leaves an ambiguous comment. That is one thing about blogging I am not too fond. I have seen some really well written, informative posts and the comment left is nice photo – when there are ten photos. I would be embarrassed to do that.

3. Oh the mysteries of Blogging ! – my own ‘traffic’ is very sparse and I think the most I’ve ever attracted has been twenty viewers on one day, and not many of who ‘liked’. There is advice available on how to increase your visitors, one is to visit and like many other sites yourself …. but I want to be genuine in my engagement with other bloggers and not ‘Like’ simply to get one in return. Sometimes I find people ‘Like’ me who have absolutely nothing in common with the subject matter when I return a visit – indeed, some are simply selling a product or themselves! I am not complaining – just stating a fact.
    So, I do find it can undermine my confidence if I let it . I get a lot of pleasure out of blogging so I will plod along, cos however small my particular showcase, it’s somewhere I can share the fruits of my labours, whether noticed or not. I really treasure the genuine Likes too.
    sorry for the overly long comment Donna – you always bring up such interesting subjects!

• I can relate to Eileen’s comments here. I don’t think I have a lot of traffic, but I do post a link to my Facebook page and I get quite a response from that. Also, as far as people commenting on the post, they have some misconceptions on how to do it. Eg. they think they have to have a Goggle acc’t, or a blog, etc, and it can be confusing to them. People might not comment on my blog post, but they do comment when I share it on Facebook. And if you check out your statistics, you might not have a lot of visits to your current page, but if you add the total page views (if they check out previous pages) you might be getting a significant amount of more views than what you think.
      And your photos are always beautiful! Thanks for this post- glad I’m not alone with low comments & likes on my posts (thought it was just me).

• I so do not depend on FB because I am an infrequent visitor there. I found out the misconceptions when I started with galleries. People are commenting on the individual images in the gallery and they never transfer to the post. I am glad at least WP shows the comments in the menu bar when you click the comment icon, otherwise, I would never have the time to notice them. I have no worries on visits to my blogs, at least so far on NAWP. I did not even mention in my comment to the blogger getting 20 per day my numbers because, one it is inappropriate, but likely he would have been really surprised because NAWP is so new and doing pretty well on post day. It does drop by the third day though, unlike GWGT. I guess over time when searches kick in, NAWP will pick up to be able to leave a post live for three days or more running.

• I am with you on likes. I almost always comment and rarely just pop in a like. But some do that all the time. I do realize some read, hit the like button and don’t comment for one reason or another and that kinda throws a wrench in how I blog. I don’t reciprocate likes. I only visit those that comment. Some I visit that will never comment here (certain photo blogs), but they are special cases. I am glad you left a long comment. I like to get a discussion going.

4. DENNIS GOLOMBEK says:

Love the Quuen Anne’s Lace shot!

5. Love the bugs especially the dragonfly ๐Ÿ˜€
    I’ve been blogging my paintings since 2006 and part of the ‘job’ is getting out there and interacting with other bloggers. You comment, they visit you and comment.
    Your readers see the links they leave and out of curiosity (we hope) leave a comment and visit the other links.
    It takes time and with so many blogsโ€ฆwell you know.

• That is true for the most part, but recently I have been leaving comments on certain blogs and the bloggers don’t reciprocate. After about three or so consecutive comments, I just don’t have the time to keep these bloggers in my reader. I could understand if they were out of town or had some issue keeping them from visiting, but when you see them commenting other places, you have a tendency to leave them in the dust. If they ever find their way back, i will too. As for links in a post, the stats on people clicking is low over all of blogging. I read the percentage somewhere and was surprised how little people use those links. Here, I don’t keep track. If I was selling something, I would, but since I am not, there is not reason to care if people use the links or not. It is usually for their benefit when I link to other blogs. It means there is something of interest to be found.

6. I wonder if you and I just had an unusual experience starting our blogs because of Blotanical. It provided instant readers and got us to the point where we showed up on Google searches. It may be hard now to get readership going on a gardening blog. Your new blog would garner readers because of your existing reputation from GWGT, but people without that network would have a hard time breaking in. A lot of bloggers don’t understand the importance of tagging either.

• I don’t think Blotanical helped at all in the long run. You can see from comments here how few of those that followed then comment now. It is ridiculously low for Blotanical readers visiting. Google takes up to six weeks to get the bots following blogs and generating noticeable searches. I have very few searches on NAWP, just a handful a day. I just connected the blog to Google only yesterday, so I expect it will increase. I agree with you on the network of GWGT, but I have gotten a number of photographers from WP Reader signed up which is great. Fresh new readers, so I link back to GWGT for this reason. I am not that good at tagging. If I were selling something here, I would be much better. I should put more effort into proper tagging and SEO key words.

• Diana Studer says:

both Carolyn and you, Donna, I found via Blotanical. My 2 blogs still draw readers, but I have less comments. A lively conversation draws in more commenters – as here or on Muddy Boot Dreams.
        If I was starting a new blog (without being able to lure readers from my first blog) – where or how would you start to draw a good number of readers – without that Blotanical tribe to launch you?
        New blogs I find if they are brave enough to comment, Found a delightful Austrian one to practice my German with just last week.

• It really is a big difference from GWGT to Muddy Boots Dreams in getting a dialog going I believe. She discusses blogging quite a bit, but often from the same angle in my opinion. I really am not a reader, but do visit when someone tells me our posts have some similarity, but I always find they differ in many ways. A long time ago I asked readers to click on links they see in comments to discover new “like-minded” readers, and I believe she does something similar now. I have no issue with traffic – last week alone was 10,000 views. I think Carolyn gets more than that. I do not question readership, just in this post was noticing such a poor showing on photo blogs that I follow and these blogs are all pros with far better images than I post in many cases. It seems such a waste to do such fine work and not be noticed. You ask where to get readers? WordPress does a fine job recommending my blog and I have gotten quite a few from there, far more than Botanical. Plus searches bring in readers that choose to follow either from images or topic once they find their way here. I find new blogs by those that comment here and on blogs I follow. I also get them recommended by WP. Many I visit were from these recommendations. I am surprised you found this post.

• Diana Studer says:

to be honest, I was Googling for mentions of Blotanical, and guess where I landed ;~)
            There are also a huge number photographers sharing their work on Google Plus. I think readers/viewers are getting swept away by the sheer volume of photos out there.

7. Merilee says:

I also have wondered why certain blogs with amazing photos and narrative have very few likes and comments. I don’t get a lot of comments, but I have a fair number of likes on a good day. Of course there’s that roller coaster ride when you are Freshly Pressed, when it becomes overwhelming for a few days, only to drop back to a few views a day again. What bothers me is when people skim through the feed and “like” a post without linking to it, looking at it and reading it! Often I have several photographs, such as yourself, with a story. Yet nearly half of the likes I get, the people never clicked on the blog and looked. Which is so disappointing when you’ve worked so hard. Now I usually just post one photo at a time. Why? Because otherwise, no one looks at all the rest!

• Likes are many times not a good gauge of whether a reader actually looked at your post like you mention. I always look at all the photos, but then again, that is why I visit many blogs. Freshly Pressed worked wonders on my blog. My numbers are much higher now than when I got that from WP. I find if I only have one image, then I don’t really get much in commenting. My blog has always had lots of photos, and I think people expect to see them with a story of some kind. I also find that readers here will click on blogs by those commenting. I encourage other bloggers to do this.

8. Pat says:

I love seeing all the tiny visitors to your garden.

9. I just got a new camera I hope to learn to take photos as good as you someday.

10. meander1 says:

Beebalm flowers always remind me of clowns with crazy fun hair. Your various pictures make me smile, think, reflect, muse, imagine…emotions run the gamut.

11. Victor Ho says:

As usual great shots. I like the snail and fly a lot. On blogging, what is the purpose? There are other ways to gain fame. It is curious to see who comments and from where. I am in Saudi. No one looks from here? But I commented on a local restaurant and was asked where it was by a Saudi. Lots look and few comment. Or no one looks. It’s all good. All the best to you.

• I know what you mean. Blogging being just a hobby, I have no stake in it. I too enjoy comments from around the world and those in my backyard. A problem with photo bogs is just what you mentioned. Some get many views and few comments. But you have to admit, when you post images as good as Nat Geo photographers, how can the viewers not comment? I see your underwater fish and they are as good as what I would see in that magazine. Nat Geo should call you!

12. Just because someone posts great content doesn’t mean people will find it. The poster has to market it or, as Carolyn said, find a built-in network.

• Why market a hobby? I have nothing to gain unless I chose to sell something. What I like about WP is new readers find my blogs all the time, just from the WP Reader. That is one reason I don’t have a WP.org blog. I enjoy growing my blog without a lot of input on my part. I don’t want to “work” for my blog, I like it works for me. WP suggests to me blogs that follow blogs I follow. They suggest blogs with similar tagging, and blogs of similar interest. I found out when I started NAWP that WP kept suggesting GWGT, I subscribed to GWGT just so it would stop showing up as a suggestion.

13. Emily Heath says:

I wonder if the increasing amount of people using a mobile phone to view content might influence the popularity of photo blogs. I always wait till I’m at home on my laptop or iPad to view your blog, as the photos would take eons to load on my mobile on the move and even if they did I’d be squinting at them.

It always takes new blogs a while to get an audience and sadly some people give up very quickly. Do it for your own enjoyment I think and don’t worry about whether you have an audience or not.

• Thank you for viewing my posts on a larger screen. I know I never even consider phones when preparing a post. I find getting an audience is something that needs putting in the effort, but I have yet to really take that step with my new blog. I have just been using GWGT for gaining views, but found quite a few new ones find the blog through WP Reader. I do blog for enjoyment, mostly the enjoyment of taking photos. As for an audience, I have been very lucky on GWGT and hope for the same on the new blog.

• Emily Heath says:

Another thought on photo blogs – if they are too photo heavy and lack much text they are less likely to be placed highly in search engine searches. I know some of my visitors find my blog through web searches, and that would happen less often if I had fewer words on there.

• Something else I just thought of while reading all these comments is that I find that blogs with a lot of high resolution photos in it take quite awhile to load and some people just don’t want to take the time to wait for them to load.

14. Don’t recall exactly how I stumbled upon your blog, Donna, but I am soooo glad I did. There is usually something interesting here, often something informative, and invariably something beautiful. Keep clicking!!!

15. I never knew to link to Blotanical, so I had to slowly build up my readership. It’s still relatively low (100/day, sometimes up to 150-200/day)…but, then, I also tend to be wordy! I didn’t start tagging until a couple years ago and I definitely saw my page views increase after doing that. (I’m still not 100% sure how that’s happening, except that I assume it allows my posts to be found by Google and other search engines.) I also started increasing my readership when I started reading other gardening blogs and leaving comments, which I only do when I feel like I have something to say or when a post really appeals to me.

It’s an interesting conundrum. By the time I garden, take photos, edit the photos and research what I’m finding, then blog, it’s hard to find time to read many other blogs. So I tend to go in spurts, depending on what else is going on in life. I could spend my entire life just on the computer!

In summary, I suspect that the (photo) blogs that aren’t getting much traffic haven’t had the advantage of Blotanical to get a good start, plus they may not know about tagging their posts or have time to visit many other blogs.

• You know, it is easy to spend too much time on the computer. My job always involved sitting at a computer most of the day, so blogging kinda just was squeezed in after I started working for myself. I did not do that working in a firm or I would have been fired. You have a very respectable viewership, especially having built it up like you did. I too disregarded tagging and keywords until kinda late, but luckily I was picked up in searches really early on GWGT. I think it had to do with the blog name. That is why the new blog has its name too.

16. Great captures and great thoughts on views and visitors. I don’t have consistency in views then again I don’t post as consistent as I should. There are lots of great photos and stories to be found on blogs. I enjoy the chance to see the world through someone else’s eyes. Hopefully WP will develop a way to better promote photo blogs.

• WP used to be better I thought with their Reader. I found many blogs that way and now I use it less often. I wrote to them about the change and told them I liked the old way. I agree with you, it would be nice if they had a better way to find photo blogs, maybe like 500px.Those good photo blogs need to be showcased. But there are a lot of “bad” photo blogs out there too. Some look like they never even used a camera before.

17. Indie says:

I agree with Carolyn – most of the blogs I follow I found back when from Blotanical. And that is when my blog started getting getting found as well. I don’t know if photo blogs have a similar community at all. It is too bad that Blotanical doesn’t work anymore – that is usually where I found new and interesting gardening blogs. At the moment my time is so limited that I usually just read the same blogs I always do. As the kids get older, I’ll have more time, which I’m really looking forward too ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck with your photo blog!

• I was very loyal to those I found on Blotanical, but many just drifted away, so I ended up doing the same. Some only came for the reciprocation. I like those that actually come because they enjoy either the images or the stories, not because they only want a click back. I am glad for those that still do visit and I like visiting back. I don’t know how you fit in blogging with having a pretty new house and kids too. I think being a mom would be a really taxing “job”, way more than a job outside the home. I enjoyed Blotanical and did well there, but even before it got so buggy then ended, there were too many folks that made it into a competition. I threw in the towel after some accused others of cheating. What a fiasco. Blogging is supposed to be fun and that sucked all the fun out of it. My blog really took off AFTER I left Blotanical.

18. I have been following your blog and enjoy reading your posts, Donna. I have learned so much about nature. Now I see you are an awesome photographer as well! Your photos are stunning. Sometimes I feel a bit awestruck and can’t think of something intelligent to say, but I love your blog!

• Thank you for following. It is OK if you have nothing much to say. I am just glad you comment. Some posts it is hard to say something to add to the conversation, especially if you can’t relate to a discussion. I run into that sometimes myself.

19. bittster says:

Your macros always amaze me… but I still hate the fly pictures :/
    Hey there’s nothing wrong with having a 20 views a day blog! I don’t really make much of an effort to get numbers up, its a fascinating area but I just don’t have enough time to take it on and more importantly I don’t really care that much. Like you said it’s a hobby and I’m never going to start a gardening empire based on my blog… so I follow who I want, rarely ‘like’ anything, and comment here and there to sometimes reciprocate, but mostly just because I have something to say!

When I first started posting I was actually a little embarrassed when people first visited. But I’m over that now and am really happy with how it’s going and the people I’ve met!
    Frank

• You must have really hated my post, The Purpose of Flies and Art of the Fly

I don’t think anything is wrong with 20 views a day, but some of these photo blogs are so beautiful it seems a waste for thousands not to see the posts. I almost feel guilty with GWGT since it is not a photo blog yet does really well in viewership. The blogs I am referring have photos far superior to mine. I should have copied the link to the prairie dog post. I bet I could have got him a lot of readers.

I thought it funny you mentioned not caring that much. I too have a “bad” attitude on caring about what makes blogging really soar – you know what I mean. The memes and all the “you visit me and I will visit you” phoney baloney. No empire blogging for me either. It will only ever be a hobby. Well, maybe if some giant sponsor came along…we can all be hypocrites once in our lives I guess.

20. Amazing photos; the bee and the snail are absolutely stunning. My Facebook friends are mostly professional photographers (over 550 of them), shoot for National Geographic, publish, and sell their work; your blog gets 40 to 70 comments when you post, I would guess that your blog and theirs (the best of them) gets pretty similar numbers. It could be that in your market niche-marketing universe there is a ceiling.

• Thanks Charlie. You are so lucky to have such accomplished friends. I would have no idea if my blog reaches the viewership of those very professional photographers, but I can only hope to one day. I don’t think my blog has reached a ceiling because it is so eclectic. My interests vary greatly and material here is always in flux. I get interested in a subject and write on it until I get bored and move on to something else. Same with photo subjects. I found on my last BOS birding trip that photographing shore birds really waned as does shooting some of the raptors. Now I need to start seeing those bears that are in our area. ๐Ÿ˜€

• I think photographs elicit an instant, visceral response from observers that’s hard to compare with the rationality one uses to reply to print posts. Brilliant images embrace the heart and it’s “Wow!” “Stunning!” “Marvelous!”–if viewers can even find words that remotely match their feelings. Great photographers are uniquely gifted humans.

21. debibradford says:

As a photographer and strugging blogger, my personal experience points to the fact that everyone out there has a camera and a message. There are SO many wonderful photography blogs out there that I cannot keep up with them all, including updating my own. It’s frustrating. You are 100% correct – it takes so much time to shoot, process, write and upload everything. Zero to few comments can be discouraging. So, therefore, my mindset in blogging these days is to do everything for ME and if someone comments it’s a blessing from the Universe! There may indeed be better ways to market photo blogs. Maybe some of us are just lazy in figuring out the best way to get our work out. I dunno….but your post really struck home today. Clearly! Most Excellent Post and I ADORE your macros and insect pics!

• Thank you Debi for your well thought out comment and personal experience. It is very true in blogging, everyone with a camera or phone is a photographer nowadays. I posted a series on this a few years ago and it still holds true. https://gardenwalkgardentalk.com/2012/10/30/tough-times-to-be-a-creative/ was the last in the series. Another problem with photo blogs is the egotistical aspect of the art. Some just don’t feel the need to see where their viewers come from and if they too have a blog. I guess they feel they should only visit those better than themselves, if indeed they think those individuals exist. ๐Ÿ˜€

• debibradford says:

Thank you for your reply. I shall click through your link and read your post, indeed! It is curious but I’m wondering if the sheer amount of blogs and our own personal time limitations have something to do with it. I’ve been on WP a very short time by comparison with most I’ve met here, yet I’ve attracted more “followers” than I ever did on Blogger for some reason. It may be that now more people are blogging, more people are sharing, more people have cameras in their phones yet there’s still only 24 hours in a day. If I read all the blogs and found new ones every day I’d be sitting on the computer all day and my butt would be huge! HAHA! Enough…I’m going to go read your post. Thanks again!

• debibradford says:

A second reply only because I couldn’t find a way to comment on that particular post. THANK YOU for writing that post. I am not a pro, either, but enjoy sharing my little photographs with the world. I cannot imagine being a professional photographer these days, in this world of digital. Thank you again!

Oh, how I wish I knew the answer to what drives traffic to a blog! When I’m looking at a new-to-me blog, I find it hard to tell whether they receive much traffic. Some blogs might receive lots of views from non-bloggers (who are probably less likely to leave a comment and can’t “like” a page). I also don’t really know how to assess what level of traffic is “good.” Is 50 unique visits too low? Is 100? With my book blog, the stats are all over the place–a link on a popular site or Facebook can drive hundreds of viewers to my blog or none at all. I’m not very good at guessing which of my posts will be popular. It’s kind of fun trying to figure it all out, though.

As for photo blogs, I prefer the ones that share a personal story or other information along with the photographs. I like context.

• You are in such a niche market that most of your followers are likely lawyers, writers, book reviewers, or reading enthusiasts. I do enjoy your book reviews, but also some of your posts on lawsuits in the industry. I think the number of views would vary to the market we find ourselves. I never have the issue with individual posts where I have few readers or many to the point of wondering why. Readership on each post is very consistence, where a certain number comes for each post no matter the subject. Searches and referrals might vary because each day a couple of posts get sort of viral where I have no idea how or where it originates. For weeks now, my post on flies has been very popular. I suspend comments on older posts and maybe I should not. Then at least I might get an idea what groups might be reading certain posts. I have checked the time spent on these popular posts and it averages for the time to read it, so they are not just coming for pictures. Another post the last few weeks has been on Sparrows. They are searching for clever slogans for saving sparrows. I guess my title was clever. I think there is a competition to win and that is why so many hits on those sparrow posts.

23. I wonder the same thing, my site receives very few views. I’m guessing the number of followers may be part of the answer. Even with few views, I will continue to share photos, stories and a tip or two.

Tamara

• I am not sure followers corresponds to views. I have a good number of followers and each day get roughly 1/4 – 1/3 the views of all of those followers and they are not all on the post that is live. I would think commenting on photo blogs would get you readers following your link, but photographers are not always a group that makes a point to comment. I found that out from my new blog. Comments are not nearly as many as on GWGT, yet the views are pretty decent for a new blog. This means they look but say nothing.

24. I think all of our pollinators are in your garden? I actually had a couple of butterflies the other day and was so excited! You always love your photos!

• Thank you. I do get a lot of pollinators – even the pain in the neck insects like grasshoppers. All my neighbors have their lawns and gardens sprayed, so all the bugs come here because the flowers smell better.

Your photos are wonderful, and I always look forward to them. I think a lot of people don’t get comments because they don’t go out there and comment on other bloggers’ posts. As for readership, who knows? There is more than one way to attract readers, and I guess the more ways you use, the more readers you will attract, depending on the quality of your posts. I am not on Facebook, though I have been told that is a must. The key is really to write material that gets a high google page rank. The more posts you have referred by google, the more traffic you get.

• I just mentioned above to a photographer that commented on photo blogs that it does not generally work to get them to check out where their viewers originate. They are a very selective group in whom they visit or choose to follow. I have my theories on why too. I really don’t like FB and visit rarely. I don’t make an effort to get FB friends either. So many garden bloggers are there, but seeing a photo here and there a few times a day takes up too much time and offers little enjoyment. I have no desire to check in every few minutes to see what “friends” are posting. If they are really friends, they would check out blog posts rather than FB posts (which in my case is almost nonexistent).

26. Mike says:

Terrific! I’ve been thinking of getting one of those Nikon 105mm micros one of these days. Do you like it?

27. That is surprising and sad really that amazing photo blogs have so few views…a few fritillary here too and I don’t usually see them.

28. Annette says:

Don’t know if your on facebook, my dear, but looking at the images there that get the most likes might help you understand why some good photo bloggers aren’t as successful as -we think- they should be. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Ha, I know, cats anyone! Here is a list of reasons I had in the post then took them out. It bugged me why the photo blogs were not what I expected.

1. The first thing that hit me was unlike garden blogs, many don’t venture out to connect with other bloggers. They don’t always stay loyal to their ‘tribe’ either.
      2. The next problem is some of them believe people should come because their work is better than the rest – without taking the time to visit those that visit them. Honestly, there are garden bloggers like this too. And they complain about not enough views on their fine work also. I saw one photographer I followed get down to no comments and a handful of Likes. His problem was he informed readers in his post that he would not be visiting other blogs. Death of a Blog.
      3. Some photographers are too limited in subject matter. Cats anyone? The same freaking cat no less. After seeing the same subjects for years, it gets a little repetitive. I show many gardens of others here on GWGT, so it is rarely repetitive. Birds, well, they can be repeated. Can’t have too many birds or bees! Just not CATS! And I have two cats.
      4. There are too many photographers. Heck, everyone on the web is one now a days or thinks they are. You need more than passable photos to be successful. More of what I am not certain, but more personality might help. More you! Some pros work is not as good as others, but they keep readers coming because they have entertaining posts.

• Annette says:

Wow, that’s a passionate plea, Donna…and I wonder whether I belong to the cat category too as I do like to show my garden from time to time and some of it is always the same, haha. Blogging is an intensive thing and I spend far more time visting other blogs then preparing my own. Anyway I agree, too many photographers and the quality is appaling at times.

• ๐Ÿ˜€ No. Annette, it is only cats in my humble opinion. As much as I harp on showing one’s garden constantly to drive readers into a state of boredom or apathy, the thing about gardens, especially yours more than the rest of us, it is always undergoing change. Not just the structure of it, but the changes over the course of the seasons. I have redesigned my garden three times because I easily bore of the same plants and design, but will not do it again as I want to move and start fresh on a bit larger and more natural property. My tiny garden changes over the seasons more than most, but it is still tiny. Only so much to show that is different from year to year. Your beautiful garden and property has so much to offer bloggers. I love seeing what you are up to each time you post on it.

I agree, blogging is very time consuming. I think for me it is in visiting blogs and commenting too. I limit it to who comments on each of my posts. I know that sounds a bit restrictive, but I get a lot of comments and it is hard to keep up with them as it is. I owe it to readers I think to visit them also. That is what I think the photographers sometimes forget about. It helps build a community of readers. Not all visit all the time, but it keeps the connection alive.

And quality. I have written on that a few times too. It is fine for those blogging as a diary to have photos of poorer quality, but don’t expect that others would find them interesting. It always reminds me of when people get home from vacation and invite all their friends over to watch their slideshow of the vacation. Most are not too enthusiastic to sit for hours looking at multitudes of images of their friends waving in front of the Eiffel Tower for instance.

• Annette says:

…and I quite often fall asleep, I’ve to admit, when watching holiday pics of others! Thanks for taking the time to write, Donna. I think, it’s great to connect and many bloggers -you included- have become cherished “pen friends” to me. Wonderful!

29. Beautiful photos + great topic! I often wonder the same thing — why some blogs flourish + others are left ignored, even if the photography/content is greater. I think a lot of it is simple internet set-up. There are millions, maybe even trillions, of bloggers nowadays across the globe + we all use different blogging platforms (WordPress.com, WordPress.org, Blogspot, etc). I think sometimes it’s just a ‘needle in the haystack’ situation where someone’s beautiful work goes unnoticed because the genre they blog is in so full.

• I do agree with you. I think it has to do with the genre too. I always thought when you research blog “likability”, lifestyle and photo blogs lead the pack, but in both there is such a flood of bloggers. Some bloggers in both categories take a lion’s share of the traffic too.

30. Jenny Deiser says:

These photos are amazing – and insects are a part of the whole natural balance. Beautiful closeup shots!

31. So kind you take the time to add a visit ๐Ÿ™‚ I blog for me and if my number is zero it’s OK as I am having a blast!